“Nice hotel, great value, wifi is not free, room quality varies”

Chicago Marriott Midway
Ranked #115 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
San Diego, California
“Nice hotel, great value, wifi is not free, room quality varies”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stayed there for business, in two separate nights, in early May. We booked it through priceline with about half price $65+tax.

The service quality of front desk varies but overall friendly and not rude.

Pros:
Great value if you book it through priceline.
Hotel is clean and nice. Facilities are well-maintained. Swimming pool is clean though smaller (about 10 meters long) than the picture looks. Jacuzzi is nice. Business Center offers printing for free.
Free shuttle from/to Midway airport every 20 minutes.
The location is conveniently close to the airport.

Cons:
Poor sound insulation. You could hear the TV or chatting through the thin doors between the rooms.
Wifi costs ~$10 a day, which is not what you would like to see in a 3 star hotel.
Without car, you might have to walk for a while to reach any restaurant. There is not much to do nearby.

Refrigerator was not provided even though I requested it on the phone. Either they forgot about it or they hoped I would forget about it.

The room quality varies. I have experienced two rooms. One was old with broken faucet and no microwave. The other one was better with microwave but the bathtub was clogged all the time.

Room Tip: Ask for a microwave and/or refrigerator if you need one.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Manager6520, Guest Relations Manager at Chicago Marriott Midway, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for providing us with your feedback. I appreciate you pointing out the highlights and areas of opportunity for us. I am glad that you were able to enjoy some of the many amenities that we offer such as the pool area, our 24 hour shuttle to Midway Airport, and our Business Center which features brand new computers for guest use. I am, however, very sorry that we did not meet your expectations in other areas. We are continually striving to improve our services and amenities. In fact, we are in the process of installing microwaves and refridgerators in all of our newly renovated guest rooms.

Take care!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I just stayed here for two nights for business training at the American Management Association next door. I basically picked the location because it had a walkway to the training building.

I was completely blown away by the service, the condition of the rooms, the staff and the amenities in the hotel.

The lobby was always filled with an appropriate number of staff for any questions. They helped me figure out how to get into town to do some site seeing and also how early to get a cab for my flight home.

Storing luggage wasn't an issue and the restaurant in the lobby has the most amazing chicken soup and steak. I'd stay here again in a heart beat.

Room Tip: Rooms in the North Floor three area are closet to the American Management Association walkway.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Manager6520, Guest Relations Manager at Chicago Marriott Midway, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Thank you so much for your comments, however, I believe you are referring to the Marriott O'Hare which is located next to the American Management Association. We are located by Midway Airport.

I will surely pass along this wonderful feedback to them. I just don't want to misinform any readers that might book our hotel based on being close to the AMA. Thanks for choosing Marriott.
Ridgecrest, California
Reviewed 2 May 2014

It never occued to me to stay here intentionally, until the one day I was stuck at Midway Airport without a flight home. Loyaly programs do have advantages, I called, I reserved, I was surprised with what greeted me when I climbed out of the cab. Stellar staff, great reception, comfortable accommodations, and the Concierge Lounge was tip-top. I was treated as if I was Mr. Mariott himself...over the top maybe but when you're at your wits end with weather and cancellations you can't ask for anything better that this jewel of a hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Manager6520, Guest Relations Manager at Chicago Marriott Midway, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us and we are truly glad that you enjoyed staying with us. Service is our top priority here and I am glad that you experienced what we have to offer, including our newly renovated Concierge Lounge that has a great view of the planes landing and taking off!

Come back and see us again on your next trip to Chicago!
Boston
Reviewed 16 April 2014

So Midway as a location is very marginal nothing around the airport, no good restaurants, not muc of anything so if you have to stay at Midway you owe it to yourself as a business traveller to stat at the Marriott Midway Airport
First the Concierge Lounge serves really good food and a very nice assortment of food
both breakfast and Hors d'oeuvre's
The rooms are fine not great but very nice, the hotel restaurant serves good food considering its location so all in all well worth the stay

Room Tip: Dont pay more than $180 per night
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Manager6520, Guest Relations Manager at Chicago Marriott Midway, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
We certainly take it as a compliment that you were surprised! Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay, especially on the Concierge Lounge. No matter where are guests are from we always want to make them feel at home. Take care!
Boston
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Relatives had stayed at this Marriott several years ago and highly recommended it. This year family difficulties caused us to make a rushed trip to Chicago. I can’t say enough about how good it was to retreat to this Marriott each evening. The staff was courteous and helpful. We ate in the hotel restaurant most evenings and the food was good and attractively presented which was a pleasant surprise. For a Marriott, the pricing is reasonable and the free transport to Midway 24/7 for this entire area of hotels is convenient. This isn’t a tourist area but there are plenty of stores conveniently located nearby. If you don’t need to fly into O’Hare for the northern Chicago area, you might want to consider Midway Airport and a stay at this Marriott.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay! Your warm comments are truly appreciated. Hopefully, you will chose to stay with us on your next planned trip to Chicago. Have a great day!
Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Super convenient to airport with great shuttle service. Rooms large, quiet, really clean and comfortable. Didn't hear any planes. Decent gym with Life Fitness equipment. Restaurant very good. Highly recommend if you need a hotel in the area. Will stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your wonderful comments! It seems like you enjoyed nearly everything our hotel has to offer. I will make sure to share this with our team.

We'll see you next time!
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 13 April 2014

The location could not be better. Liked the hotel and its staff. Easy in and out. Lots of stuff by the hotel to. My room was very clean and the bed was soft. Marriott has the best beds. I will be back to this location.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your nice response. It is much appreciated.

The beds at Marriott Hotels are truly amazing. So much so that I bought one for myself. In fact, all of our products are available for purchase at shopmarriott.com. It is definitely worth the price.

Take care. Come back and see us soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chicago
Hampton Inn Chicago-Midway Airport
Holiday Inn Chicago - Midway Airport
Courtyard Chicago Midway Airport
Hyatt Place Chicago Midway Airport
Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Midway Airport
Sleep Inn Midway Airport
Sleep Inn Midway Airport
#3 of 5 in Bedford Park

Been to Chicago Marriott Midway? Share your experiences!