“Best customer service ever!”

Chicago Lake Shore Hotel
Ranked #160 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I have to say, after reading some of the reviews I was nervous. I was pleasantly surprised! Neighborhood was lovely, staff was more than nice, room was clean and comfortable. Gabby and Shannon at the front desk treated us like family. The shuttle drivers John, and Annie were overly accommodating. Having free shuttle to and from McCormick place was a huge surprise bonus! I must say, I have never felt so welcome at a hotel before. Customer service is obviously very important to these people and it shines through their demeanor. I hope they realize how much we appreciated their kindness. I would definitely recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Our room was on the second floor and we had no issues with it. If you want frills, stay somewhere e...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Lori C
adamse, Director of Sales at Chicago Lake Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Thank you so much for your kind words! We do try and go that extra mile whenever we can. We were glad you stayed with us and we hope you come again soon.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

really, the only reason to stay here is location. but even if you are visiting the University of Chicago, you are much better off driving and staying somewhere else. I stayed in a room which had been "renovated". yes, the tv is now digital, and the arm chair and bedspread were new, but the end tables and dresser are still old, faded wood with brass handles, like something from a garage sale. this place just feels like a 1970s motel. I tried to cancel my reservation at 4;15, 15 minutes past the deadline, and the woman who answered the phone was extraordinarily rude and wouldn't let me do it. you will get a better deal bidding on a well-reviewed hotel at a bidding website instead. i would not stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Illinois_traveler22
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Our trip was nearly all positive. Yes, the outside of the building could use some sprucing up, but our room had clearly been remodeled recently and was as clean as could be. Front desk staff, with one exception (a young man who just didn't care) was terrific and always ready to go the extra mile. As many other reviewers have mentioned, John, the shuttle driver, is fabulous. The cafe at the hotel serves perfectly decent food, and we really enjoyed the neighborhood atmosphere and the jazz band at the Friday night seafood buffet. The location is very convenient for U. Chicago functions, and the hotel offers a discount for University guests. We will stay there again for our next U. Chicago function. If you are they type of traveler who must have the snooty 5 star posh hotel, you may not like the Lake Shore. But if you're a real life person who doesn't have a trust fund and who appreciates pleasant, friendly, hard-working people, this is a great hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
9  Thank Eileen W
Reviewed 26 April 2014

This place is simply not fit for anyone to stay in. It's kind of remarkable how run down it is. I booked this hotel for a visitor thinking it would be cheap but at least decent, and we had to find a replacement halfway through his stay. It looks like an abandoned building from the outside.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 April 2014

the hotel is in fact in hyde park but its ghetto. loud music, weed smoking & the staff is very nonchalant. My earrings came up missing after I forgot them. when I returned to my room for the night. I never expected to recover them but the hotel management never even offered an apology, not even a call back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Eulamac
adamse, Director of Sales at Chicago Lake Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Were sorry to hear that you still have not recovered your earrings. In being here at the property for over 10 years I have never heard our property and neighborhood described as "Ghetto." I'm sure the President of the United States one of our neighbors will be pleased to know that you think his neighborhood is "Ghetto." Your persistent calls to the property at all ours of the day and night have been answered. The police were notified of your alleged incident and nothing further came of it. Were sorry this happened to you and hope you find your earrings.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

We stayed at the Chicago Lake Shore Hotel for a business trip to a show at McCormick Place in Chicago. The hotel staff was really friendly and we would like to give special thanks to John (our driver) Gabby and Shannon. They were always in a good mood and did also help us out in special occasions.

We would love to come back for next year's show.

Best regards,

S and M

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank tifugal
Reviewed 19 March 2014

And price may be reasonable. But this is a motel. Carpet in my room didn't look clean. No breakfast service. TV in the room was analog and had not many selections. There are no eateries around within walking distance. Actually I didn't feel safe walking around. It should be OK if you have a car. But we didn't. Shuttle service to the UC Hospital ends early in the evening. We ended up using cabs for every commute to the hospital.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
adamse, Director of Sales at Chicago Lake Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Thanks for your review. I know you arrived during the evening hours when it was dark. Not a lot can be seen but, just around the corner there are numerous restaurants and shopping available within walking distance. In fact about 25 restaurants are within 5 blocks of our hotel. During the day we do have a free shuttle over to the university from 8:30 until 6:00pm. Then there are several buses that go every 10 minutes or so and or taxi's that are always here. Luckily the University is only 5 minutes away. We are a full service hotel with a restaurant so no we do not provide free breakfast but we offset that with free parking that saves you about $40-50 dollars a day.

Thanks again