“If guest service is important to you, read this”

Chicago Marriott O'Hare
Ranked #116 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Usually, you see these reviews talking about someone’s overall experience or problems. This one will be a little different. The hotel was fine. It’s older, the outside especially; and the approach looks kind of desolate, with a big parking lot in front and no attendants or parking valets outside to greet you or make you feel welcome. It would be nice if they could do something to improve the curb appeal. Inside is better. The rooms are fine, amenities good.
The club lounge looks new and is very nice. No complaints. But I want to say something about attitude that makes you happy to be somewhere.

I was in the club lounge for Marriott’s frequent guests. I wanted to use the computer but it was stuck on something. So, this story starts out with something annoying. I asked the club lounge attendant who didn’t say, “I’ll call someone” but instead came right over and fixed it. Then, I wanted to print something but the printer wasn’t working or something was wrong with my files… I didn’t know. So, I called the attendant over again but this time she couldn’t fix it. So, she asked the Executive Chef for the whole property, who happened to be in the lounge kitchen, to look at it, and he came over. Why she asked the chef, I’m not sure; and why chef agreed to look, I really don’t know. But they did. He couldn’t figure it out, so he took me to the business center (he didn’t tell me where it was, he personally took me there). And he didn’t just leave me there, but said he’d come back in a few minutes to see how I was doing. Guess what, same printing problem down there. I think it was actually something with the way they have the computers set up – so Marriott, fix it. But a couple of minutes after he left, the Exec Chef came back! He did what he said he would do. And when I told him it still wasn’t working, he took me to his office in the kitchen, popped my thumb drive into his computer and printed my couple of pages right up.

At any time, the lounge attendant or chef could have said, “I don’t know” or “I’ll call someone.” But they didn’t. They took personal responsibility and initiative – even though it wasn’t the lounge attendant’s job and certainly not the chef’s job – to help me with my printing problem. Major kudos to them!

Does that happen at all Marriott-family hotels and with all staff? In many hotels, yes. In all, no. I think these particular individuals, especially Chef Craig, exhibited extraordinary customer care and is among the best reflection of Marriott’s goal to provide exceptional guest care (along with Victor at the Cali Marriott, which I recently reviewed).

And, by the way, the kitchen was immaculate, the cooks’ uniforms were clean and pressed and the Chef’s office was not only spotless, it was also a very cool design. So, it appears Marriott takes as much care with the back of the house as they do in front. Again, kudos.

If I could break the rating out, I'd give 4 stars for the hotel and 5 stars for the staff.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank SteveSto
TheOHareMarriottTeam, General Manager at Chicago Marriott O'Hare, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Dear SteveSto!
Thank you very much for writing the very detailed description of your experience while staying with us. I am so glad to hear to that Chef Craig was there to assist you and I apologize for the inconvenience with the document in question. Perhaps we can welcome you back some time in the future. Wishing you safe travels and all the best! Dieter Heigl

Reviewed 1 April 2014

My wife and I stayed here with a group of friends this past weekend and we could not be happier. The front desk made us feel very welcome, and gave great directions to restaurants and bars. The front desk said they had 3 weddings going on that night so they told us they would put us on a high floor far away from all that noise, this was very much appreciated. Our room was located on the 10th floor and faced west. The room was huge and extremely clean. The bathroom was clean and looked new. The upper floors 10, 11 and 12 are private floors that you need your room key to access, this is a nice feature. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Jim T. Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your stay. We are thrilled that you and your wife enjoyed your time with us. We look forward to welcoming you back some time in the future. Wishing you safe travels. Thank you. Dieter Heigl

Reviewed 27 March 2014

My daughter's wedding was at the Marriott O'Hare on Higgins on March 8, 2014. We had the time of our lives!! The people from the Marriott could not have been any more accommadating! Roberto showed us around the hotel and put their package together, Karen Frait took care of alllllll the details, and to Denise Mix who Karen handed over the reins the night of the wedding, we could not have asked for more!! I can not tell you the calls we received the next week as to what a classy event it was. The rooms have all been updated and did not disappoint. Looking for a venue for your next wedding or party, look not further!! Thank you all..

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Kat1052!
Thank you very much to write about your wedding event at our hotel! I will pass along your compliments to Karen, Denise and of course Roberto. They will be thrilled to hear what a great job they did for you. Congratulations again! Dieter Heigl

Reviewed 27 March 2014

I was relatively happy with this hotel. It's clean, comfortable, with good service. It's located near the airport, with a free shuttle that runs every 20 minutes. While there's not much in the area, it's convenient if you don't need to go downtown.

The rooms are comfortable, and the standard Marriott quality. The bathroom was nice, although the fixtures weren't updated (the tiles and counters were). The television was a nice flatscreen LCD, but no HD available. The gym had plenty of treadmills, ellipticals, and bikes. I wasn't thrilled with the resistance training selection, but the gym was quite nice. There's also two pools (one indoor and the other outdoor).

My complaint was the internet. At a cost of $14-18 per day (depending on which speed/service you choose), that's simply too expensive. Granted, the better service was sufficient to run Netflix or Skype. The paid internet is not available in the meeting rooms, and the conference-provided internet was slow! In this day and age, I would expect better internet service from a hotel.

Overall, I was happy with this hotel, and would stay again!

1  Thank FunkyMan3333

Dear FunkyMan3333!
Thank you for writing about your stay. I am glad you enjoyed it; if you would like to go downtown during your next stay there is a Chicago subway stop that operates 24 hours per day and will take you to the city within 25 minutes. Thanks again for taking the time to write the post. Dieter Heigl

Reviewed 23 March 2014

I missed my flight and was given accommodation in this hotel. the hotel is perfect and the service is also great. The staff is very helpful and the rooms have all the facilities. The location is also great.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

Dear Mitasvil! Thank you for staying with us and taking the time write your post. Perhaps your next visit will be a bit more planned. A Chicago subway station is just next to the hotel and will take you downtown in 25 minutes, and you can save yourself the $60 overnight parking costs! Wishing you safe travels. Dieter Heigl

Reviewed 21 March 2014

This hotel has had a really good updating and renovation. Rooms are well appointed and very functional. Hi speed Internet and great service all round. Only one restaurant but for a quick in and out or a few days business in the area, a good choice. Very convenient to O Hare. It is what it is and does it well

Room Tip: High floor
1  Thank Michael F

Dear Michael F.
Thank you for taking the time to write. Glad you enjoyed your stay. Perhaps during your next stay you have time to enjoy our indoor/outdoor pool. Its Chicago's only outdoor pool that is open 365 days per year! Thanks again. Dieter Heigl

Reviewed 12 March 2014

They have updated the property, waive my parking fee in the past, take you to the airport, close to the EL stop, has an indoor/outdoor pool and there rooms are clean and offer no hidden surprises. I would recommend this property if you need to be by the airport or have business in Rosemont.
Nothing bad to say about this place, the front desk staff were also very pleasant.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
TheOHareMarriottTeam, General Manager at Chicago Marriott O'Hare, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Dear Kevin m.
I appreciate your taking the time to write a post and also would like to thank you for staying with us over the years. We recently added a new exciting weekend package! Since the Chicago transit authority essentially doubled the fare for out of towners we put an offer together that includes CTA passes as well as food and beverage credits that make the weekend package very reasonable. Hope to see you again sometime soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chicago
O'Hare
Renaissance Chicago O'Hare Suites Hotel
Chicago Marriott Midway
#117 of 191 in Chicago
O'Hare
Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare
Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare
#140 of 191 in Chicago

Been to Chicago Marriott O'Hare? Share your experiences!