The Westin Chicago River North
US$388
US$370
  • Restaurant
Central Loop Hotel(Chicago)(Great Value!)
US$737
US$564
  • Restaurant
Club Quarters Hotel, Central Loop(Chicago)(Great Value!)
US$592
US$599
US$727
US$692
  • Pool
The Talbott Hotel(Chicago)(Great Value!)
US$773
US$659
US$711
getaroom.com
2,062 results
All reviewspersonal trainerchicago riverheavenly bedgreat locationhouse of bluesexecutive clubfitness centerwithin walking distancethe loopvery nice hotelbusiness travelerlobby barfree internetlate checkgreat roomblue linefew blocks
Reviewed 13 October 2008

After searching for hours online for different hotels, the Westin made the most sense. So I called up the hotel directly instead of buying online, and wound up getting a great deal. Just ask about their specials... The woman that helped me book was wonderful, and made a note to upgrade my wife and I and treat us with VIP service... Sure enough when we arrived they did. We were upgraded to club member status, and were given a top level club suite. The view was slightly blocked by Marina City Towers (just across the street), but looking out the bedroom we could look down upon the Chicago River that banks on the hotel.

The room was huge. It was a suite, so it was a combination of 2 rooms: a living room and a door into the bedroom on the other side. The living room was spacious with a couch and flat-panel TV, along with a bar and a desk/office area with a iMac computer with internet access (which was helpful in finding things to do). The bedroom was in the next room with a sexy chase lounge, a very comfortable bed, and a huge bathroom. The bed was so comfortable that I am now looking into buying one of them - which i believe the Westin claims to sell - or they just slap their name on them, anyway they are fantastic.

The location, is probably one of the best features of this hotel, if your familiar with Chicago - this is right in the heart of the River North area, across the street from the House of Blues and Marina City Towers. Within walking to everything, you won't need to waive any taxis down, just pack a comfortable pair of shoes and enjoy the city!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank mandjj
Reviewed 23 September 2008

Got a room at the Westin through Priceline for about 60% less than booking direct. Had a huge room on the 7th floor with a city view. Very spacious, clean and comfortable. The room was very dimly lit with no option to increase lighting; and the wifi is at least freein the lobby (although an unpredictable and patchy connection) - There is no option to have breakfast in the hotel if you are not a Starwood Club member; but fortunately Einstein Bagels is only one block north up Dearborn and has a great breakfast selection. (Einstein also benefits from a strong free wifi connection from the hotel above it..... )

The hotel is right at a water taxi stop; and also more than close enough to walk along the river; or to Magnificient Mile. Its about a 3 block walk between the hotel and Clark/Lake station.

My only real complaint is that it took a terribly long time and tremendous amount of wasted water to get hot water from the taps. At least half a bathful before the tap was running hot. They really should turn up the water thermostat!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank JimJam_LippyCow
Reviewed 1 September 2008

Stayed here 4 nights for business meetings.

Overall Hotel was very nice. Only complaint was the meeting rooms downstairs for our company were very hot. After NUMEROUS complaints they finally managed to use the A.C.

Stayed at Embassy Suites Downtown Lakefront for 3 additional nights...WESTIN was much nicer and elegant.

Very good location also

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 August 2008

Very nice, classy hotel. All of the staff is friendly and helpful.
The rooms are clean, large and comfortable. Nice location.
You must eat at Sullivan's when here - it is only a block away.
I would stay here again in an instant.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank sheslyon
Reviewed 18 August 2008

I stay at Starwood properties constantly. I used to love the service, and I am one of those model customers - stay 30+ times per year, never complain, etc., but things are progressively deteriorating. My recent problems at the Westin River North are small, but continue the downward trend.

1. After staying at Starwood properties for close to 30 nights, I tried to use my points to book a personal stay - only to discover I had none. According to "customer service" all of my points were going to an airline, and they claimed I had authorized this. I asked for proof - a signed paper, an email form, anything - but they refused to provide any, and refused to give me my points back.

2. I originally was upgraded to a concierge level at every stay - once I corrected their mistake on the airline and began collecting actual Starwood points for real, those upgrades stopped. At the West River North, I was dropped down to the preferred level, and then to the regular level. For some reason, I stopped receiving the benefits that I had supposedly earned as a regular customer - free water, free internet, free health club access - all gone.

3. When I went to Westin's front desk to let them know about minor housekeeping issues - i.e., I didn't get a bottle of water, the soap was thrown away each night, and someone's used hair tie went from the floor into my back of hair supplies (ick). I was pretty nice about it - just "here's an FYI for your housekeeping staff." The attendant's response was to roll her eyes, tell me the water was the mini-bar's responsibility, and ask why I was complaining about the soap being thrown away. I had to ask whether they had ever heard of the environment in Chicago

For those of you who wonder, take 100 rooms * 2 bars of soap per night * 365 days per year * the number of hotels in Chicago, and ask yourself if you want that in your water supply. I've stayed in hotels (including the Westin) enough to know they usually don't throw away the soap if the same person stays in the room.

These aren't huge, and wouldn't be worth noting for a $100/night place. But given the obscene prices, and given the competition for valuable regular customers - surely they can do better?

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business