“Very Satisfied”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown
Ranked #48 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 5 September 2012

I stayed here for two nights with my husband and two teens in a king suite in July on our whistle stop visit to Chicago. We loved Chicago and all thought this was an excellent hotel and would not hesitate to recommend it.
Hubby and son slept on the sofabed and the girls had the king bed and everyone was very satisfied with the comfort of both of them. It was great to have the kitchen but we only made use of the fridge for drinks and the hob for a cuppa.
The location is excellent within close proximity of mag mile. We'd purchased transport passes for the duration of our stay (the subway is literally across the street) but mainly walked everywhere to get the feel of the city.
There were loads of eating options close by and I must mention Froyo which we happened upon nearby with it's numerous flavors and topping, us Brits were in heaven as our few
frozen yogurt outlets run to four flavors usually at the most.
Breakfast in the hotel was excellent if not a little busy with the staff working extremely hard to clear and clean tables. The managers reception was running on one of our nights and is a great money saver if you are on a budget.
Our kids loved the pool and went for a swim on both nights, they also loved the hot chocolate from the drink station near reception.
As others have said the lifts are slow because there are only two but for the bang you get for your buck at this hotel this was a very minor drawback.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
HomewoodHiltonChiIL, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2012

Me881,

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts on our hotel. I was pleased to see that you and your family were very satisfied with your experience at Homewood Suites. I was also glad to see that the location of the hotel was convenient for you and your family while you were visiting all the sights and destinations the city has to offer. I appreciate the fact that you would recommend our hotel to other potential guests. We hope that when your travels bring you back to downtown Chicago, we will remain a top choice for you.

Reviewed 5 September 2012

I really like the location of this hotel with its proximity to Michigan Ave., West Hubbard St. and loads of restaurants, bars, pubs, shopping and everything else you'd want.

The hotel itself has great suites. The rooms are's elegant, but they are comfortable. A great size with a bedroom and a living area / kitchen combination. The living area is a good size with a sleeper sofa, an arm chair and a dining table.

For business travel, they have all the connections for the LCD TV right out front making it easy to connect your laptop to the TV, plug in, etc. I really like the fact that there are numerous power outlets very conveniently located. I tend to have lots to plug in.

The staff are all friendly and attentive. As soon as I pulled up they had my bags out of the car, the elevator door open and I was on my way to the 6th floor for check-in.

This is a reasonably priced hotel where you'll have lots of space, decent food in the morning and evening, free internet access and a location that makes everything easy to get to. It's also a few minute walk to the RED line.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

Spetron,

Thank you for recently staying with us and for posting a review of Homewood Suites downtown Chicago. I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your experience at our hotel and that the suite you were in was large and comfortable. I was also glad to see that the location of the hotel was convenient for you while in downtown Chicago for business. I appreciate you taking the time to mention the friendly and attentive staff; I will pass along your compliments to the entire team. We hope you give us the opportunity to create a great experience for you again soon whether in town on business or for pleasure.

Reviewed 4 September 2012

My son and I were recently in Chicago for a four day stay and decided to try Homewood Suites this time, and boy I'm glad we did:) As a lot of other reviewers mentioned, everyone from the doormen to the front desk help was fabulous! Kind, cheerful, helpful and all around great! (except for an evening desk clerk-he must have been having a not-so-good evening:) )
The rooms were perfect, with a separate bedroom, sitting area and nice full kitchen. Even though it was just the two of us, it was the perfect fit! We thought the bed (and bedding) was great-comfy, clean and not all wore out. The breakfast and dinner, contrary to what others had said in their reviews, was tasty, hot and had a nice variety. And the best part of it all was that the meals are included!! So those that complained about not enough variety, too many people, etc. seem to forget....IT IS FREE and a service provided by the hotel-many places,more expensive places, don't even provide that! If you don't like it, don't eat it. We on the other hand will always stay here when we visit Chicago! It's perfect!

Krisrn_12,

Thank you for your feedback after your recent stay at our hotel. I was pleased to see that you and your son had an awesome experience while staying with us at Homewood Suites downtown Chicago. I appreciate you taking the time to mention the fabulous, kind, cheerful, helpful, and all around great staff; I will be certain to pass along your compliments to the rest of the team. We look forward to accommodating you again the next time your travels bring you to Chicago

Reviewed 4 September 2012

I've been disappointed to the point of writing a bad review for only one Hilton property. As a HH club member I feel I made the right choice of resort/hotel chains.

The Homewood Suites in downtown Chicago is just a block from the Magnificent Mile of Michigan Av. so if you're going to spend time shopping there, this property makes everything easily accessible and within walking distance. There are plenty of restaurants nearby too - lots of choices.

The HS was warm, inviting and just what you'd expect from any Hilton HS. All the amenities are average quality but the lobby and my room was well maintained, clean and comfortable. The view wasn't much - looking out over the rooftop of an adjacent building, but in downtown Chicago that is not surprising.

I've written numerous reviews of Hilton properties including those that serve complimentary breakfast like the HS does. Please refer to any of them for a review of the breakfast because they are pretty standard and unless something is extra special or woefully wrong, any of my other reviews applies. The two ladies keeping the food area stocked were very pleasant and professional.

I've never been disappointed with the accommodation in a HS and this experience maintains that attitude.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo

Bwt1951,

Thank you for your review of Homewood Suites downtown Chicago. I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your experience while at our hotel and that you felt it was warm and inviting. I was also glad to see that the location of the hotel was convenient for you as you conducted your activities in downtown Chicago. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to hosting you at the hotel the next time you are in town.

Reviewed 31 August 2012

I travel to Chicago about 4x a year and stay here every time. Very easy checkin/out and you can always grab a cab. I like that you have a full kitchen although I really don't use it. I like being able to reheat food if I need to. Eating in Chicago is not cheap! Beds are super comfortable and I haven't had an issue with service.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for non-smoking. Their smoking rooms are very stinky.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Mary Teresa D
HomewoodHiltonChiIL, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2012

Treegoat,

Thank you for your review of Homewood Suites downtown Chicago. I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your experience at our hotel. I appreciate you being such a frequent guest of ours while traveling on business. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to hosting you at the hotel the next time you are in town for business or pleasure.

Reviewed 30 August 2012

I have stayed at this property before and always raved about it. This stay was different. Not bad but nothing that stood out either. We arrived at 11pm and stood at the front desk for almost 10 minutes before anyone came to wait on us. Not a sole at the front desk for that time period. No welcome or thank you at all. And at check out no thank you or how was your stay. While I would stay here again I do wish the service level had been up to speed as in the past.

Houstonguy2010,

I want to thank you for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us. I appreciate you and your family choosing to stay at Homewood Suites downtown Chicago frequently. I would like to apologize for the average stay on your most recent visit. We will discuss as a team what we can do to consistently deliver an exceptional experience to all of our guests. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in Chicago.

Reviewed 28 August 2012

The hotel reception is on the 6th floor and from the moment we arrived you are constantly waiting with crowds for lifts. The property has only 2 lifts and the wait time is like 5 mins and when your on the 12th floor not easy to walk!

The room and overall accommodation is tired and in need of urgent renovation. The two double beds in the room were tiny and having been over used, both beds had the rolling in to the middle thing going on all night!! They provided no pillow menu and we had to buy our own toilet paper as the quality provided was no better than the type used in schools in the U.K.

The concierge team were polite, but very unhelpful when we wanted to book a return taxi for a visit to a coldplay concert when we stayed in Chicago.

The free breakfast and dinner times and menus were both tasteless and chaotic with lines going back for a 15 minute wait on the twice we tried to eat in the place.

Overall the town of Chicago was fantastic and we had a great time in the city and went to some fantastic attractions and restaurants, but we will never be returning to the Home wood suites until the rooms and menus are drastically improved!!

Room Tip: Book somewhere else
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
HomewoodHiltonChiIL, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2012

Bscs121,

I want to thank you for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us. I apologize for any inconvenience the elevators led to. We are constantly working on the menu to cater it to our guests, we will look back on it and see what we can imrove upon. We hope you will consider us again the next time your travels bring you to Chicago.