“Lovely stay”

The Westin Chicago River North
Ranked #66 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Yes, it's a typical Westin. But service in the restaurant is really warm and friendly, and they have a great little gym - well equipped with trainer on site. Cold eucalyptus towels, free chair massage, and protein bars after your workout. It's the little things that make it a comfortable stay.
Well situated next to the river, a couple minutes walk from Magnificent Mile. So central to everything!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Bryan W, Front Office Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Hello YULwoman,

Thank you for sharing this wonderful note and your recent experience! I'm delighted to hear that our staff was able to create a warm and welcoming environment and that you were able to take advantage of our location to see the many sights and sounds of the windy city.

We look forward to seeing you the next time your travels bring you to Chicago!

Bryan W.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,030)

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I was here for a meeting in January and the property is lovely. It was so cold that I could bear to walk very far but the location was great. Directly across from the House of Blues, Lucky Strike and Dick's, it worked out fine for me. I would return and I would recommend this hotel while visiting Chicago.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Hello DazzlinD,

I'm sorry to hear it was so cold while you were here! I am however delighted to hear that our location was conducive to your needs and you were able to enjoy your stay in Chicago. We look forward to seeing you again soon - hopefully with warmer weather!

Reviewed 10 June 2014

A few other reviewers have written that the hotel is ideally located for business people. As one of a tour group of 20 travelling from Australia, I can say we found the hotel ideal for tourists, too.

Our spacious, well-appointed room on the 12th floor had a bit of a view of the river, and we enjoyed watching boats and rowers, etc. The selection for breakfast was a bit limited and did not change from day-to-day, so after five mornings we were a little tired of the food. It would have been nice to have had an omelet station. However, the fresh fruit was lovely.

In the lobby bar, we ate two quick meals prior to evening activities with the group. Both were really nice, and not expensive.

We loved the city of Chicago. Seeing its attractions was an easy walk from the hotel. We would choose to stay at the Westin Chicago River North if we return.

Room Tip: Rooms that face the river offer a nice view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nocatnow
Bryan W, Front Office Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Hello nocatnow,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience and the gift of feedback with us. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and I'm delighted to hear that you were able to take in many of the sights and sounds of Chicago. Although it's quite the trip we hope you return soon - and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Very nice accommodations and conveniently located for business needs in the city. The staff were bright, cheerful and helpful. A great package. A big shout out for Sam, in the Westin Workout center. He went out of his way to help me incorporate differnent types of exercises into my routine... and is a great motivator.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Hello Dave J,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. I'm glad that Sam was able to assist you in transforming your wellness goals and that he was able to help motivate you as well. We look forward to welcoming you back again the next time your travels bring you to Chicago!

Reviewed 3 June 2014

This Westin is your typical business hotel...pretty conveniently located, standard hotel rooms. Nothing was wrong, but a few helpful additions could make it better.

1) They charge for Wifi--super annoying.
2) No HBO!
3) No pool!
4) Didn't like the pillows--too flat. They did not provide any neck support.

I know that number 3 isn't the most practical, but we were here over the really hot Memorial Day weekend and while up in the John Hancock tower could see all of the rooftop pools. I came back to the hotel wishing that it had one and was bummed to find out it did not.

The location of the hotel is pretty much in the middle of most attractions. It may have been more useful for us to stay on Michigan Ave, but nothing was too far a walk. Also this hotel is very close to the Blue Line, which is what I used to get back to O'Hare airport. Not a bad choice, but if you have the funds, splurge for something a little more special.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Bryan W, Front Office Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Hello Nikki A,

Thank you for taking the time to share the gift of feedback with us. We always aspire for our guests to have nothing less than an exceptional stay, so hearing that we only met your expectations and we felt like a "typical Westin" is certainly not quite at the level we would like to be, however we are very appreciative of the suggestions you've made so that we can continue to improve and work to always provide an exceptional experience for our guests.

Bryan W,

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Westin Chicago River North gave me the red carpet treatment...like a movie-star pup! All the staff from reception to valet, were all super pup friendly which made my visit such a treat. It's hard for a dog to travel and be away from home and our routine but the folks here gave me all the creature comforts to be at ease...plush doggie bed, doggie doo baggies, and food & water bowls. Added bonus a sweet new collar and leash. Very PAWleased...woof woof. 5 paws!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dexter D
Bryan W, Front Office Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Hello Dexter D,

I'm glad to hear that you were able to stretch your legs and have a ball during your recent Chicago escape. We're truly delighted to hear that our assorted Heavenly products were able to bring you some comfort during your travels away from home.

It was a pleasure to have you and your human companion as our guests - we eagerly await the day we'll have the pleasure of welcoming you back!

Reviewed 31 May 2014

This was a very nice hotel. It had better be, at $439 per night plus tax. Maybe you will find a cheaper rate, but at the time we came, there were no cost effective options available in the area. On the plus side, the rooms were clean and modern. I was lucky enough to get a corner room on the 15th floor, which included a stunning view. The room was spacious and appointed with modern furnishings. The bathroom was spacious and modern with marble throughout. There was a wraparound desk that was modern and comfortable. The sofa by the window would have been a great place to lounge, had I had the time. Complaints? Other than the price, I had only a few:

(1) The wifi was not included. At $439 a night, it seems crazy to be asked to spend $15 a day more for wifi. In most cities, even Holiday Inn and Hilton Garden Inn includes free wif, at 30% of the price.
(2) The desk chair was in poor repair and in danger of breaking (I should have reported this and forgot to.) But even absent this, I would have expected a chair on wheels with recline features to match the very nice desk.
(3) The “charging station” at the desk had only two outlets---not enough for today’s business traveler.
(4) The breakfast buffet was modest and boring (fruit, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, pastries). Would an Omelette bar and some other fancier options be too much to ask for a $19 buffet? Or at least some salsa and cheese for the eggs, and some French toast or crepes?
(5) Off the menu, the food was attractively priced. When I saw the food, I saw why. My $5 hash browns were perhaps 9 square inches. And my crab “eggs Bennedict” should have been labeled “egg Bennedict”. Who serves eggs Bennedict solo? The lone egg looked so lonely. I thought they ALWAYS came in pairs. Now I know to ask before ordering again,

I am a tough grader. Generally it takes a destination resort hotel to earn five stars. This place, based on the room design and layout, should have been four stars, but the collection of minor complaints above are enough to bring it down to three stars . That said, it is not a bad place, and I would not hesitate to stay there again. (at least if they lower the price).

Room Tip: The corner rooms (or at least 1525) are lovely.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank CWR01
Bryan W, Front Office Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Hello CWR01,

Thank you for taking the time to share such detailed feedback with us. All of us here truly appreciate the gift of feedback and see it as an opportunity to experience what our guests experience and to refine our hotel.

I'm certainly delighted to hear that you did enjoy your overall stay aside from a few items, and I assure you that I will be passing this on to the team and we will discuss this further.

I'm also glad to hear that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future. When your travels bring you back to Chicago please do not hesitate to reach out to me personally beforehand so that we can work together and ensure you experience the stay with us that you desire, and certainly deserve.