“Great location, great staff”

The Westin Chicago River North
Ranked #60 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Florida
“Great location, great staff”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Great location, we took the El from O'Hare with just carryon the trip was great since we got into Chicago at 5:30pm and it would have taken forever to get downtown in a cab or limo.
A short walk across the river to the hotel.
Well maintained and comfortable, close to everything or a short bus or train ride to all the hot spots.
Everywhere we needed to be, we were given multiple suggestions of how to get there.
The staff is very knowledgable about the city.
Great restaurants in every walking direction!

Room Tip: We are spg members so we got free wifi, I am not sure if you get it if not members. Worth it to join...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Selawe T, Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
IllinoisTravelnut,
Thank you for choosing our hotel during your Chicago getaway. We are very grateful for your kind feedback and I look forward to seeing you again soon. I will also continue to encourage my team to give great recommendations to guests about our great city.
Selawe Tau

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
UK
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We have stayed at the Sheraton in the past in Chicago and this trip, I was stopping over on a business trip and decided to stay at the Chicago River North. The hotel is a classic Westin – Very good quality, it is located close to all the main attractions. It is opposite the House of Blues, Dick’s Last Stand pub etc and within a few blocks of Andy’s Jazz club, the Magnificent mile, Macy’s and Grant Park etc. Because it’s a few blocks from the magnificent mile the price is reasonable compared to the other Westin downtown etc and overall a good choice for those on vacation or business.

The breakfast buffet is average, standard American – if booking, get the breakfast inc. rate as it covers 2 people for the same price of 1 person if paying as an extra.

I had a room facing offices so be warned during the day to have your curtains/blinds down to avoid being looked into.

Room Tip: Ask for a room which doesnt face offices opposite.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank LondonTraveller999UK
LondonTravelller999UK,
Thank you for staying with us. I am glad that you enjoyed our location and amenities. If you have a moment, please email me at selawe.tau@westin .com so that I can make sure your room preference is highlighted for future visits. Thank you and hope to see you again soon.
Nevada
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Enjoyed our stay at the Westin. Wanted to especially acknowledge Sam in the Fitness Center. Asked him a few training questions and led to much more very helpful advice than imagined. Also included follow-up information that arrived on my phone on my way home. Great customer service!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Steve K,
Sam has been a great ambassador of our hotel and I am happy that you had the opportunity to meet with him as he helped to enhance your workout. Westin is all about “Being Well” and I often direct hotel guests and employees to Sam for his fitness expertise. I hope you are keeping up with your program and feel free to contact Sam for any further questions. We hope to see you again soon.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Solid Starwood property. Older building but well maintained. Good service and very helpful concierge. Stayed here many times for business and keep returning. Full amenity package including restaurants, bar, larger than normal in hotel gym and nice top floor Club Room for SPG Members or Club Room bookings.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are quieter. Very few have good river views.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Selawe T, Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Kirk,
It was very kind of you to give such positive feedback about our hotel and amenities. I am excited to share with you that we will be going through a renovation at the end of 2014 to renew all of our guest rooms. Thank you and I hope to welcome you again soon to our property.
Zionsville, Indiana
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Wonderful beds!! Heavenly mattresses and sheets. Nice bath tub/shower. We had many so many dogs here and I never heard and of them in the rooms. Very quiet..
Friendly staff thank you so much for your kind hospitality.
Perfect

I will definitely be returning

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank L2bridges
Bryan W, Front Office Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Hello L2bridges,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest, and I'm delighted to hear you had such a refreshing visit.

We hope to welcome you back again the next time your travels bring you to Chicago!

Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

I gave this westin five stars. It Is well deserved as long as you have reasonable expectations (which seems to be the problem with some other reviews.). I have stayed here the past couple years during the International Housewares Show in March. This is likely the busiest and hardest time for the hotel to meet expectations as they are booked solid for business guests months in advanced. As a SPG Platinum I temper my expectations during this time as I know its likely half the hotel is SPG Gold or Platinum. You see more people having business meetings in the lobby or walking around with rolling briefcases at this hotel over the 4-5 days than almost anywhere else outside of the Las Vegas CES show.

With that being said I still have not had to wait more than a couple minutes for check in, or checkout. The service in the lobby bar is on par with what would be expected any other day of the year, and the bell men and concierge seem at the peak of efficiency!

The one and only thing that seems 'iffy' is the Club lounge in the AM. It gets crowded with that many Platinum guests and expense account guests the hotel at once. I felt as if they couldn't bring food out fast enough, and the toaster needed to be set on fire to toast enough bagels to keep up :)... Granted it was free to most of us there, so why complain, it's better than shelling out 40-50 bucks for 2 people downstairs!

The hotel location is likely the best Starwood Hotel in the city, and there are some of the best restaurants in the city (some maybe in the country) within walking distance. This may be second to only the Trump a couple buildings over...

You will probably pay 200-350 a night here depending on the time of year etc... You will be happy you stayed here for that price. If they tried charging you 600-800 I would stay at the Trump or 4Seasons. But I know what I am getting at a Westin, and this hotel has been my go-to off a few years now!

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Tandtenterprises
Hello Tandtenterprises,

Thank you for taking the time to share such a detailed review of your current and past experiences with us. It's been a pleasure to have you as our guest over the past years and your kind words and loyalty certainly mean a lot to us.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I used to work for Westin so this is truly upsetting to me - Bad Customer Service. I made a Reservation thru Priceline and it's still NOT cheap. 20% discount of the Rack Rate is not bad either. The reservation just states 1 room, no bed info. So, I called the hotel to say that I needed 2 beds. The guy just said "you can't change your reservation!". I said "who's changing reservations? My reservation just states 1 room and no mention of bed/beds,so I am just making sure I tell you I need 2 beds". This guys did not ask for my name or reservation number, raised his voice for no reason. There was silence and then he hang up. I called again. Lucky to get a telephone operator who is willing to listen and help. I give 2 star. Because it was supposed to be 0 or 1 star but the Telephone Operator was nice. Your saving grace!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank roadwarrior0703
Hello oadwarrior0703,

Thank you for sharing this recent experience with us. I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you and is certainly disappointing to hear. We will review your feedback with our team so that we can work to prevent any future incidents such as this.

Please feel free to reach out to me personally with any future questions, comments, or concerns regarding this stay or any future stays.