“Sweet Home Chicago!”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown
Ranked #50 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 27 September 2009

My husband and I came to Chicago to reacquaint ourselves with this fabulous and vibrant city. We chose the Homewood Suites because of its location, my Hilton Honors membership, and the reviews here on Tripadvisor. We were not disappointed!

The staff was friendly. Jonah, John and Starr were tremendous, and I felt I knew them because of the reviews here. They did everything to make our stay comfortable. They valet parking staff was efficient and friendly, and I wish I could recall all their names.

We had a wonderful suite with a great view. There was plenty of space. Having a full kitchen was a plus, and we stocked up twice on healthy foods at Trader's Joe's just two blocks away. We also enjoyed the complimentary dinner our first night, and breakfast every day. The breakfast is very filling and is just what you need for a long day of walking, shopping and sightseeing.

The elevators were speedy. The hotel was clean. The maid service (the only name I recall is Norma, which was the name on the cart) was top notch! They even aired out the room for us.

Everyone was friendly, including the other guests. There was a lot of friendly chatter in the elevators.

Here's what makes this hotel such a gem: It is unpretentious and down-home, like Chicago itself, but still attractive with more than a dash of style. People feel comfortable here. And the people who stay here run the gamut of types: Business people, couples, families.

The location is excellent: The area is full of shops and restaurants to suit all tastes and budgets. We shopped at Nordstroms, Water Tower Place, up and down North Michigan and loved the Apple store there.

One more word about the location: It is relatively safe, and teems with life from early morning until after midnight. Chicago is a very friendly city, and everyone who works in a frontline job must have taken a guest relations course. Somebody is doing something right here!

By the way, nothing wrong with the parking fee here. It was actually less than we expected. You're in a city, for heaven's sake.

We will certainly return to the Hilton Homewood Suites on Grand Avenue. The sooner, the better!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,861)

Reviewed 26 September 2009

My fiance and I stayed at the Homewood Suites for 6 nights this September. We thoroughly enjoyed our experience there. The location is superb! We walked practically everywhere: State street, the mile, Hancock tower, the bean and museums. The restaurants in the area are also great, and there is plenty of variety.

I enjoyed having a kitchen and full refrigerator for heating up leftovers and cooking a few meals. The room was fairly spacious for a downtown Chicago hotel.

I thought the valet parking was extremely overpriced ($43 a night), and most parking garages in the area are about the same price. Oh well, that's what you get for being in the city. We had a couple of friends stay with us one night and they had their car parked in the valet lot as well. They paid for their one day of parking, only to discover that they had been charged the entire hotel bill two days later. When I spoke with the front desk about this mix up they were not too friendly about my confrontation. I spent a half and hour with them trying to resolve the issue, which should have only taken a few minutes.

Overall the experience was good, and I would plan to stay there again when I visit Chicago.

Reviewed 26 September 2009

Homewood Suites is a great bargain by its nature. Big rooms, kitchens, bedrooms. A great deal for the price. One might expect that service would suffer to in proportion to the value. Absolutely not the case here. Star pre-registered us and she was funny, charming and very helpful. Upon actual check-in later in the day, Lorena made us feel right at home, she was sweet, knowledgeable and a real professional. Toni was especially helpful in getting us into a very busy restaurant near the hotel - they knew her there and treated us like VIP's. A real treat after a long day of sightseeing. Making sure the entire machine keeps running is Manager Jennifer Kerr. She is nice, funny, and very ,very hands-on in assuring tha ther guest are as happy and aswell taken care of as possible. We give it an A+ and will definitely be back.

Reviewed 24 September 2009

Perfect location in downtown Chicago. Walking distance to all major sites. Very friendly and helpful staff. Decent complementary breakfast. Clean, spacious rooms.

Reviewed 21 September 2009

PROS - Great location, complimentary breakfast & light dinner, free internet
CONS - expensive parking, rooms are dated, not so fresh smell

The hotel staff is very helpful and plentiful. The location is very convenient to shopping, dining, and entertainment. The on-site fitness center is OK, but the CRUNCH fitness center is just downstairs and part of your hotel stay. Crunch fitness is full facility with classes, lots of cardio & weight equipment.

The first night was problematic because the toilet & kitchen faucet keep running and the freezer did not make ice. I called the front desk about the running toilet and faucet and the maintenance person could not fix everything the first day. The next day after attending the conference I returned to my room to find all my things gone. At this point I was concerned and went to the front desk and was told all my belongings had been moved to another room, last night was comp'd, and please have a free beer from the Suite Store for my troubles.

The breakfast rotates every other day but there is scrambled eggs every day accompanied by either bacon or sausage, hash browns and various cold cereals and fruit. The manager's reception is different everynight but familiar with deli meats, Italian cuisine, hot dogs, and substantial salads. There is also free beer & wine served at the Manager's reception. Definitely more than chips & pretzels.

In summary, the things that were important to me (good breakfast, workout facilities,location, free internet) were available and done consistently well. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 September 2009

First time in Chicago to celebrate our 19th wedding anniversary. Homewood Suites and the staff made it a perfect trip. The staff were very helpful and friendly. Thanks Jennifer and John for giving us a wonderful stay. The room was roomy and very nice. The breakfast was an added bonus. They had a lot of choices to please any palate. Good job Homewood.

Reviewed 19 September 2009

Another trip to the Windy City, this time in the late summer, proved to be wonderful again. I have stayed at Homewood Suites several times before and this time had friends/co-workers along for the trip. The hotel staff and services, as usual, were great. I've heard guests commenting on the slowness of the elevators, especially around check-out time, but that has never been that big of an issue with me. (Just wait for the next one!) The comp. breakfasts are filling and a great way to start you off on a day of sight-seeing or conferences. You cant beat the location!! The hotel is literally sandwiched between Nordstroms and Bloomingdales! The Weber Grill is a block away as well as many great restaurants on Rush. There is even a Trader Vic's Market 1.5 blocks away if you just want to fill up the kitchen in your room and eat in. I've always recommended this hotel to friend traveling to Chicago for the first time or for return trips. The employees are friendly and very helpful, they'll provide suggestions and even get you tickets for shows or clubs on a moments notice. I will be back again. Love the city, love Homewood Suites.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business