“Hidden Gem”
Review of Majestic Hotel

Majestic Hotel
Ranked #70 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I was somewhat apprehensive in booking this hotel as I am a self-proclaimed hotel snob. I entered the experience jaded and was proved wrong at every corner. Let me begin with the incredible check in service provided by front desk agent, Dan. While following all hotel policies, Dan was able to provide exceptional quality service when I was prepared not to receive it. Follow this by Mona and Omar and you have an incredible experience at a well-kept (although small) hotel located in a residential area. While not located directly at the action, a short walk through a elegant Chicago neighborhood places you right where you belong. I spruced up the room a bit by adding a cheese box and glass of wine. Yes, the walls are thin and I could hear movement outside and above me. However, it was not enough to cause an issue with me. However, for extremely light sleepers this could be problem. For me, the white noise app on the trusty iPhone, and my evening prayers, became my best friend. I loved the 24 hour coffee and tea, the wonderful breakfast, and the very comfortable lounge area. There is no pool or work out room on-site. And, let's be honest, the standard room with a queen bed was indeed smaller than I would have liked.I felt an added sense of security since there is only one entrance and one exit to the hotel-and you must walk by the front desk upon entering and exiting. No sneaking around here. And, I like that. Now, before bed, I shall sip some of the wine that was available in room, dawn one of the complimentary robes, watch a little television on the flat screen mounted to the wall, and drift away until breakfast downstairs beckons me. La de dah!

Room Tip: If you are one person, the standard room with a queen bed is adequate, but small. Personally, sprin...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Trip A

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Took a chance on Groupon for this boutique hotel. It's a great hotel. It's close to buses and the red line so getting around the city was easy. Our room had 2 double beds and a separate sitting area with a couch, desk and tv. It also had a small fridge and microwave. Continental breakfast was more than just danish and coffee. This would be an awesome hotel for attending a Cubs game and Lincoln Park Zoo. All within walking distance along with some great little places to eat. It's a nice friendly neighborhood. Yes the walls could use some soundproofing but I didn't feel it disturbed my stay. It's an old building so the elevator is very tiny but again nothing to ruin my stay.
I would recommend this hotel and would definitely stay here again.

1  Thank barbarabO8692OP
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Reserved this hotel through Groupon. Picked it due to the close proximity to where a friend lived. The hotel was very shabby. The room had paper thin walls - I could hear EVERYTHING that was going on above and around me. My hotel room had holes in the walls where pictures and mirrors had been hung and then were removed. Just no attention to making the interior look presentable.

For $150, I expected a nicer room. This room shouldn't have cost over $80.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Aimee C
marino44, Regional Manager at Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Dear Guest,

I want to apologize for the experience you had staying with us. I want to assure you we pay careful attention to feedback such as yours as it allows us the opportunity to improve our services and facilities for our guest. I would like a chance to speak with you further about your stay and how we may redeem ourselves in the future. Please contact me directly at 773-404-3499 or via email at keith@broughtonhotels.com.

Beat Regards,

Keith E. Scott
Regional Manager
Broughton Hotels

Reviewed 23 March 2014

My 19-year-old daughter & I stayed at the Majestic for the first time and could not have been more pleased! We were on a 2-night visit to shop and see theatre performances. The location was superb--close to Lake Shore Drive and 1/2 block from bus line that takes you to Michigan Avenue shopping, Millennium Park & theatres. We drove to Chicago & used the hotel's $22 parking option. It was much less than other hotels & more convenient because we could come & go if needed. The enclosed garage also made me feel that my car was more secure. You have to walk through another building & outside about 1/2 block to get back to the hotel, but it's not a problem even at night. LOVED the architecture and ambiance of the Majestic! Beds were comfy, room was well-appointed, & everything worked fine. It was cold outside, but our room was plenty warm. The breakfast was fine & seemed fresher than chain hotels. Every single person on the staff that we encountered was gracious, helpful & kind. We especially appreciated Dan, who guided us through the bus system to get to a postal store when we had to overnight a package unexpectedly. He was right: Bus 151 takes you almost anywhere you want to go! The young men at the check-in desk were also very helpful in orienting us to the area when we needed to drive to the Pier. The housekeeping staff members were also great & willingly agreed to show me another (empty) room so I could considered it for our next visit. I would change nothing about this hotel! Can't wait to come again!

2  Thank Memphisnative
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Doing campus tours of Depaul and Loyola. Looking for nice (reasonable price) hotels in that area is not easy (free parking, pool, free breakfast). We drop the pool and added $22/day parking through the hotel we picked the the Majestic. My wife and I like the old hotels so this was a perfect choice. I would like to go back again. The staff was very helpfull. The rooms and bed were clean and in good shape. We sleep well. Morning breakfast was OK. Coffee was very good (from a local roaster).

Room Tip: They put out fresh cooked cookies until 6pm. We arrived at 545pm, just in time to get the last batc...
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We had the pleasure of staying at the Majestic from 12/31/13 - 01/27/14, & we loved it. Yes, it is an older hotel, but quite beautiful, and the staff go over and beyond to take care of you. We are from Hawaii and arrived in the middle of a snow storm, New Year's Eve & within 10 min., of checking in "Mona", had us on our way to a fun bar "Rocks" w/t great food, & within walking distance. A romantic start for the New Year!! We were in Chicago visiting our son who's receiving medical treatment there, so somedays I would really be dragging & I was always met with smiles, and my room was always very clean & fresh smelling. There was always coffee, tea, & hot chocolate available.The staff really make the "Majestic". Mona, Dan, Cory, & Tavian not only do they take good care of you, but they also work well together. They were always ready to answer any questions, give directions, or hail a taxi for you. Coffee, tea, & hot chocolate is available 24/7, oh and the mini bars in the rooms are the most inexpensive I have ever seen. I can't wait for my next trip to Chicago!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Yvette T
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Stayed one night (special trip here for my birthday) and would love to stay here again. Great location! It's right by the lakefront, walkable distance to Wrigley Field, short cab ride to Music Box Theatre, walkable to great restaurants, etc... Breakfast was only OK for me (dairy allergy and they didn't have dairy-free milk for my coffee nor much for me to eat) but my guy was happy enough with the breakfast. Coffee was good (most important, right?!). The room was clean and very comfortable (if a little small). Shower was GREAT! Good pressure and water stayed HOT for a lovely LONG shower. The robes are super comfortable. The staff was professional, courteous, and super helpful. Did I mention I would TOTALLY stay here again?

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple