“Best in Wrigleyville”
Review of Majestic Hotel

Majestic Hotel
Ranked #52 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 27 July 2014

The Majestic boutique hotel is located in the very nice neighborhood of Wrigleyville in Chicago. The Staff at this older hotel is amazing. They make other Chicago hotel workers look like amateurs. They are knowlegeable, and genuinely caring. Our first encounter was with Mona at check in and she set a standard that was carried forward with all the staff.
The neighborhood gets its name from Wrigley field which is a 10 minute walk from the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul M
There are newer reviews for Majestic Hotel

Reviewed 27 July 2014

This charming vintage building in Lakeview East, just steps away from the lake and walking distance to Wrigley Field, brought back poignant memories for me. I lived just four blocks north of the Majestic some 20 years ago, and walked my dog by it regularly when it was probably one of many apartment buildings just like it in the neighborhood (although I didn't ask about its history). I have tried most of the vintage boutique conversions in that part of town over the last few years, and this is by far my favorite.

We had a sun-room suite - large and roomy, with a nook for the closet, sink, microwave, and refrigerator. The closet had an iron and board efficiently tucked away. The space was well-planned given that they were working with an existing structure. The bathroom was adequate - everything worked just fine, although stuff kept falling off that tiny glass shelf above the sink. Probably best to just forego using it, and rely on the ample wood shelving on the walls. The sweet spot was the sun room - lovely place to sit among the mature trees and enjoy the sights on the street by day, and roll down the black-out shades and benefit from a second sleeping area by night.

The hotel had a diverse clientele and a strong congenial vibe. Groups of guests pulled up chairs to converse with the staff at the front desk. Families ate breakfast in the "lobby" area on large wood tables. I didn't see many grabbing food off the breakfast buffet and scrambling back to their rooms. Eating downstairs was an occasion for socializing and planning the day. The food on the buffet was decent - cereal, breads and pastries, yogurt, hard-boiled eggs, etc. Good coffee (and I'm picking about my coffee). All satisfying enough that you didn't feel compelled to go elsewhere.

The staff was all about customer service. Even when they weren't quite their smoothest, they were trying their hardest, and that's what really counts in my book. When I asked for a plastic spoon so my daughter could eat her yogurt in the car, there were several blank looks, a few guesses as to a reasonable location, some fumbling around, but definitely attention and activity and soon enough - a plastic spoon appeared.

Something to consider for some travelers: Getting luggage in and out of the hotel is a bit cumbersome. There are several steps down to get to the luggage trolleys and front desk. The elevator barely fits three people, and that does not include luggage! The original building was a walk-up - with stairs clearly being the preferred method of navigating floors. Having said all that, the staff is very eclectic in their skills. When we checked out, it was the chambermaid who helped me get my two-ton bag out to the car.

My objective in picking a Chicago hotel is to avoid the pretense of the downtown hotels and capture a bit of what it's really like to live in Chicago. To that end, the Majestic is a direct hit.

Room Tip: I'd definitely go for a sun-room. Just loved it!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank An_Huibi
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Overall, our stay at the Majestic was great. The location is wonderful, very close to the water and Wrigley Field. It's an older property with a very impressive entrance. Our room was spacious and comfortable.

I was initially reticent to write this review because -- although we did really enjoy the Majestic -- there was a customer-service issue I feel compelled to mention. Here goes:

First, none of our three key cards worked when we arrived. It was late and we were tired. My husband walked down the three flights to the lobby (the elevator was glacially slow) and asked the manager on duty about it. The manager said he would come up and check. He took the s-l-o-w elevator up to meet us. Anyway, he confirmed that none of the key cards worked, and said he would replace them. He opened the hotel door for us, then I followed him downstairs to collect a replacement set of key cards.

I went back upstairs and tried this second set -- and again, none of them worked. So I went back downstairs again. Again, the manager said he would replace them -- momentarily. (So this would be our third set of keys.) I went back up upstairs and my husband let me in the room (since he was already in there). Then we waited. And waited. Um...we were expecting someone to bring us our new key cards? Finally, about a half-hour later, I went downstairs to see what was happening. I found the manager sitting comfortably at his desk, gossiping with a co-worker. When he saw me he said, "Oh, there you are!" and slid a new new set of key cards across the desk to me. No apology for the inconvenience. So I guess the idea was that it was MY job to run upstairs and downstairs all night?

I found this incident most irritating, and I think it did color my overall view of the Majestic, which is unfortunate.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2014

A most beautiful small hotel. Silent, nice and moderately priced.
Great breakfast, free WiFi, and a very nice sitting room which doubles as a breakfast buffet area.
Loved the cozy chairs and the big solid tables where everyone plans the day.
The staff was really nice and helpful, full of tips, bus routes, shows, restaurants, and things to do for everyone in the family. Will even provide you with change for the exact bus fare!

Room Tip: Lower floor rooms are a bit noisier because most people use the stairs-- the elevator is really tiny...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank PatagonianCoyhaique
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Mona went out of her way to make sure my fiancée and I's stay was comfortable. Friendly staff and within walking distance to Wrigleyville. I would recommend The Majestic if you want to spend a nice quiet weekend in Chicago. Its a short walk to Wrigley Field and an easy bus ride to downtown. The only issue we had was the room was a tad small.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Elizabeth K
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We chose the hotel because of the location, as we were in town (a group of 16) for a weekend of Cubs games. Coordinating the trip from out of town, Courtney was more than helpful in getting us everything we needed and making sure that we were all set upon arrival. What could have been a logistical nightmare was handled so smoothly and professionally that it almost seemed too easy.

The hotel is located in the perfect spot for what we needed (easy walk to Wrigley, the L, WrigleyVille, and other bars). The rooms (Queen Suites) were much larger than the pictures online made them out to be. We had 4 people in each room and slept comfortably between the two queen beds and large foldout in separate section of room. Bathrooms were large enough for two people to get ready at a time.

The entire experience couldn't have been better. Mona was amazing to work with and was a gracious host from the moment we arrived.

I will stay here every time I am in Chicago from now on. I highly recommend giving Courtney and Mona your business when you are looking for a hotel in that area.

Room Tip: Queen Suites - perfect size for parties of 3 or more.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mike B
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Majestic was a great find in such a busy large city. It isn't in the boomingarea oof downtown but is in walking distance to Wrigley field as well as a lively neighborhood on Broadway, and only 1 bus away from downtown. The staff are very helpful and the room is well equipped, great value. Passes to nearby gym is a great addition and Continental breakfast was on point. Nice find.

• Stayed: July 2014