“couldn't have wished for a better location”
Review of Majestic Hotel

Majestic Hotel
Ranked #77 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 24 August 2010

We stayed here for a week and a half and were very pleased with our choice. The hotel is in a nice neighbourhood and close to boystown. The El wasn't too far away and there were plenty of buses available on Lake Shore Drive, no more than a two minute walk away. We had a Sunroom Suite which was situated at the front of the hotel and were very pleased with our room. It was spacious and I think it represented excellent value for money. Having the separate sitting room was great ( and it lived up to its title as for most of the day it was sunny!).All the staff we encountered were very pleasant. The breakfast was complimentary but as we were there for more than a couple of days, we did get bored of it but there were plenty of places to get breakfast within a ten minute walk. It was also great to be staying out of the centre because it gave us the chance to explore a different neighbourhood.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 August 2010

We reserved a room with a king..this must have been a basic room with was nice and clean, but very very crampted. I asked about an upgrade to anohter room that was $20 more. They gladly moved us and I recommend this to anyone..pay the $20 more. The room is almost triple in size. In fact I believe these rooms surround the smaller rooms. The larger room had a nice seating area, 2 TVs, desk, and king size bed as well. The room was so nice we ordered Giordano's pizza (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!) delivered.

Service was extremely helpful!! Even kept our items in a locked room as we attended an afternoon Cubs game. The walk is about 15-20 min from the ballpark, but its though nice neighborhoods.

I couldn't find a negative to report about this hotel except for the size of our original room..ohh and breakfast is pretty bland..cereal..same boring stuff you get these days. I went back to my room and ate leftover pizza :-)

also free interent...oh and parking is a little pricey at $22 per 24 hours

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2010

The Majestic was a DEAL-the location to everything was fantastic and the staff were friendly and very outgoing. The only problem was that the floors groan a bit so bring earplugs if you are a light sleeper. I am planning on coming back.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2010

It's hard to write a review of a place you liked so much when you know that yes, she does have some flaws that the very fussy might have issues with. We just fell in love, warts and all.
The Majestic is on a quiet residential street in Lakeview a half block from Lake Shore Drive. We arrived by train, then bus, so had no questions or issues with parking.
Even tho it's a very small hotel, there was always someone at the front desk and always very helpful with questions. At checkin we were given a map with dining options and we referred to that map several times during our short stay.
The carpeting in the front hall was showing some wear, but it matched the Old World charm of this place so well, I certainly overlooked that. We thought the tiniest elevator in the world was more amusing than annoying. It was actually one of the slowest too, so we often took the stairs.
The room was very clean and looked like the bathroom had been recently remodelled. Nice shampoo and lotion in a stand bolted to the wall. I like that, no waste. There was a wonderful large showerhead, now that's important to me. Bathrobes were a pleasant surprise too.
The window had no view but the fire escape and brick from next door, but we weren't there to look out the window. We were there to go and do and after a long day, this was a great retreat to come back to.
You know what's great when you're just relaxing, a snack. and these were the best mini bar prices I've ever seen anywhere. My husband grabbed a bag of cookies first thing we walked in the room and when I immediately snapped "don't start that", he handed me the menu and said "Why not? they're only a dollar"
We really enjoyed our night at this hotel. We sat on the bench out front at night and noone was around but the occasional dog walker. We made the short walk over to Lincoln Park in the morning and enjoyed even more serenity, just us and the lake. It's a short walk to restaurants, wine shops and Wrigley Field only a few blocks away.
When we caught the express bus just around the corner and went downtown,where we usually stay, it was like going to another world. I don't think I've ever seen so many people(the Taste was going on). It made me realize that this time we made a good choice,yeah we'll be back..

2  Thank kathy/baits
Reviewed 28 June 2010

We just returned from a stay at the Majestic. We had a fantastic time from the moment we stepped foot in the door. All of the staff are very friendly and helpful, especially Richard and Mona. Mona was like a mother hen making sure we had everything we needed, giving us recommendations for restaurants (several within walking distance), encouraging us to take the bus. One night there was a tornado warning and she worried about everyone who went out into the storm and insisted the rest of us stay there in the lobby with her. We had a delightful conversation with her during the storm. Wouldn't want to be anywhere else when a tornado comes through Chicago.

The room was small, but clean and comfortable. The bathroom was very nicely updated. The lobby was nice with comfy couches and tables decorated in an old world elegance. The elevator was small but adequate. The neighborhood is very nicely kept up and we were impressed with how clean it is and how nicely landscaped each apartment bldg. was even if it was only a 5x5 ft piece of property. We walked around several evenings and always felt safe. Breakfast was typical hotel continental style food....cereal, yogurt, bagels, muffins. Coffee and cookies available all day.

The hotel is only a block from the bus stop and with help from Mona and Richard, we bought a pass and took the bus downtown (about a 10-15 minute ride) several times over. Very easy to navigate.

When we return to Chicago, Mona will be the first person we'll call about securing us a room. We know she'll do her best to accommodate us.

Reviewed 10 June 2010

We arrived sunday night after traveling for 5 hours and could not wait to sit and relax. However, when we opened the front door to the hotel, there was a horrific "old, musty" smell." I moved past that but when we arrived on the second floor shoved in a corner of the hotel it was of great disappointment the moment we opened the door. The room was extremely small as well as the bathroom, The only thing that was updated in the room was a flat screen tv. There wasn't a lot of room to move around or put your belongings. The second day we were gone all day sight seeing and when we returned, we found our hotel room slightly open. Yes left open after housekeeping had remade the bed. I was furious at this point. I called the main desk and there was no apology just i will talk with the head housekeeper. I felt that was not enough. You could at least apologize what if something had been taking because of your staff not paying attention!!! I would not recommend this hotel at all, spend the extra money and stay somewhere with class!

1  Thank ashrn29
cityinns, Manager at Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2010

We at the Majestic Hotel apologize for the problems you experienced during your stay. We will address these problems immediately with housekeeping, and will also reiterate the importance of guest satisfaction to our front desk. We strive to always exceed our guest's expectations and I apologize we failed to met yours. Please trust that we will do all that is in our power to correct these problems you experienced during your time stay. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Majestic Hotel, as we take all guest reviews very seriously, and we can assure you that we want nothing more than to prevent these problems from occurring again. The next time you stay in Chicago, please come back to give our lovely hotel another chance to better serve you. Sincerely, Keith Scott, Regional VP.

Reviewed 30 May 2010

My husband and I took my parents to The Majestic to celebrate my mother's75th birthday this weekend. We all had a very pleasant experience! We were upgraded to two of their Sunsuites which include a small sitting room with T.V. We loved the countryhouse charm of the place and the large sittingroom with fireplace where we had breakfast each morning.This is a very peaceful hotel in a quiet neighbor and the beds are heavenly. The staff members were all very helpful and friendly - especially Jennfer who helped us with reservations.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family