“Great central location. Good business hotel”

The Westin Chicago River North
Ranked #64 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I was here for a business meeting. Actually came down the night before to meet with a hiring manager over breakfast about a job situation. The hotel provided a very restful nights sleep and good workout facilities. The only downside is that only valet parking is available and quite expensive

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Bryan W, Front Office Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Hello Orso52,

I'm delighted to hear that we were able to help provide a renewing night's rest before your big day!

Although valet parking is the only parking we offer on premise, we do offer self-parking with Greenway for $52 per night. The garage itself is less than a block from the hotel and provides our guests with an alternative option to valet parking.

I truly apologize if this was not relayed to you and if you have any other questions or concerns either now or in the future please do not hesitate to reach out to me personally.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Stayed here a couple of years ago, and then again this past week for five nights. Quick and efficient check-in. We stayed on the club level overlooking the river. Note that there is construction going on right now on the river, and at times it was quite loud. As we weren't in the room much and it was over at night, it didn't really bother us. But if you're sensitive to noise you may want to request the city view instead. Nice food display in the club lounge, but alcohol is not free. One small irritant is that even though we got the same glass of pinot grigio every night, they wanted to charge us something different every night... something about a new menu. ??? They only had a few wines on the menu, so not that hard to know how much it costs. Anyway, that aside, the rooms were lovely. They had a fan/humidifier in the room which was very nice. Cleaning service was friendly and asked each day what time I wanted to room cleaned. (her name is Julie) They gym is top-notch for a hotel gym, lovely, clean, and well-equipped. We have to attend this conference again next year and will stay here again.

Hello Jamie S,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. I'm delighted to hear that our staff was able to leave a lasting impression on you and that you plan to return - we can't wait!

I'd also like to thank you for bringing the pricing variations in the club to my attention as well. I will follow up with our Food and Beverage team to ensure this is resolved and presents no further confusion to yourself or any other guests.

Bryan W

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Attended a conference in late February 2014. Whilst it was absolutely freezing outside it was nice a warm inside the hotel. Bar staff are very friendly and a great location close to all of the night life! Would stay again but this time in summer as it was way too cold for an Aussie to be here in winter! The rooms were great and the bed extremely comfy

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Bryan W, Front Office Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Hello steve b,

Thank you for your kind words and it was a pleasure to have you as our guest. Hopefully we'll see you again soon now that it's warmed up!

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Clean, good service, great access to restaurants, short walk to the blue line train. All in all an excellent stay. I really liked the 20 megabit internet and the big TV. The club lounge on 20 is a bit cozy and the food options in the morning are limited so if you're a hungry person, you might want to go elsewhere.

Room Tip: The rooms on the river end face the river. Otherwise you have an angled view.
1  Thank AgileDude
Bryan W, Front Office Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Hello AgileTraveller,

Thank you for taking the time to share the gift of feedback with us. I'm delighted to hear that our hotel made it easy and convenient for you to during your recent Chicago visit. It was truly a pleasure to have you as our guest and I hope we'll be able to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 3 May 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at the Westin Chicago River North last weekend. Welcoming and helpful front desk staff, lounge staff & Club Staff. We were on the 20th floor, room was comfortable and quiet, bathroom well-appointed & views would be hard to beat. We had dinner in the lounge one night, steak was prepared well with substitutions as requested -- no hassles. My one thought would be breakfast could use some upgrades (protein besides hard boiled eggs would be great).

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Bryan W, Front Office Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2014

Hello TravelerSophia,

I'm delighted to hear that your recent stay was so refreshing! I'm glad to see that our staff was able to make a positive impact on your recent stay, and we truly appreciate the gift of feedback you've given us regarding the breakfast items in the Westin Executive Club Lounge.

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and we all look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Hotel is in great shape. Looks newly renovated. Downstairs bar and lobby area are nice. Rooms were updated, had infinity shower head and nice views in the rooms. Beds were comfy. Location is great, right in downtown, everything we did was very close and this is exactly what we expected. The hotel also gave us a lat checkout of 3pm no problem after we partied until dawn. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello TYSON P,

Thank you for sharing this wonderful note with us! I'm delighted to hear that you were able to refresh and renew with the Heavenly Bed and Heavenly Shower. The complimentary 3pm check-out offered on Sundays with Westin Weekend is a newer addition to the Westin brand, and I'm delighted to hear that it had a positive impact on your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to Chicago!

Reviewed 30 April 2014

I agree with the other reviewers who think this is a great location, because it really is. But what you usually find with a great location is a lack of effort to do anything else well. This is usually the case with some restaurants, but apparently certain hotels also follow this same self-righteous approach to running a business.
This was my first stay at a Westin and my first time in Chicago. The temp was about 32.1 degrees and it was pouring down rain. From the start, the bad weather made the location a moo point (cows wouldn't like it so why would I). Upon arrival I checked in at the front desk and was told something was wrong with my company credit card, so I would need to use another one. I never had any issues with the card before or after my stay at the Westin, so the problem is still a mystery. I was told they would try to resolve it, but in the end they just charged my personal card. They also said that internet was free and to ignore the disclaimer about charges when logging on. At the end of my stay I had $45 in internet charges and all I did was log on to my email from my phone a few times. I was surprised they would charge for internet at all, but $15 a day is ridiculous. I complained about the chargers and suggested there may have been some type of miscommunication. They said they would look in it, but I never heard back. My guess is with all the complaints the Westin must receive, my situation was trivial.
The other issues I had was the food. The prices did not match the quality. Albeit, we only ate breakfast there, the prices were enormously inflated for extremely standard fare . I have had better food at Denny's (seriously, I ate there a few weeks ago―not proud). And the Latte I had at the Westin will go down as the worst and most expensive of my whole life. There were also ants on the floor in the restaurant. That wasn't horrible, but shows some lack of concern for detail.
Overall, the people were friendly (especially the bartenders) and my room was adequate, but the place was just too expensive for the experience. At the end of my 3 night stay, my bill was $750 dollars and that was with some type of group rate discount. I cant imagine paying more for three nights.
I have heard good things about other Westins, so I hope this one starts taking the customer criticisms seriously, instead of sending out generic corporate apologies.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Hello jerome d,

Thank you for sharing the gift of feedback with us. I'm truly sorry to see the troubles you had while here and I certainly wish there would have been better weather while you were here as well. I will follow up with our team regarding the concerns you've mentioned so that we may work to correct these moving forward.

It is my sincere hope that we'll have the opportunity to welcome you back and I'd ask that you reach out to me before any future visits so that I may work with you moving forward and ensure your complete satisfaction with any and all future stays.