“Avoid this hotel - there are MUCH better places to stay in Hyde Park!”

Chicago Lake Shore Hotel
Ranked #160 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I have a child at UChicago and I have stayed here twice because of the price and location. But price and location are the ONLY decent things about this place. First stay I could not believe this was a Ramada - very run down and noisy and not very clean. I had always thought Ramada was better than a "no-tell-motel". I recently had to stay again and it has only gotten worse -The blankets had holes, the towels were ragged, etc. We couldn't even find it because it is no longer a Ramada! It had changed hands between my booking and arriving. The desk staff was nice and they honored my reservation -- but I couldn't get out of there fast enough.
I have heard that there is a new hotel in Hyde Park and that is where I will be staying on my next trip to UChicago.

Room Tip: Avoid if possible and stay at the new Hyatt Place for the same price.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
adamse, Director of Sales at Chicago Lake Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2014

Thanks for taking the time to write about your recent visit to our hotel. I wish I could have met you during your stay as I would have appreciated the opportunity to make things right. About 2000 family and vendors associated with the university stay with us each month and I would say most of them have a pretty positive experience. We are an older hotel but I'm pleased to say that we are also under renovation and you won't recognize the new hotel. Your right, their is a new hotel near us and we work together often and we both refer guests to each other. The new Hyatt Place's rates are generally running higher than our rates and parking will run an additional $40.00 per day which is why many people do stay with us. Again I'm sorry about your experience and I do hope you will check us out again.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

We stayed at the property for Thanksgiving week. The staff is friendly and the rooms were kept clean (daily). Yes the decor and carpet were outdated; but, I also noticed that they were in the process of renovating the hotel. Our room had a refrigerator and microwave. The hotel offered a free shuttle which dropped us off by the John Hancock. We took the metra (a 5 minute walk from the front door) most times to enjoy the theater and other activities in downtown Chicago. For the price we paid, it was well worth our stay. The staff was very friendly & cheerful & helpful. We were within walking distance from some very good dining options in Hyde Park. Luxury, no. But an affordable/comfortable stay.

3  Thank tim43929

Thank you so much for your kind comments. Were glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope you will have the time to visit again and see our "new look" when we are done! Thank you.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Clean property in a handy, Hyde Park, Chicago location. Lakeshort was just across the highway. Hotel infrastructure (i.e. elevator) is older but the furnishings and decor is nicely updated and very clean. Desk staff were efficient and pleasant. There is a reasonably priced breakfast available on the property. All was good but the best value and enjoyment for our family was the free shuttle. There are 2 standard routes - one to the U of Chicago and one to standard drop spots at John Hancock/downtown. The driver (John) is an excellent conversationalist, Chicago historian and promoter of the City along with being a very competent, on -time Chicago driver! He made our trip.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Ramada
3  Thank Steve H

Thanks for your wonderful comments. John our driver does go out of his way to make our guests visit a memorable one and I'm glad you got to experience "Chicago." Yes our breakfast buffet is very popular with our guests and so is our Sunday Brunch. Thanks again and we hope to see you back here.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

The staff is very helpful and friendly, they go out of there way to make you feel at home! The hotel itself is in need of updating, the carpet in the halls is frayed and loose! But I would go back just because the staff makes it so inviting!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank brecat72

Thanks for your kind comments about our staff! They do try hard to make our guests feel welcome. Hopefully the results of our renovation will please you even more when you come back. Thank you.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Our group was very happy to stay in the hotel. Spacious rooms with comfortable beds, complimentary shuttle bus to downtown and back with very helpful drivers! Live jazz night in Lake Shore Cafe with great sea food buffet was just amazing!
In general for a very reasonable price you get great service and the location with lake view is very convenient as it is located really close to all important places!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Natalia P

Natalia, Thanks for your kind words. We enjoyed your groups stay with us and glad to know you made it back home safely since you traveled so far. Yes our Seafood Buffet with live jazz is very popular on Friday nights, were glad you enjoyed it. We hope to see you back in 2014.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

We used this property for wedding guests. It was the best location for our needs. Though the hotel stated the rooms were to be renovated, the majority of the rooms were in poor condition and most of the renovations were sub par at best. All of the wedding guests that stayed there stated that despite this, the staff made up for it in excellent customer service. When my hysband and I stayed there for 3 nights after our wedding, we would have to agree. The renovations weren't done very well but everybody we came into contact with were very friendly and went above and beyond. The location of the hotel is phenomenal! Right on Lake Shore Drive with great views of the lake.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Lake Michigan.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Iris,

Thanks for sharing your thought about your experience here. I'm glad our staff did a great job. Unfortunately, when you were here the renovation was far from over and I'm pleased to let you know that as we are now wrapping things up you won't believe the positive changes. We hope to see you back here again. Thank you again.

Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

Our first room had a green wall of mildew. We were able to change it to one mildly mildewed. This place is a health hazard. The front desk is crowded with people complaining. There is no service. It is convenient to lake shore drive but not to Hyde park itself

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank dp_2000NewYork

I apologize your stay did not go well. We did an immediate inspection of the rooms and have yet to find what you are describing. I wish you had asked for a manager as we would of taken care of it immediately. Fortunately for us our guests do not normally have that type of experience but were glad you brought it to our attention. In actually we are located in Hyde Park and were just two blocks from great shopping and some of the finest restaurants in Chicago. We even offer our guests a free shuttle to the local area for their convenience. Were sorry you didn't get to experience that during your stay.