“Very nice looking hotel with great staff”

Courtyard Chicago Midway Airport
Ranked #132 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
United States
“Very nice looking hotel with great staff”
Reviewed 17 August 2012

The hotel was very modern, with very helpful, courteous and friendly staff. The room was a bit uncomfortable- we had booked a king bed with a pullout couch only to find that the pullout couch was only a twin size. Not exactly what we needed considering we had two boys that ended up having to share it! The bathroom was in need of an upgrade- the shower was a walk-in shower and the curtain didn't go all the way to the bottom, so water flooded the entire bathroom. The floors were grimy in the bathroom and there was hair stuck to the wall in one spot, and the bed was miserably uncomfortable, but the lobby was fantastic. Our kids loved the pool area, and the patio out back was perfect. We could enjoy the evening while our kids swam. All in all this was a nice hotel, but would like to see the rooms updated or cleaned a bit better. The worst part about the hotel were the directions our GPS gave us to get there. The directions had us drive down Cicero Avenue for 17 miles which took 1.5 hours because of all the stoplights. But it wasn't so much the time, as the areas that we had to drive through- it was a bit sketchy for someone not used to living in the "Big City". Once we found an alternate route, we were much happier.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Springfield, Illinois
Reviewed 17 August 2012

The lobby was clean and the the front desk clerk was very professional. Check in was quick and easy. The room was excellent, decor is updated, no big heavy bedspreads, all fresh, clean linens. We grabbed the shuttle that is provided for all the area hotels to take us to the airport for an early flight and did not use the restaurant. It was convenient, departing every 20 minutes for the roughly 5-10 minute drive to Midway Airport. We would not hesitate to come back although I thought it was a little pricey for the convenience. The stay & fly price was $255 + taxes.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Chicago
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Our family recently stayed at the Courtyard Midway while in Chicago for our semi-annual family reunion. Being from Chicago, I (along with my daughters and son-in-law), had the pleasure of hosting this year's reunion. We looked long and hard to find hotel accomodations in the heart of the city, that would meet our family's needs. Wanted to give the family a true "Chicago" feel and experience but, between the room rates and ridiculous downtown parking fees, we had to broaden our search to include the suburbs and outter edges of the city. We booked the Courtyard and couldn't have been more pleased at the end of our reunion!

The selling points: they are located just 2 miles from Midway Intl. Airport, free airport shuttle, superbly renovated in 2012, access to dining, access to public transportation to take family downtown, affordable price and, the staff were very professional and accomodating in helping us through the planning process. Other hotels we were considering weren't as professional or simpply blew us off (wouldn't return numerous calls, weren't there when we showed for a viewing appointment)!

The Courtyard is in a hotel complex, along with eight other hotels of varing features and prices ranges. A little something for every budget.

Front Desk Manager, Jahaira Perez met with us, gave us the grand tour and made herself available to us anytime we needed her advise or assistance. Perez, along with the entire Courtyard team, took real good care of my family.

A good example is when my cousin (the mother of 1 1/2 year old twin girls) was putting the girls to bed for the night. One of the toddlers had lost her pacifier. OMG, she would NOT stop crying. Mom went down to the front desk to ask where was the nearest drug store so she could go and buy another pacifier. The young man on front desk duty called a cabbie that services the area. He asked the cabbie to make a run to get a new pacifer and told him, they'd pay him the money when he delivered it. The cabbie took the assignment and delivered the pacifier in Olympic time to the frantic baby and Mom! That kind of service is unheard of today.

Another example of excellent services: Cousin Stephanie found that the let-out sofa bed's sheets had not been changed since the last guest. She called downstairs and asked that housekeeping come and change them out while they were out for the evening. Came back after the Fish Fry and, found the sheets (still) had not been changed. When my cousin called the front desk again to complain, the front desk manager Jose came to their room, sheet set in hand and, Jose changed the sheets HIMSELF! I'm sure somebody in housekeeping got a tongue lashing for letting that ball drop!

Amenities: Open concept lobby, semi-circular booths in the dinning area great for eating or socializing, "family room" area complete with board & card games & books, large TV & comfy couches, direct access to TGIF restaurant through long hallway, indoor pool & Jacuzzi, exercise room, beautiful outdoor patio with seating area, bean bag toss & firepit! Like being in an upscale, luxury home. Spacious, clean, rennovated rooms, really cool decor throughout. Rooms do NOT come with a mini fridge but, if needed for say baby formulas & food or medicine, ask when you make your reservation and, they'll put one in your room.

Still had to pay for overnight parking at $12 a night but, day-time visitors don't have to pay. At downdown hotels, EVERYONE pays 24/7 wether you pay for valet or garage! Finding downtown street parking is like playing to Lottery!

Want to sight-see downtown (and save on parking)? Take the free hotel shuttle 2 miles to Midway Airport. Buy a one-day transit card and hop on the CTA Orange Line. Easy-peasy!

We got a great group rate of $119 per night for the four nights our family was in town. Book early as, they only have so many doubles. There were a few large groups staying there at the same time so, some of our family (who didn't book when we advised them to) had to settle for King rooms.

Finally (I've gone on and oooooon), if you're visiting the City of Chicago and, are looking for a great location away from the expensive downtown area, the Courtyard near Midway airport is THE place to stay. Great "stay-cation" option also.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Shareea
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 4 August 2012

It had been 2 years since I have stayed at this location, and I must say I like the new look. The color scheme of the lobby gives the hotela fresh modern look. This location is very close to Midway. Check-in was smooth and as usual the beds were very comfortable. I look forward to staying at this location the next time I visit Chicago even more than before.

Room Tip: TGIF is connected to the Hotel!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 July 2012 via mobile

Had to meet my son at Midway at 3:am. Spent all day on ths road. When I get to my room, when I open the door, I want to find my home, away from home.

The manager did work hard to try to resolve the issue. The thing I find disrespectful, when I took 15 minutes out of my day to respond to an email from the General Manager, Lou DeMarchi, I expect a reply.

A week later, NO reply. This means I wasted my time. Very rude to treat any customer. Being at Gold level with Marriott, meaning I spend over 50 stays a year, I would expect a fast reply.

The night manager, Ms Perez went out of her way to try to resolve the issues. She did an outstanding job. I would think after writing a long and detailed to the general manager, he would take at least that much time to respond.

Overall, I was very tired and expected a Marriott standard in my room, NOT a red roof standard. The saving grace was Ms Perez, the evening desk manager. This is one of the reasons I stay at Marriott.

The general manager could learn a few things from Ms Perez, like basic respect.

• Stayed July 2012
loudemarchi, General Manager at Courtyard Chicago Midway Airport, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to rate our hotel. One of the best ways for us to improve service is to listen to our guest’s feedback. Jahaira is very thankful for your praise and I will make sure she is recognized for an excellent effort. I am sorry that you feel that your comments fell upon deaf ears. I can assure you that I do my best to respond to all customer inquiries in a timely manner.
I will look through my e-mails and make it a priority to contact you so we can resole any outstanding issues.
Thanks again for taking the time out of your schedule to recognize a member of our team, it is much appreciated and we hope to serve you again in the future.
Lou DeMarchi
MA
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We were bumped up to this property from the regular Marriott next door when everything was overbooked due to Midway closing at 2 am in the morning. I couldn't have been more thrilled. The property is either brand new or completely renovated recently - it smells brand new inside and everything is sparking clean, modern and crisp-looking. The cafe' area is adorable with healthy and quick, simple (and inexpensive!) options for breakfast as compared to the airport... and much better quality. Free Starbucks coffee in the morning while you print your boarding passes from the dedicated terminals in the lobby area, too! The staff (Nicole, I believe?) was SO sweet and welcoming after what had been a long night full of delays and lines. She welcomed us as we walked in and knew our party by name without consulting the computer - said she had been expecting us and had everything ready so we literally could just get the key and head up. She made sure to offer us toothbrushes and other ammenities knowing everyone coming in hadn't gotten their bags back, and gave us extra pillows just in case. She was really so very sweet, but also knowlegeable and efficient, which speaks volumes. The room was fabulous, with a separate bathroom door closure, a king bed and a sparkling clean room. I loved that there was a focus on being green here with notes about it on the bedside table (very prevalent in Chicago in general - love it!)! The experience was short - 5 hours before we had to be back at the airport - but the people who were there were all great, smiling and very congenial. The hotel has a great vending area with healthy and even heatable meals (if you have a suite with a microwave, or maybe there was one for general use?) and lots of great lobby space. All in all, a gem in an otherwise normal "airport hotel" strip, which usually means well-used and shows it. Highly recommend! Oh, there is also a free shuttle to/from Midway right outside the front door.. every 20 minutes!!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 30 June 2012 via mobile

Beautifully redone. Easy access to MDW via shuttle. Free breakfast bar gone and replaced with better choices--not great for families but great if you're on the company dime anyway. Really great big screen computers in the lobby SAVED me when my laptop got a virus. Service excellent. My only complaint is the AC seems to be struggling in the guest rooms (thud the 3 rating). I asked to be moved because my room was too hot. Second room was better but AC system seems old and had a hard time cooling the over sized rooms.

• Stayed June 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chicago
Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Midway Airport
Chicago Marriott Midway
Chicago Marriott Midway
#113 of 190 in Chicago
Holiday Inn Express Chicago-Midway Airport
Hampton Inn Chicago-Midway Airport
Hilton Garden Inn Chicago Midway Airport
Holiday Inn Chicago - Midway Airport

Been to Courtyard Chicago Midway Airport? Share your experiences!