“Great hotel gym...even a personal trainer!”

The Westin Chicago River North
Ranked #60 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I'm trying to lose weight, and back home started six months ago with a personal trainer. It's been great because I get the motivation to push harder and am evening out problem areas and weaknesses.

On the road (which I am a lot), it helps to stay at The Westin. The Westin Workout program is the smartest fitness addition to any hotel. When you arrive the hotel lends you workout gear and New Balance sneakers in your size. You buy the socks - the gear is yours to borrow.

Here in Chicago the hotel goes one further. The gym has a full time assistant who is also a personal trainer. Sam just worked out the kinks in my left shoulder on the massage chair (for free). He's going to run me through a one hour personal training session tomorrow morning (also for free).

The offer of a personal trainer and masseuse is "going the extra mile" at The Westin Chicago River North.

Oh - and did I say the hotel is a five star property a short walking distance to all of Chicago's businesses?

But do try the gym. Borrow the gear. And book a personal training session with Sam. Tell him Wally sent you.

Until next time, Chicago!

Room Tip: River views are always nice!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Bryan W, Front Office Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Hello WallyBalloo,

Thank you for taking the time to share this wonderful note and your recent experience with us. We truly appreciate the kind words you've shared and I'm delighted to hear that Sam was able to help you reinvigorate your workout and keep you on the path to your wellness goals.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

There are newer reviews for The Westin Chicago River North

Reviewed 20 June 2014

We visit Chicago often and have stayed at numerous hotels. For some reason, I kept forgetting about this particular Westin – maybe because we had always focused on the area around Water Tower or had to stay down in the loop for business reasons. I finally remembered Westin River North and am so glad I booked it for our last vacation. It was in the perfect location, surrounded by excellent restaurants and most importantly, close to major train lines. From this hotel, you can easily get to just about any point in the city via the trains, and you’re within easy walking distance to shops on Michigan, Navy Pier, Millennium Park and The Merchandise Mart. And as mentioned, from this hotel it’s a snap to get to Wicker Park, Lake View and Lincoln Park because you’re near the Blue, Purple, Brown and Red Lines right nearby. And since it’s near both the Blue and Orange line, you have easy airport access via train, which saves a ton of money.
As for the hotel itself, it was very modern, clean and just about everything you’d expect from a good Westin. Check-in was probably the speediest I’ve ever experienced to the point I don’t even remember it. Our room on the Club Level was quite nice. It was a bit dark, but it was kind of dark outside and rainy so that might have been why. And I loved the little window seat looking out over the river. Showers were great, beds were comfortable (as usual) for a Westin and the room was pretty quiet. It felt spacious enough to me, but there were just two of us without kids so that played into it. For a large family, it might have been a little tight.
Overall I’d say the location is unbeatable, and if you are planning to explore the city by train it is ideal. Location was my favorite aspect, with the stylishness and good service a close second. We didn’t have any negative experiences at this hotel, and if I were using Starwood points in Chicago I would probably choose it again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Annagins
Bryan W, Front Office Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Hello Annagins,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience and your kind words with us. We're truly grateful that you remembered us this time around and we hope you remember us each time you come and visit!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Yes, it's a typical Westin. But service in the restaurant is really warm and friendly, and they have a great little gym - well equipped with trainer on site. Cold eucalyptus towels, free chair massage, and protein bars after your workout. It's the little things that make it a comfortable stay.
Well situated next to the river, a couple minutes walk from Magnificent Mile. So central to everything!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Bryan W, Front Office Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Hello YULwoman,

Thank you for sharing this wonderful note and your recent experience! I'm delighted to hear that our staff was able to create a warm and welcoming environment and that you were able to take advantage of our location to see the many sights and sounds of the windy city.

We look forward to seeing you the next time your travels bring you to Chicago!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I was here for a meeting in January and the property is lovely. It was so cold that I could bear to walk very far but the location was great. Directly across from the House of Blues, Lucky Strike and Dick's, it worked out fine for me. I would return and I would recommend this hotel while visiting Chicago.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Hello DazzlinD,

I'm sorry to hear it was so cold while you were here! I am however delighted to hear that our location was conducive to your needs and you were able to enjoy your stay in Chicago. We look forward to seeing you again soon - hopefully with warmer weather!

Reviewed 10 June 2014

A few other reviewers have written that the hotel is ideally located for business people. As one of a tour group of 20 travelling from Australia, I can say we found the hotel ideal for tourists, too.

Our spacious, well-appointed room on the 12th floor had a bit of a view of the river, and we enjoyed watching boats and rowers, etc. The selection for breakfast was a bit limited and did not change from day-to-day, so after five mornings we were a little tired of the food. It would have been nice to have had an omelet station. However, the fresh fruit was lovely.

In the lobby bar, we ate two quick meals prior to evening activities with the group. Both were really nice, and not expensive.

We loved the city of Chicago. Seeing its attractions was an easy walk from the hotel. We would choose to stay at the Westin Chicago River North if we return.

Room Tip: Rooms that face the river offer a nice view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nocatnow
Bryan W, Front Office Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Hello nocatnow,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience and the gift of feedback with us. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and I'm delighted to hear that you were able to take in many of the sights and sounds of Chicago. Although it's quite the trip we hope you return soon - and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Very nice accommodations and conveniently located for business needs in the city. The staff were bright, cheerful and helpful. A great package. A big shout out for Sam, in the Westin Workout center. He went out of his way to help me incorporate differnent types of exercises into my routine... and is a great motivator.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Hello Dave J,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. I'm glad that Sam was able to assist you in transforming your wellness goals and that he was able to help motivate you as well. We look forward to welcoming you back again the next time your travels bring you to Chicago!

Reviewed 3 June 2014

This Westin is your typical business hotel...pretty conveniently located, standard hotel rooms. Nothing was wrong, but a few helpful additions could make it better.

1) They charge for Wifi--super annoying.
2) No HBO!
3) No pool!
4) Didn't like the pillows--too flat. They did not provide any neck support.

I know that number 3 isn't the most practical, but we were here over the really hot Memorial Day weekend and while up in the John Hancock tower could see all of the rooftop pools. I came back to the hotel wishing that it had one and was bummed to find out it did not.

The location of the hotel is pretty much in the middle of most attractions. It may have been more useful for us to stay on Michigan Ave, but nothing was too far a walk. Also this hotel is very close to the Blue Line, which is what I used to get back to O'Hare airport. Not a bad choice, but if you have the funds, splurge for something a little more special.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Bryan W, Front Office Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Hello Nikki A,

Thank you for taking the time to share the gift of feedback with us. We always aspire for our guests to have nothing less than an exceptional stay, so hearing that we only met your expectations and we felt like a "typical Westin" is certainly not quite at the level we would like to be, however we are very appreciative of the suggestions you've made so that we can continue to improve and work to always provide an exceptional experience for our guests.

Bryan W,