The Homewood Suites Chicago was a new find for us on our annual siblings reunion weekend. The hotel was running a weekend rate special in May, and it looked nice in photos, so we took a chance. The hotel is in the River North section, and parking is expensive - $34-42 a day, depending on whether you choose garage or valet service. But, the location is worth it, it's a block from the Loop train (underground at State and Grand). And, you can walk everywhere in Chicago from this hotel, which is nice on a wonderful summer weekend.
The suite is arranged with a kitcen, dining table for 2, a sleeper sofa and chair is one room, and a king size bed and the bath in the other room. The bathroom sink is separate from the toilet and shower, which is convenient. The kitchen has a dishwasher, serveware, coffee maker and toaster, plus a microwave and a 2 burner stove. And it has granite countertops, a nice touch.
This hotel is thrilling all of the little ones, and fitness freaks. The 19th floor has a very nice pool,, 4 feet deep and long enough to do some laps. I have never seen so many well-behaved children under constant parental supervision in a hotel before, which I loved (thanks to parents who understand it's important to watch your kids at all times). There are lots of towels and tables and chairs for parents to relax, looking out over the city to the west. The fitness center has nice free weights, heavy balls and treadmills. If you prefer, there is a complimentaty pass to the health club Crunch next door.
The full breakfast is a full breakfast - sausage and biscuits, corned beef, bacon, scrambled eggs, pastries, french toast, cereals, yogurt and cottage cheese, fresh fruit, toasted breads, coffee, tea, juices. They serve the breakfast in a dining hall that is crowded at peak times, so you can pack a box from the breakfast buffet and take it back to your room. No dinky cups, either...everything is full sized, and they keep replenishing the buffet until closing time.
Outside the hotel, Nordstroms across the street has great sales, and you can walk inside through a mall to get to Michigan Avenue 2 blocks to the east - convenient on a rainy day. Restaurants in the area offer every kind of food. We tried Shaw's Crab House and Rockit and were very pleased. Be sure to try Ina's on W. Randolph for breakfast, too.
Also not to miss in the area are Millennium Park - what a fun place for kids - and the beaches along Lake Michigan. We tried a street fair to the north and had a nice walk after having lunch there.
Last but not least, the wireless access to the internet. It's free, and there's a router in each room above the kitchen cabinets. We had to reboot the router each time we signed on - unplug the power for a few seconds, then reconnect it. It worked each time we tried that.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Your downtown Chicago experience begins here, welcome to the Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown. Our location places you within walking distance to the Magnificent Mile, world-class restaurants and the infamous Chicago attractions. Where service is nothing short of extraordinary, the Homewood Suites family will welcome your every request. All of our guests will enjoy the following amenities,•Spacious, Newly Renovated two-room King suite with separate living, sleeping areas and fully equipped kitchens •Complimentary daily hot breakfast buffet •Complimentary Monday through Thursday Dinner Reception, meal with beer, wine and soda •Complimentary high-speed Wireless Internet access throughout the Hotel •Complimentary executive business center with high-speed Internet access •Complimentary cardio-fitness and indoor pool •Complimentary grocery shopping service •Complimentary coffee, tea, hot chocolate or cider all day long in the lobby •24 hour convenience shop •Hilton Honors Points -receive BOTH airline miles and hotel points for every stay with us. Check us out online for discounts and packages! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Hilton Hotels Direct, Hotels.com, TravelUp and Agoda so you can book your Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Homewood Suites By Hilton Chicago Downtown Hotel Chicago
- Homewood Suites Chicago Downtown
- Homewood Chicago
- Hilton Chicago
- Chicago Homewood Suites
- Chicago Hilton