“Great location” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #55 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
San Diego, California
“Great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed 5 nights, great location, right by the L (which we took from the airport $5), within walking distance to great restaurants, Michigan Ave, right by the river. Excellent accommodations (it's a Westin, of course). Very happy we decided for this one, we seemed to be in the middle of everything.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Bryan W, Front Office Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Hello Gaby L,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us!

I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and the location of the hotel. I certainly hope that you had some time to get out and enjoy the many great sights and sounds that Chicago has to offer while you were here.

It was a pleasure to be your home away from home during your recent Chicago escape; we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Bryan W.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
  • Korean first
Huntersville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I was speaking at a conference and only stayed one night at the Westin. From my first encounter with the desk clerk, I felt appreciated for being there. My plane was delayed 5 hours so I was tired and ordered room service. Both the food and service was excellent, and I received a call asking how my dinner was! I would recommend this hotel to everyone, only wish I could have stayed longer.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Hello Dolf D,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit so much, that your only complaint was that it was too short!

We look forward to seeing you again he next time your travels bring you to Chicago - hopefully for more than just a night!

California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have high expectations for Westin, and this hotel is just okay. The location is good, and the staff was friendly and attentive, but the physical infrastructure of the rooms seems tired and dated, and certainly not high end or luxurious. The bathroom was updated, and there was a captive iPod on the desk, but the furniture in the suite, the old desk, the silver seeping through the mirror in the hall, the carpeting, the very average couch, was all just 'meh'. The continental breakfast on the club floor was also just not on par with what I have experienced at other Westin facilities. The lobby facilities are nice, and the location is makes for an easy walk to some good restaurants.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a river view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello Michael F,

Thank you for sharing the gift of feedback with us. As a member of the Westin family of hotels we are accustomed to high expectations and we always strive to exceed them. As delighted as I am to hear that we were able to meet your expectations, I'm sorry to hear we fell short of exceeding them. We will be refreshing our rooms in the near future and this will address all of the room related feedback you've mentioned here. Once this refresh is complete we would love to welcome you back so that we are able to continue to build on the successes you've had staying at Westin hotels and truly exceed your expectations.

Plymouth, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I've been going to Chicago for years and have stayed at hotels in every part of town. This was my first trip to the Westin Chicago River North (WCRN) and I must say it didn't disappoint.

First lets talk about the hotel itself. The location is terrific, right on the river in and in the middle of the city. Maybe not everyone's favorite party part of town, but being right across from the House of Blues and near some other great restaurants and bars will keep everyone entertained. The hotel itself is very nice with a large bar/lounge area in the lobby with some unique drinks (I didn't like the Skyscraper drink though, it tasted like a mint man poo'ed in my mouth). Our room was on some irrelevant floor but was very large with a great view overlooking the river (more to come here later!), the bathroom was spacious and both had every amenity one could expect in a nice hotel in a modern urban area.

The staff was, I believe the expression is "Amaze-a-balls", or for those of you who don't speak 14 year old girl, they were really terrific. I arrived on a Friday afternoon about the same time as one and a half bazillion other folk who for whatever reason all drove separately. So how long of a delay was there with the Valet? Zero minutes... in fact the valet was the most welcoming representative of a hotel I've ever encountered. The front desk staff was cheerful and exuberant despite what was a meandering cascade of cattle like guests heading at them like a drove of the walking dead. But the lines moved faster than a Disney World ride and had more cheer when you reached the end. We had our room key in no time and were pre-drinking before we knew it. Several other times we interacted with either a concierge, house keeper or front desk employee and each time we were met with a smile and a very kind exchange. Thank you to all of them, especially whomever of them arranged the helicopter show...

Yes, I know this is what you've been waiting for. How could a hotel possibly arrange this for a standard guest? What is a helicopter show even? Helicopters over the streets of Chicago, is that even safe?!?

I don't know, its awesome and No.

But seriously, Saturday morning after enjoying a nice long shower I walked back into the room to see a Sikorsky S-64 Skycrane hovering less than a few hundred yards outside my window. It was directly above one of the bridges centered on the river. Just below on the bridge was a crew of men guiding a flat bed truck into position. Once everything was set, the men moved in to place four steel cables into position channeled down from the S-64 and latched onto the large metal base object below. After attached the sky crane then proceeded to rise straight up into the air to a height just above the surrounding buildings. It moved over the building just across and next to the WCRN disappearing from site.

BUT THEN IT CAME BACK! After apparently unloading its cargo (I mean hopefully thats what happened, I guess it might have dropped to the ground on the other side of the building, I never really checked into that. I hope everyone's okay...) he came back to his initial position for another piece. See, what this helicopter was helping to build was the communications spire for this newly constructed skyscraper. It was fantastic, and I believe arranged specifically for me, I mean I did make a joke about a helicopter to that first valet; and those people at the front desk, they apologized for some construction outside and I told them I love cranes. Put those two things together and I'm left to conclude that for my birthday the front desk manager at the WCRN arranged for a helicopter to preform a rarely witnessed urban lift directly where I would have optimal view (in a room clearly chosen by his other front desk lackeys).

The coordination and consideration put in to this show represent the true Chicago experience. An experience that could only be topped with by witnessing a majestic Zeppelin in flight above a chateau in Bern. But thats a review for another trip.

Room Tip: Ask for the helicopter view!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Hello Ashley B,

Thank you for taking the time to share this wonderful and certainly entertaining note. It was a pleasure to have you here and I'm delighted to hear that you had such a renewing experience with us while watching the events unfold just outside your window. There are always many curious and/or great things happening in Chicago at any given moment and I'm glad that you were with us when that moment occurred and it was able to bring you such joy.

Thank you again for sharing this with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Please feel free to reach out to me directly before your next Chicago escape and we will see what we can do about that Zeppelin for you.

Litchfield, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Convenient to downtown and not far from Navy Pier. We enjoyed the Memorial Day Parade. The cabinet has overpriced item as conveniences. Would not use those items. Very nice facility. Had 3 towels for 4 people even after asking for more, housekeeping only left 3 on second day.

Room Tip: All rooms were good.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello Robert E,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. I'm truly sorry to hear of the shortage of towels you experience despite your request, this is certainly not the level of service we aspire to provide and I we will review your comments with our team as well.

I am however happy to see that your overall experience was above your expectations and that you were able to unwind and enjoy the Memorial Day Parade while visiting us.

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest, and when you return to Chicago and stay with us again, please do not hesitate to reach out to me personally in regards to any special requests you may have.

Jupiter, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I recent stayed at the Westin River North in Chicago. The hotel is located just off of Michigan Ave. which offers great shopping and many restaurants. The hotel is very relaxing. The lobby could be better lit - it's a little dark. The bar is always full and the hotel restaurant can be expensive so i use nearby restaurants.

Room Tip: Ask for a city view room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Hello Jmpeters,

Thank you for taking the time to share this note with us. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and I'm glad to hear that you were able to relax and unwind while you were here with us.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time your travels bring you to the windy city!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

I had at one time five different hotel reservations-one could say I have too much time on my hands. After consulting with Chicago friends, I chose the Westin River North for its location and positive reviews. I was not disappointed. Great way to spend the three day Memorial Day weekend, starting on Friday.

The lobby is lovely and peaceful. I checked in early was given a lower floor room with a partial River view. It was spacious, clean with a Heavenly King bed, chair and chaise lounge, which I proceeded to fall asleep on every night. The bathroom was also good sized with a great shower and great Westin bath products. It could use a bit of updating.

The location is perfect-you can walk most places, with easy access to all CTA lines. The gym is excellent with 24 hour access.

I experienced two service glitches: one was having to call for some bath products after telling the front desk as I was leaving. Also when I tried to buy some trail mix the front desk person was unable to scan the product. After numerous attempts, for five minutes, I walked away. Probably some training would help.

Chicago is a great city: Millennium Park, the Art Institute, Michigan Avenue. Take the CAF Boat Ride. Eat at David Burke's. Enjoy!

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Hello Brooklyntraveling,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. I'm delighted to hear that your recent stay left you feeling refreshed and renewed. We appreciate the gift of feedback that our guests give us as it helps us to keep in touch with our guest's experiences with us and helps us to further refine our services.

It was a pleasure to have you over the holiday weekend, and we hope to welcome you back during your next Chicago escape!