“Close to Northwestern”

Hyatt Centric Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #42 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

Chose this hotel for two reasons: recently remodeled and proximity to Northwestern Medical Center.
Room was spacious, clean, and beds were comfortable.
Cons:
Only allotted 2 wash cloths, 2 hand towels etc... Per person.
Starbucks off lobby does NOT allow room charges. Found that out at 0600. Really just minor things in the grand scheme.
Would stay here again.

Stayed: February 2014
MJ B, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Centric Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

We are very proud of our partnership with Northwestern Hospital as well as Northwestern University, Lurie Children's Hospital and the Rehabilitative Hospital of Chicago and we offer special rates for guests going to/from each hospital. We have nearly 50 handicap accessible rooms. Each and every room features the Hyatt Grand Bed which promises a good night's sleep.
Please spread the word to your friends and family that we would love to have them stay with us and we hope that you will come back again soon!

Guest Relations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,264)

Reviewed 24 February 2014

We stayed in adjoining rooms for my Son's 14th Birthday. Beautiful, spacious rooms. Excellent service and the Chef made cupcakes as a special treat for the Birthday Boy! We had a wonderful time!!! Small but clean pool, great gym and the staff were all exemplary. The location is perfect for Mag mile shopping, and the price was great.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels
MJ B, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Centric Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

We are so happy that you and your son had a fabulous stay at the Hyatt Chicago Magnificent while here for your son's 14th birthday. We love it when our guests stay with us for special occasions such as birthdays, anniversaries, weddings, etc. Our staff works hard to make all of our guests feel extraordinary, but when we know that our guests are here for a unique reason, we do what we can to make their stay a wonderful one that they will remember and have some great memories. We hope you come back for his 15th birthday and that you come on your big day also!

Reviewed 24 February 2014

I was in Suite 1712 (top floor, facing Northwestern/Erie). The two rooms were fairly large, separated by doors, which is probably an important aspect for a family as it had a pull-out sofa in the living room. Bathroom was very well done, with a separate tub and shower. Room was great, no issues.

Some things to be aware of... Northwestern's ER entrance is located across the street from the valet. Although not terrible, I was woken up a few times each night from ambulance's, but they would immediately turn the sirens off once they got closer. This can also be helped by requesting a room on the opposite side or facing Saint Claire.

No room is high enough to get a full view of Michigan Ave (or be above any of the buildings surrounding it). Definitely something I missed from the HR. I've never had a bad view at the Regency, and although not on Michigan, Wacker is a great place to be and maybe a 5-10 minute walk from HMM's doorstep. This led to the room being dark, as it was a long way from the bathroom/living room to the window.

Breakfast is probably the highlight. I'm never amazed by HR's club, although they are working on it, so the made-to-order omelets were welcomed, as well as the service. As many of the others, Starbucks is located in the hotel.

Overall, it was very modern and pretty to look at, but I prefer my views/windows, to the updates.

Room Tip: Request a corner suite or rooms that are not facing Erie to avoid ambulance sirens from NW Hospital.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
MJ B, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Centric Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Your comments about the Hyatt Chicago Magnificent Mile are appreciated by our management team who continually strive to make our hotel the best it can possible be. Our Breakfast Buffet in our new Level Two Restaurant and Lounge is quickly becoming a guest favorite. We have traditional breakfast favorites, seasonal fruits, pastries, coffee, juice and much, much more. If you prefer, you can just order breakfast off the menu or perhaps just grab a cup of coffee. We like think we have something for everyone. In-room dining is also an option and we have a Starbucks on the first floor. Come see us again!

Reviewed 23 February 2014

I have never written a review anywhere – ever – but our experience with Hyatt Chicago Magnificent Mile was so shockingly terrible, I’m compelled to share it.

My husband and I had a brief one-night stay at the hotel in January for a rate of $89. Last week, we received a credit card bill for a 10-day stay totaling nearly $2,500. I called the hotel, assuming they would reverse the charges. Instead, they told me:

- Ten minutes after we checked out, someone checked back into our room under my husband’s name.
- The person “must have” had my husband’s ID because they ALWAYS check for them.
- While at the hotel for 10 days, this person signed my husband’s name to charges for food, laundry, etc.
- Hyatt said that I must take this up with my credit card company because they will not credit me.

It seems entirely unlikely – actually impossible – that someone with a photo ID with my husband’s name and picture stalked us at the Hyatt and stealthily checked back into the hotel minutes after we left. When asked if this person had our physical credit card to swipe again, or if they just essentially gave away our stored credit card information to someone who clearly did not have an ID, there was no response.

Granted, our credit card company will likely credit us. So here’s why any of this matters:

Safety – I have zero confidence that my credit card information was safeguarded at Hyatt Magnificent Mile.

Accountability – The credit card company shouldn’t have to investigate. Hyatt should. How did someone have our name to sign on room charges? No one ever told me that Hyatt would even look into this.

A little apology goes a long way - Hyatt not only failed to apologize (or even give an “I’m sorry that happened"), but also created a cloud of fear around whether our identity had been stolen. (It wasn’t.)

I’m certain that someone from the hotel will respond to this posting with some corporate policy reason for their treatment of us, but anyone considering staying at the Hyatt Chicago Magnificent Mile should think twice before doing so.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Gambatte
MJ B, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Centric Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Our Accounting Department is checking into this situation and I am told has been in touch with you. We pride ourselves in striving to provide unique and personal service in a way that far exceeds what travelers expect. We appreciate your feedback as we take these alleged incidents seriously. I have shared your review with our management team.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Stayed for 2 nights with my wife and 2 kids. The hotel is completely updated, modern and looks even better than the photos? It was very quiet (even though it was next door to the hospital) and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The concierge (Katelin?) was the best. She took the time to review the places we planned to visit and walked us through the bus routes and made other suggestions to avoid crowds and unnecessary expenses. The pool is small but that's to be expected in the area however the hot tub was large enough for about 8 to 10. The restaurant was a little pricey but we only ate there for breakfast and my kids ate free! It wasn't advertised but both mornings the wait staff said they wouldn't charge for the kids. I was able to get a great room rate directly from the Hyatt website by paying upfront for the room with no option to cancel. I highly recommend for the location, cleanliness, and fantastic staff.

Stayed: February 2014

The Hyatt Chicago Magnificent is brand new and we are glad that you and your family were able to experience all that we have to offer. We recently underwent a $25 million dollar renovation and completely re-invented our hotel. But having a fabulous staff is truly what we are all about. The concierge staff is marvelous with our guests whether they are here for business or leisure. Their knowledge of the city and what Chicago is all about is what makes our guests return again and again. I hope you will be back in the summer to see our beautiful city at its finest!

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Perfect location for shopping. Located 1 block from Michigan Ave. The pool was on the smaller side but was warm and clean and we enjoyed the hot tub and fitness room as well. The parking was expensive, $61 per night. The hotel had a breakfast buffet but the cost was high end, $22 per person. We decided to eat at the corner bakery located across the street and there is also a Starbucks inside the hotel. The room was comfortable and clean. The only draw back to the location was the loud ambulance sirens. Overall it was a positive experience, my family enjoyed our weekend getaway and would return.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels

A perfect location says it all! We are very lucky to be situated in such a great place in downtown Chicago. Our guests love the fact that we are just steps from Michigan Avenue and the Magnificent Mile with all of its fabulous shops. Water Tower Place is within walking distance of the hotel and Navy Pier is also close by. Our restaurant, Level Two, offers not only a breakfast buffet, but you can just order off the menu if you chose instead of the buffet or just stop in for coffee and grab something to go! We like to think we have something for everyone at our restaurant. We also have in-room dining and as you found out, many restaurants are nearby. So glad your family had a wonderful time and we hope you come back soon.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

I was looking for a Hotel close to Northwestern Hospital and within walking distance. The Hyatt is right across the street and very convenient. Rooms were up to date and very clean. Also very close to many restaurants.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels
MJ B, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Centric Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

We thank you so much for your wonderful review of the Hyatt Chicago Magnificent Mile on TripAdvisor. Northwestern Hospital is within walking distance of the hotel and makes it very convenient for our guests who are coming and going to the hospital and with the cold weather we have been having, this has been a big plus. It is literally just across the street and we have special rates for Northwestern guests, based on availability. The list of nearby restaurants goes on and on, but I hope you had a chance to stop at our Level Two Restaurant which is right here in the hotel. Hope you come back to visit us again soon.