“Sewage smell and horrible customer service”

Chicago Lake Shore Hotel
Ranked #155 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Lincoln, Nebraska
“Sewage smell and horrible customer service”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

I would just like to state first hand that we as a couple do not tend to complain when things aren't favorable. We stayed here in October of 2013 because this is where we reserved a room in the wedding block for a wedding we were attending. When we got to our room we did not notice anything out of the ordinary except they were really rather run down rooms, especially compared to the lobby. We've stayed in worse though, so it wasn't a big deal. After we went out for a few drinks with friends, we came back to our room, and was overwhelmed by an awful sewage smell. We called the front desk and they sent someone up to look at it. He told us there was a bad seal on our toilet and then just looked at us expecting us to just say okay? I'm not sure. My boyfriend asked if we could switch rooms because the smell was overwhelming. The maintenance man came back about a half-hour later with keys to a new room. Yippee!

When we got up to the new room, I had to open the windows immediately because it smelled like they sprayed a whole bottle of old air freshner in there. We aired out the room for a few minutes, then as we were getting ready for bed, we noticed the same sewage smell! We don't make a habit of complaining, so we just stuck it out, but every time we left the hotel we made sure to open our windows so we wouldn't come back to an overwhelming sewer stench. Thank goodness the windows did open, but the problem was it would get so cold, and it is right off of lakeshore drive so it was extremely loud. It was honestly a miserable experience.

Just a few other things, our toilet paper roll that was on the fixture ready to use had some sort of bodily fluid smeared across the side of it and our tv channels kept going out. I heard of a bad experience in one of the elevators by another couple that was staying there, so we avoided that elevator. I must say that the man that picked us up on the shuttle from the Palmer House, was very nice and filled us in on some of the local information about Chicago. He was great!

Now on to check out. We stayed there 4 nights, and were told our total was $647 (or something around there) and my boyfriend asked what it was a night and if that was the military discount price. She said no it was $139, military discount is $109, but we can't change it. Oh really? You can't change it? How convenient for you. So we paid $650 for a crappy experience (pun intended), that, had we not wanted to hurt our friends feelings by switching hotels, we would have in a heartbeat. Especially with the hindsight after we checked out, with their blatant refusal to give us the military price we should have received. Are you kidding me? I guess we should have spoke up about the sewage and switched rooms a few more times. It's always nice to see the respect that Chicago as a whole gives to military men and women serving our country, but I was severely disappointed in this hotel. It was definitely the worst experience I've had in Chicago.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SideShowRed
adamse, Director of Sales at Chicago Lake Shore Hotel, responded to this review, 9 February 2014
Thank you for telling us about your experience. We do want our guests to have a positive experience during their stay and I can say that yours was not typical. I was on duty that weekend and I wish you had spoken up more as we could have rectified the situation. John our driver does a great job as you mentioned thank you. Again I'm sorry that this was your experience with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Don't visit the bar or the restaurant - the drinks are watered-down. The bartender looked like she was mad and obviously didn't want to come to work last week. We should have just grabbed a bottle from the liquor store on 53rd Street and went back to the our room.

Room Tip: Research on the internet - the photos and description of the locations are not accurate all the time...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Hi Beatrice, Thank you for your comments. Were sorry you had that kind of experience here as its quite unusual. In fact this is the first time I have ever heard this particular comment. Either way we always follow through and I can tell you that the drinks we are serving are not watered down and in fact in may cases I should get upset has our bartenders sometimes seem to have a heavy hand! We hope you will stop by again and see for yourself the improvements.

Travellers are raving about these Chicago hotels