“Great for families with baby in tow”

The Westin Chicago River North
Ranked #60 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 14 September 2009

I've never written a review before but since I have stayed at this property twice, I feel like I should. This recent stay was even better than the one before. I used Starwood points so I figured we would get a less than stellar room, but they gave us a river view room with a minibar fridge. I just used the space in the minibar fridge to store baby stuff that needed to be cool, and we used one of the hotel's very serviceable cribs for our 4.5 month old. I had requested a crib when I made the reservation but the front desk didn't have that info. No problem, though, they sent the crib straight up. One of the doormen in particular was very nice. He wore glasses and of course I can't remember his name. The lobby is great for strolling a sleepy baby who needs to go to sleep. Even though there were conferences in the city and the hotel the entire weekend, it never felt super crowded to me and everyone was friendly. It's in a great location and the only annoying thing is the entrance is hard to see from the road. But cabbies know where it is so it's not usually a problem. Oh and the internet isn't free in the room, but I believe it is in the lobby. Overall lovely stay.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for The Westin Chicago River North

Reviewed 3 September 2009

We used Priceline and got a great deal on the Westin River North over a long weekend in August. For the price, I really have no complaints. But, for a Westin, I expected better. We are Starwood Members and have stayed at many of the Starwood properties and this one did not feel up to par.

I called and requested a King size bed, river view, a fridge in our room, and a crib as we were traveling with our 2 year old. I was told no problem on any of this. When we got to the hotel we had to wait a LONG time to check in. There was a very long line and only two people working the desk, and one of them was only assisting Starwood Gold members. They gave us our room and we went upstairs. We DID get a King size bed, but there was no riverview, no fridge and no crib in the room. On our way out we stopped by the desk and asked for the crib and the fridge and we were told they would be brought right up.

We went out to visit with friends and go back four hours later and there was still no crib in our room. At this point we had a cranky toddler who needed to sleep! I called and requested the crib AGAIN and finally they brought it to us. I don't understand why I had to request the crib three times! We did end up getting the fridge also.

Other than that, we had no other issues with the hotel except that we just didn't feel like guests at a Starwood. We are used to friendly staff and people going out of their way to make your stay more comfortable and we didn't get that impression here. It seems like there was a lot going on at the hotel that weekend- at least two weddings were happening on Saturday night- and the staff seemed preoccupied.

For the price, we got a great deal on a nice hotel. But to be honest, I always expect more out of a Starwood property and I just didn't get that feeling at this hotel.

Also, we were VERY surprised that this property has no pool!

Reviewed 26 August 2009

Good value for the money -- rooms are clean, quiet and hotel is well-situated. Concierge is very helpful -- got us tickets for the CAF boat tours that we were told were sold out. Everyone very friendly and pleasant. Location is terrific -- within walking distance of the Magnificent Mile, and some great restaurants. This is the place to stay in Chicago!

Reviewed 24 August 2009

We stayed here this past weekend with a baby and found it to be a very relaxing hotel. The building is old, but the room was big. The location was also fantastic. We walked to the Navy Pier which was beautiful and also to Millenium Park and Buckingham Fountain and to the Magnificent Mile and everything was all very close. There are lots of restaurants to choose from within walking distance and the area felt safe. We also saw lots of other families with strollers so it's definitely a baby friendly city. We didn't have much time to hang out at the hotel so can't comment on the facilities there, but I'd definitely stay here again.

Reviewed 17 August 2009

Just got back from a 2 night stay at the Westin Chicago River North. Booked through expedia and was not at all disappointed. Location is 'top-drawer', staff were very friendly. Room was really nice and cleaned up very well daily. I did not eat on-site so cannot comment on that but there is a lot within very close walking distance as to anything you want to do in Chicago. Lawry's prime rib-awesome, architectural boat tour-awesome, Sears/Willis tower-awesome (get the fast pass ahead of time). Overall, very happy with the WCRN, did not have a river-view which was disappointing but just meant to actually get out and enjoy everything Chicago has to offer in person. As a note, if you like a little attitude, go to Dick's last resort across the street, the staff there are rude and they do it on purpose so if you like a little rudeness/attitude, that is the place for you, I went, great view of the river, great drinks and you can give it back to them and it only feeds the fire more.....all in good fun so take note of that.....enjoy....

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2009

This is an excellent hotel! I only stayed because the Hyatt Regency had overbooked and had sold my room for two nights. How lucky was I? In comparison to the Hyatt, the Westin is an amazing hotel. Friendly staff, up to date and attractive rooms, great food in the restaurant - this place has it all. The location is also good, and the value for money is excellent. The attention to detail is also amazing. The rooms are wonderfully fitted, and feel cosy and inviting. The hotel is also quiet for those who are looking for a relaxing stay. Overall, I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 August 2009

My boyfriend and I just spent 4 nights at the Westin River North during my ABA Conference. Bottom line is that I would NOT stay here again. First, however, I will mention the few positive aspects of this hotel. It is in a great location for food and nightlife (short walk to tons of amazing restaurants and cool bars). We tried Vong's Thai Kitchen, Frontera Grill for Mexican, Sushi Samba, and Lou Malnati's (pizza/pasta)...all of which were AWESOME. Also loved the Rockit Bar for drinks! All those places were just a short walk away from the Westin, so we were happy about that.

Now for the negative. Before we even got to Chicago, I had issues with the reservations department. I booked through the ABA's travel people and was supposed to have a "Deluxe" river view room, but when I called to confirm, the reservations lady was beyond rude and told me I was only booked for a standard room and there was nothing she could do for me. I then emailed the Westin customer service people and was IMMEDIATELY notified that my room had been upgraded and that everything was taken care of...So I felt better. Then, when we get there (just about 45 minutes before check-in), our room was ready - which was fine - but when I asked the guy at the front desk how long it would be, he said he had no idea and couldn't even guarantee it would be ready by normal check-in time...I was already frustrated because of my long trip and my problems with reservations beforehand, so this wasn't the perfect way to start off our stay.

The room: outdated, very disappointing for a "corner riverview room" - especially considering the rate we paid. We even walked over to the Renaissance across the street (we LOVE Renaissance hotels btw) to see if we could switch rooms, but they were booked solid -- so we decided to try and stick it out. I will admit the bed was comfortable and the shower was nice...definitely nothing fancy though.

Concierge service: had to wait several times for the concierge to even be at their desk...have mixed emotions about this, as one lady was really great and the other didn't seem to care much about helping us out. Did get a good list of restaurants though. :)

Overall - I wouldn't recommend this for the price. Way too high for what you get.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business