“Nice Experience” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #153 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Mason City, Iowa
“Nice Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

My son and I stayed at the Chicago Lake Shore Hotel for our recent trip to Chicago. My brother and sister in law had booked the room for us as they were also traveling there. I was a little leery at first seeing as how our rooms were located outside the main building in another building outside. This set-up housed four rooms on the top level and a couple on the bottom I believe. I have to say, it was one of the best stays I have had in a hotel. It was quiet! I loved that! The beds were very comfortable. The room was clean. The staff at the desk were friendly. The shuttle driver was AWESOME! It was nice to be so close to Lake Michigan and the Hyde Park area, all was easily accessible by walking. I also have to say this, for the two days I was there I somehow neglected to lock my car. (All who know me know I am a paranoid buffoon about my car being locked!) We spent two days and two nights there without me thinking about the car, as we either walked or took the shuttle. When it was time to leave, everything in my car was still there. Obviously the parking area was very safe! I was quite impressed, as in my own small-ish town in Iowa, I probably would have had my things taken. Anyway, kudos to the staff! My only complaint was my eggs benedict in the hotel restaurant. I would avoid that entree at all costs! Haha!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Lori C
214gene, Manager at Chicago Lake Shore Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you for your thoughtful review. Hyde Park is the best neighborhood for walking. We will share your words with the shuttle driver. We hope you will come back to Chicago and stay with us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Saint Louis Park, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

I think we got one of the renovated rooms, and it was very nice! The only thing I could ask for is some towel bars and hooks in the bathroom. We had a large refrigerator and a microwave! Also, the outdoor swimming pool was huge--I'm pretty sure it is just short of 25 yards from end to end--it was very clear if a little cold, but that's far better than those pools that are as warm as whirlpools! The people at the desk had great suggestions for restaurants and how to get to the University of Chicago within about 5-10 minutes--this nice staffer who likes the lakes near Canada even took the time to draw me a very helpful map. The reason I'm really writing, however, is that I am extremely grateful to Jude and Tamar at the front desk for not charging us for all of the rooms that somehow got put on our account by AAA--they thought we must have been having a wedding, but there was only our 1 small family! That could have been a huge mess because it always seems that in Chicago, you have to cancel your reservations by the day before--I had no idea that there was more than one reservation under my name. We'll be staying there if we wind up visiting the U of Chicago again! Thank you, Chicago Lake Shore staff!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank P H
214gene, Manager at Chicago Lake Shore Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thank you for your very kind remarks regarding your recent stay with us. Your comment about the "cool" pool was spot on. We don't say "cooler by the lake" for nothing. We are glad to hear that Jude and Tamar were so helpful to you. We hope you'll stay with us again.
Subic, Philippines
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

My plane was late, Budget Rental car took an hour to pick me up, then when I got to the hotel, I was told that I could not check in, because it was after 3am. I laid down on the couch in the lobby. I don't mind that the hotel was run down, but why do they turn business down after 3am? I had business the next morning at 8am. It was just weird. I did like the area and ran on the Lake.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Sean_W424959
Thank you for your comments. We're sorry you had to sleep on a couch. We will address your issue. We hope you will let us serve you in the future.

Travellers are raving about these Chicago hotels

Detroit, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

GREAT amazing location, decent BED to sleep on and thee friendliest shuttle driver EVER!! And that is where the positives end.

As soon as we pull up to the hotel you can still see the old "Ramada" sign imprinted in dirt on the Front of the building. When we were checking in the receptionist was not friendly, did not smile once, and spoke in a tone that clearly showed her disdain for her job. This was thee worst first impression I have ever had, and I have even stayed at a motel before.

I understand they are renovating the place, but truthfully it was a scary hallway leading up to our rooms. EVERYTHING was dingy and blackened of old dirt. I hope they "renovate" quickly.

The worst thing about the place, however, was the staff. We fought to get towels and couldn't even get a days worth of towels without having to trade the old ones in. I even saw another lady ask the front receptionists for an extra towel and the receptionists denied her. I developed a blister from walking and asked for 2 bandaids, the receptionist had to dig in the drawer not even sure if they had any and only came up with ONE. I asked the environmental services and she did not have one either. Shouldn't the front desk be prepared with a first aid kit and BANDAIDS at the very least? Every time we asked a question, they looked at us like we were burdening them with problems....we just wanted to know about the shuttle and how to get to the lake!! I can probably go on and on about the horrible service we received, but overall I would recommend NEVER stay here!!!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Kristine M
adamse, Director of Sales at Chicago Lake Shore Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you for your comments. Our old sign was removed and what you see is the difference in color in the stucko around the old letters but not dirt as you say. I am happy to say that we are excited about the renovation and they have just begun working on the outside which will give us a new look and remove that faded image of the old name. The hallway you mentioned and went to look at was just a lighting issue and not dirt as you suggested but thanks for bring it to our attention. I am sorry you had an issue with towels and we have discussed it with the front desk staff and hopefully we have addressed the issue. The band aid issue is something that we cannot help with as it would be construed as giving medical advice or medical service and from a liability issue no hotel would be willing to offer such in today's litigious society. Our front desk clerks attitude is normally quite good as many of the comments have expressed so I'm sorry you experienced something different. I hope you have the opportunity to come by again soon and see the difference with our renovation. Thanks again
Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

Shannon, front-desk staff member, is truly outstanding. The hotel itself clearly has seen much better and earlier days, however, and the lobby area should be among the first to get a really good makeover. The affiliated restaurant was excellent, while pricey (you are lakefront in Chicago, after all). The price was reasonable, even considering the additional premium to guarantee a lakefront view, and one of the very few properties we considered that didnt charge atrocious rates (free!) for parking. We strongly suggest that future guests ensure when both reserving AND checking in that (1) they are in a room that has been (nicely!) renovated and (2) that the room they are in is not anywhere in the vicinity of any OTHER rooms currently being loudly and thoroughly renovated, even up into the night hours. Also, the lake view rooms are right on Lake Shore Drive -- a busy and noisy thoroughfare at all hours -- but the view is definitely there. Another caveat -- be sure to check all of the windows -- none of ours were locked upon arrival although they were only on the second floor and just above the front marquee! In brief -- caveat emptor -- check and double-check specifics and do try to take advantage of these pieces of advice, and you should have a pleasant, relatively inexpensive stay in Chi-town. It is located in a good area for lots of interesting things to do, and only six relatively easy miles from Grant/Millenium Parks, Symphony Hall, the Art Center and Loop area, etc. (We ended up driving instead of using the shuttle, since our schedule was dependent upon others.)

Room Tip: Just be sure not to be in any way near any part of the property undergoing renovation -- it is very...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your response. We are trying to address alot with our renovation and our new windows we are installing should help with the sound issue mentioned. Your right about our location in that we are close to everything and our free parking can save our guests as much as $50.00 a day. Our free shuttle to downtown and local public transportation is very convenient

Thanks again and I hope you stop by to see the results..
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

I stayed at the Chicago Lake Shore Hotel in June 2014, during a conference held at the Univ of Chicago. Although the hotel may not look appealing to those who expect a fancy and luxurious experience for a holiday, I tremendously enjoyed my stay here, for its excellent location, helpful and friendly front desk staff, and the fair price.

In particular, I would like to give my special thanks to the shuttle bus driver Mr. John Brown, who is responsible, friendly and warm-hearted. I took the shuttle bus for the entire week during my conference, and I was the only passenger on each ride (most guests drive their own cars). To my (pleasant!) surprise, every morning John arrived several minutes before 8:30am and kindly waited for me in the lobby, and every evening he picked me up at the university, punctually as well. Moreover, we had many good conversations during the bus ride, and he gave me very detailed and helpful information about the neighbourhood of Hyde Park and the city. Once I asked him about the dining places near the hotel, and he even arranged a special tour passing through two Thai restaurants! Well, in brief, John is a superb driver and a very kind person, and I believe that every guest using the shuttle bus service will have a great experience meeting him.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Monge_Ampere
Thank you so much for your kind words. Yes we and everyone that comes here seem to love John! He's a great driver and a great tour guide! We do have many assorted restaurants and shops nearby for our guests convenience. Our staff as a whole does try to do their best to make your stay an enjoyable one. Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon.