“You Can't Beat the Value”

Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile
Ranked #107 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 23 November 2011

We stayed here with our two teenagers for 4 nights and found everything to be a very good value. First, the location is superb. Sandwiched between the Ritz, Four Seasons, Knickerbocker Hotels and one block from Michigan Avenue/Magnificent Mile shopping--just a great neighborhood. Second, the "included" breakfast was plentiful (eggs, pancakes, cereals, yogurt, fruit, waffles) and staff was extremely nice. Finally, the room was spacious (king suite), clean and quiet. The only drawback was the size of the pullout...not really big enough for two, so we had to get a roll away, which was fine. If you check the prices at neighboring hotels, you will find this hotel to be a real bargain. Is it the Ritz? No. But, it is not $500 per night either, and the rooms are big enough that you don't get on each others' nerves (and two tvs is always a bonus with teens). We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 22 November 2011

My wife and I just returned from a long weekend in Chicago and were blown away by the front desk staff. From checking in to buying architectural boat tour and museum tickets to giving directions to going two streets down the block to help us get a cab when none was available, they were amazing and always super friendly. The suite was spacious, the mattress was very comfortable, and the place was well cleaned. Our only complaints were that the suite furniture in the living room was a little ragged and the bed pillows could have been better.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 November 2011

My husband and I just celebrated our anniversary in Chicago, and I found this hotel to be really well located for sightseeing and shopping. The studio suite was a reasonable size, kitchen with everything you might need, but we didn't use it much. The bed was very comfortable, and the windows open a bit for some fresh air at night which I really appreciate. We had a handicapped-accessible room (because it was what was available at check-in) and the bathroom was huge as a result. Don't know what the normal bath is like, so I can't comment on that, but everything was spotlessly clean and the room was made up very well every day. Don't know where the previous reviewer ate, but we found the breakfast plentiful and tasty. Hot items varied each day, and there is a waffle maker, oatmeal, cold cereal, baked goods...and though there were lots of people each time we went down there seemed always to be enough seating. Free internet in the room...I would not recommend waiting for the two stations I noticed in the breakfast area (kids were playing games on them most of the time). We drove into town and the hotel parking was very convenient if you want your car for trips around town. Staff was very polite and helpful. I can't think of anything that was off at this place! Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: higher floor are quieter, though the street is not terribly busy.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2011

The concept is great but this hotel had awful beds, postage stamp size pillows, I asked for a duvet and was handed a ratty old blanket, the breakfast was minimal at best, not enough newspapers for guests staying at the hotel and finally.. a call to a taxi company outside 312 area code for 2 mins was a whopping $5.00. I'd take a pass on this hotel as usually a five star can be had for same amount 300. per night elsewhere

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank circuitdogg305
Reviewed 13 November 2011

I stay in Residence Inns for business travel quite a bit. I was in this one for three nights. I was on 18th floor and had a nice lake view. Although the building is older, the property has been decently updated. The kitchen had updated appliances and fixtures. The bathroom was also updated, with a glass walled stand up shower stall rather than a tub with a curtain (a plus in my book). The sink vanity space in my studio room was small, little room to put out makeup and toiletries. Room cleanliness wasn't terrible, but it wasn't top notch either. There was a hair on the shower floor when I checked in. I also had to wipe off the bed nightstand as soon as I checked in because it wasn't clean, outlined remnants of food or drink sitting there remained. There was a small mystery stain on the couch I also had to spot clean with a damp washcloth because it skeeved me out. It was 50-some degrees outside during daytime when I was at the hotel, and radiant baseboard heat seemed to be on in my room. Per a sign by the room thermostat, it said to cool the room by opening the windows. I had windows open during my whole stay. No screens on them, but not a problem with bugs during November. It just got a bit noisy sometimes for sleeping when sirens would go off. I was glad I was not closer to street level. Service was efficient at the front desk. Valet attendants were friendly. The gym was clean but small with only two treadmills and two ellipticals, one older and without a TV on it. The whole hotel lost power one night at about 11:30 pm, but to their credit it was repaired and back on within about five minutes.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 November 2011

we stay at residence inns whenever we can, having a kitchen and seperate sleeping and living quarters is so nice. Chicago is so expensive and most of the rooms are tiny, but the residence was very roomy! we ordered from the room service that connected you directly with the best Italian delivery! both nights we ordered in, within 30 minutes we had hot soup, salad and entrees for under $25, little pompei was fabulous and the alfredo was delicious. The location to the Water Tower shopping was the best, a great walk to whatever you wanted. The street is surprisingly quiet even though currently there is construction, we were never bothered. my only negative was for us the beds were too hard and the pillows too squishy! front desk kind and helpful, parking a little higher than some at $45 a day but there was free wifi, so it all worked out. definitely will return to this hotel

Room Tip: we were on 14 which made it quiet from any construction, good choice
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank jgieske347
Reviewed 31 October 2011

When I come to Chicago, I always stay at the Blackstone. I love that hotel, so I have never thought to look elsewhere. I also love Chicago, and never pass up a chance to visit. When my wife had a conference at the Four Seasons, I decided to come with her, and being a loyal Marriott patron I booked this hotel, which was just a few block away (the conference hotel was too pricey).

For those who aren't familiar, Residence Inn is an apartment/extended stay brand of the Marriott chain. Our one bedroom suite contained a small kitchen, a living room and a separate bedroom. In fact, it was larger than many apartments I rented when I was younger.

When I came into the lobby and got in the elevator, I could see that the brass around the doors had seen a lot of wear. I was expecting to see some signs of age in the rooms, but they must have been renovated recently because they were in fine shape. We stayed four nights and had a very pleasant time.

The hotel is located right in the heart of the "magnificent mile". We bought a three day CTA pass and had no problems getting around either by bus or on the L. It was close to shopping, the lake and museums.

They're aren't many downsides. One is that the elevators are older and a bit slow, so expect a wait, especially during busy times. The breakfast buffet was just okay, your standard eggs, sausage, muffins, etc. I would have preferred more fruit. The Internet service (free of charge) was worth every penny (grin) but worked acceptably most of the time.

If you are looking for a nice lake view, this hotel isn't for you, as it is several blocks from the water and there is a large building between it and the lake.

I still prefer the Blackstone, but if location is ever an issue (as it was this trip) I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: If you want a view of the lake, asked for a room on floor 17 or higher. You can get a glimpse of it...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business