“Chi-town”

Ranked #58 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Toronto, Canada
“Chi-town”
Reviewed 17 August 2009

Just got back from a 2 night stay at the Westin Chicago River North. Booked through expedia and was not at all disappointed. Location is 'top-drawer', staff were very friendly. Room was really nice and cleaned up very well daily. I did not eat on-site so cannot comment on that but there is a lot within very close walking distance as to anything you want to do in Chicago. Lawry's prime rib-awesome, architectural boat tour-awesome, Sears/Willis tower-awesome (get the fast pass ahead of time). Overall, very happy with the WCRN, did not have a river-view which was disappointing but just meant to actually get out and enjoy everything Chicago has to offer in person. As a note, if you like a little attitude, go to Dick's last resort across the street, the staff there are rude and they do it on purpose so if you like a little rudeness/attitude, that is the place for you, I went, great view of the river, great drinks and you can give it back to them and it only feeds the fire more.....all in good fun so take note of that.....enjoy....

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brisbane
Reviewed 14 August 2009

This is an excellent hotel! I only stayed because the Hyatt Regency had overbooked and had sold my room for two nights. How lucky was I? In comparison to the Hyatt, the Westin is an amazing hotel. Friendly staff, up to date and attractive rooms, great food in the restaurant - this place has it all. The location is also good, and the value for money is excellent. The attention to detail is also amazing. The rooms are wonderfully fitted, and feel cosy and inviting. The hotel is also quiet for those who are looking for a relaxing stay. Overall, I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
Independence, KY
Reviewed 10 August 2009

My boyfriend and I just spent 4 nights at the Westin River North during my ABA Conference. Bottom line is that I would NOT stay here again. First, however, I will mention the few positive aspects of this hotel. It is in a great location for food and nightlife (short walk to tons of amazing restaurants and cool bars). We tried Vong's Thai Kitchen, Frontera Grill for Mexican, Sushi Samba, and Lou Malnati's (pizza/pasta)...all of which were AWESOME. Also loved the Rockit Bar for drinks! All those places were just a short walk away from the Westin, so we were happy about that.

Now for the negative. Before we even got to Chicago, I had issues with the reservations department. I booked through the ABA's travel people and was supposed to have a "Deluxe" river view room, but when I called to confirm, the reservations lady was beyond rude and told me I was only booked for a standard room and there was nothing she could do for me. I then emailed the Westin customer service people and was IMMEDIATELY notified that my room had been upgraded and that everything was taken care of...So I felt better. Then, when we get there (just about 45 minutes before check-in), our room was ready - which was fine - but when I asked the guy at the front desk how long it would be, he said he had no idea and couldn't even guarantee it would be ready by normal check-in time...I was already frustrated because of my long trip and my problems with reservations beforehand, so this wasn't the perfect way to start off our stay.

The room: outdated, very disappointing for a "corner riverview room" - especially considering the rate we paid. We even walked over to the Renaissance across the street (we LOVE Renaissance hotels btw) to see if we could switch rooms, but they were booked solid -- so we decided to try and stick it out. I will admit the bed was comfortable and the shower was nice...definitely nothing fancy though.

Concierge service: had to wait several times for the concierge to even be at their desk...have mixed emotions about this, as one lady was really great and the other didn't seem to care much about helping us out. Did get a good list of restaurants though. :)

Overall - I wouldn't recommend this for the price. Way too high for what you get.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 8 August 2009

We had a great time in Chicago and a great stay at the Westin. The hotel was within walking distance from everything. The only time I took a cab was when I went to the Museum of Science. Our room was large and clean. We had a view of the river which was gorgeous.

They don't serve breakfast which is disappointing since many 3-star hotels include it for free. There is an Einstein's about a block a way. Also, in-room internet is expensive (another amenity that many 3-star hotels include for free) but you can get free wi-fi in the lobby.

The only disappointment was the elevator lobby on the 7th floor where our room was located. I think someone may have vomited on the carpets in that area. The smell was absolutely terrible. I was lucky not to have a room nearby the lobby - I can't imagine how the people near the lobby dealt with it! I could tell that the maids worked every morning to clear the smell by using some sort of citrus cleaner. It only masked the smell and the citrus scent dissipated within 2 hours.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 5 August 2009

We really enjoy staying at Westin Hotels and this was no exception. So why didn't we give it a five? Two things, One they only leave one type of each coffee in the room (one decaf and one regular), we both drink regular. The first morning my husband called and requested an additional regular coffee to be brought up...45 minutes later, we were ready to go, without the coffee. Saying that, when I filled in the comment card upon our departure, I had an email before the end of the day. Needless to say I was very impressed. Second reason, we were on the Executive Club floor, with included breakfast. At other hotels you get a bit of a variety, not here. Cantaloupe, watermelon, bagels, and hard boiled eggs. Needless to say we ate out for breakfast for the other two mornings.

Now Chicago. What a fantastic city!!!! We had such a great time and met some fantastic people. The wine bar next to the InterContinental has great wines and great service. We ate at Two of the restaurants they recommended. The one I loved I can't remember the name of was truly a locals place, buzzing with people who all knew each other. It's Italian and literially right behind the wine bar, down a flight of stairs. The food was fantastic would highly recommend. On our last night we went to Spring about a 10-15 minute taxi ride out of the center of Chicago. Again great food, but it was lifeless on a Sunday night. I would try again on a busier night. Again great service.

Cleveland
Reviewed 3 August 2009

The location was convenient to everything - we did a whole lot of walking because we could. The room itself was nothing special, although I will say the bed was very comfortable (albeit a double was a bit small for us). The cable channel selection was very limited - we wound up watching a DVD on my laptop. The lack of free internet, the posted charging of $1.50 for local calls and $8 bottled water created what seemed like an "out to get you" brand damaging atmosphere. Granted none of this is horrible, but there's other hotels as nice looking to please you rather than nickel and dimeing you.

I highly recommend visiting the Art Institute and Millennium Park. Blue line from the airport was a breeze to use.

Houston
Reviewed 28 July 2009

Stayed four nights as part of a a convention. While the rooms were quiet on the weekend, the construction of the building in front of the hotel entrance starts at 7 AM. Ask for rooms greater than 01-05 on any floor or specifically request a riverview.Being there on a convention, the hotel is not accessible by the convention shuttles and you have to wait at Harry Caray's for the next bus.

PS The Einstein on the corner opposite Harry Caray's is very convenient for breakhast on the go.

On the plus side, the hotel is within walking distance of the River North restaurants.

A note to the business travelre. There is no business center her and shipping packages FEDEX / UPS was quite a challenge.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business