“Tries, but not quite up to the competition”

The Westin Chicago River North
Ranked #55 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Fort Collins, CO
“Tries, but not quite up to the competition”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

I spent a week here at business meetings. The room just wasn't up to what I expect in a high end business hotel. An accumulation of little things became annoying. The mattress was too soft and I found myself rolling to the middle and waking up with backaches. The light around the mirror was too weak for shaving or putting on makeup. The low flush toilet always required two flushes. There were no plugs on the night stands and only one on the desk, so it was always a problem charging multiple phones, iPad & computer. Our room had three chairs, so at least we could relax, but they faced away from the TV. The staff was always friendly and sharp, but just didn't make up for the sub par room. I know I can get a better room a block south across the river for the same money or better.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Bryan W, Front Office Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Hello JGrahamK,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience and the gift of feedback with us. I'm sorry to hear that the rooms weren't up to your expectations and that you encountered several issues while staying with us. We will be undergoing renovations in the near future and thanks to feedback from yourself and other guests all of these issues should be resolved with this renovation.

Although the rooms did not meet your expectations I'm delighted to hear that the staff was able to leave a positive impression on you and your visit, even after you'd departed.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time your travels bring you to Chicago. When that time comes please feel free to reach out to me personally so that I may ensure that all aspects of your stay are above your expectations.

Bryan W.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
  • Korean first
Eltville am Rhein, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

The Westin has modern rooms which are equipped well and clean. The gym is just great for a hotl gym and offers what you need, even if you are used to real weights. The location is walking distance from madison Av and the shopping areas and park. The thing that did NOT convince me was the Exec Lounge. Breakfast good, but the afternoon snacks are just poor.

1 Thank UHen1
Bryan W, Front Office Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Hello UHen1,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. I'm delighted to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel's location conducive to your needs. We also truly appreciate the gift of feedback you've given us regarding the afternoon h'ordeuvres so that we may work to improve our offerings and improve our guest's experiences in the Westin Executive Club Lounge.

It's my sincere hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back when your travels bring you to Chicago. When that time comes please feel free to reach out to me personally so that I may ensure your stay is nothing short of exceptional.

Bengaluru, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

If you are looking for a wonderful location close to the downtown area Westin Chicago River North is the ideal one...

Also if you are a fitness freak and conscious about working out...this is the perfect place.
The travel light and work out program is great as all you have to do is order for a New Balance kit (shoes, shorts,T-shirt and socks) and use it for the rest of the stay.

The Gym trainer Sam has made my stay a pleasure.... He designed a workout schedule (customized for me) for me, was there with me for a couple of training sessions, and of course topped it off with a free protein shake every time. Amazing experience of working with a personal trainer who has surely the knowledge and interest to make your stay a more than satisfying one...

Cheers ... Chicago...

Hello MKGovind,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and I'm truly delighted to hear that Sam was able to make such a positive impact on your recent stay. One of our goals as a part of the Westin brand is to ensure that our guests are able to maintain their wellness goals while away from home and Sam, as well as the New Balance gear lending program really enable us to ensure that you're able to.

Once again, thank you for choosing to stay with us and I hope we'll be welcoming you back the next time you return to Chicago!

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

As an elite member of two major hotel families but only a general member of Starwood's frequent guest program, I was delighted and impressed with the top-notch treatment I received from the Westin Chicago River North's staff. In particular, I would like to thank: Michelle (reservations), Francisco (front desk), Sandra (Service express), Eric (IT), and Keith (doorman) who all provided outstanding service. Thank you!

The Westin Chicago River North is located on the northern bank of the Chicago River. It is easy to walk to lots of good restaurants as well as some Chicago attractions and entertainment. Highly recommend!

Room Tip: Corner rooms are roomy and comfortable. As of June 2014, construction on the Chicago River has begun...
Hello Sue R,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us! I'm truly delighted to hear that we were able to make you feel special and that these individuals were able to leave a personal and long lasting memory.

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and I certainly hope we'll be seeing you again soon!

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

I'm trying to lose weight, and back home started six months ago with a personal trainer. It's been great because I get the motivation to push harder and am evening out problem areas and weaknesses.

On the road (which I am a lot), it helps to stay at The Westin. The Westin Workout program is the smartest fitness addition to any hotel. When you arrive the hotel lends you workout gear and New Balance sneakers in your size. You buy the socks - the gear is yours to borrow.

Here in Chicago the hotel goes one further. The gym has a full time assistant who is also a personal trainer. Sam just worked out the kinks in my left shoulder on the massage chair (for free). He's going to run me through a one hour personal training session tomorrow morning (also for free).

The offer of a personal trainer and masseuse is "going the extra mile" at The Westin Chicago River North.

Oh - and did I say the hotel is a five star property a short walking distance to all of Chicago's businesses?

But do try the gym. Borrow the gear. And book a personal training session with Sam. Tell him Wally sent you.

Until next time, Chicago!

Room Tip: River views are always nice!
Hello WallyBalloo,

Thank you for taking the time to share this wonderful note and your recent experience with us. We truly appreciate the kind words you've shared and I'm delighted to hear that Sam was able to help you reinvigorate your workout and keep you on the path to your wellness goals.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

We visit Chicago often and have stayed at numerous hotels. For some reason, I kept forgetting about this particular Westin – maybe because we had always focused on the area around Water Tower or had to stay down in the loop for business reasons. I finally remembered Westin River North and am so glad I booked it for our last vacation. It was in the perfect location, surrounded by excellent restaurants and most importantly, close to major train lines. From this hotel, you can easily get to just about any point in the city via the trains, and you’re within easy walking distance to shops on Michigan, Navy Pier, Millennium Park and The Merchandise Mart. And as mentioned, from this hotel it’s a snap to get to Wicker Park, Lake View and Lincoln Park because you’re near the Blue, Purple, Brown and Red Lines right nearby. And since it’s near both the Blue and Orange line, you have easy airport access via train, which saves a ton of money.
As for the hotel itself, it was very modern, clean and just about everything you’d expect from a good Westin. Check-in was probably the speediest I’ve ever experienced to the point I don’t even remember it. Our room on the Club Level was quite nice. It was a bit dark, but it was kind of dark outside and rainy so that might have been why. And I loved the little window seat looking out over the river. Showers were great, beds were comfortable (as usual) for a Westin and the room was pretty quiet. It felt spacious enough to me, but there were just two of us without kids so that played into it. For a large family, it might have been a little tight.
Overall I’d say the location is unbeatable, and if you are planning to explore the city by train it is ideal. Location was my favorite aspect, with the stylishness and good service a close second. We didn’t have any negative experiences at this hotel, and if I were using Starwood points in Chicago I would probably choose it again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Annagins
Bryan W, Front Office Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Hello Annagins,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience and your kind words with us. We're truly grateful that you remembered us this time around and we hope you remember us each time you come and visit!

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Yes, it's a typical Westin. But service in the restaurant is really warm and friendly, and they have a great little gym - well equipped with trainer on site. Cold eucalyptus towels, free chair massage, and protein bars after your workout. It's the little things that make it a comfortable stay.
Well situated next to the river, a couple minutes walk from Magnificent Mile. So central to everything!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Bryan W, Front Office Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Hello YULwoman,

Thank you for sharing this wonderful note and your recent experience! I'm delighted to hear that our staff was able to create a warm and welcoming environment and that you were able to take advantage of our location to see the many sights and sounds of the windy city.

We look forward to seeing you the next time your travels bring you to Chicago!