“The great reviews set my expectations too high”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown
Ranked #49 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Mendham, New Jersey
“The great reviews set my expectations too high”
Reviewed 19 July 2010

Based on all the great reviews, I think my expectations were too high for this hotel. It's certainly clean and the breakfast was a plus. However, if you generally stay in better hotels, this hotel will be really disappointing. I should have known based on the good price we got ($188 a night AAA rate), but the reviews and the website were both so good, I thought I was getting a much higher end hotel for a bargain of a price. While the staff tries really hard and is very friendly, the services and amenities at the hotel are really lacking. We arrived at 10 pm when the hotel was relatively quiet but our bags did not make it up to the room for close to an hour (and only after I called twice and offered to come get my kids' bags so I could change them into pjs and put them to sleep). My young son wet the bed during an afternoon nap and I called the front desk to advise them and ask for it to be cleaned as we were leaving the room at 4:30 and would return later that evening. When we arrived back in the room at night around 10 pm, no one had come to change the bed sheets and the front desk told me that they had forgotten about it. We again waited about an hour for someone to come a change the sheets (again only after I called 4 times and offered to come get the sheets myself to change the bed so that I could put my kids to sleep). The hotel comped us a night’s stay for the hassle. The pool area is in need of repair and only sometimes had towels stocked. Each time I called for towels it took at least an hour for someone to come. Our shampoo was not regularly restocked and we ran out on the last night of our stay. We called the front desk and asked for more shampoo, which the front desk advised would be outside our door by morning -- it never arrived. The bedroom is too tight as is the bathroom. The living area is spacious. All in all, while this is a neat, clean and very reasonably priced hotel, if you like amenities and service at all, this hotel will disappoint.

1 Thank Liz1030
Innkeeper64, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown, responded to this review, 10 August 2010
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. While I am pleased that our guests have given our product and service such positive reviews I am disappointed that it led you to think you were getting a different type of product than we actually are.

We are a more moderately priced hotel that strives to offer very friendly service and great value. That being said, I did note some experiences that you described during your stay that we should have done a much better job with. Prompt follow-up and ownership of service is something that we pride ourselves in and I see there were times that we did not come through for you.

I am sorry for that and I do appreciate that you brought it to my attention. Thank you again for your time.

Homewood Suites Chicago

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Warwick, New York
Reviewed 18 July 2010

As soon as you enter the hotel, the aroma of cinnamon & apples surrounds you . There is certainly a small town feel to this large hotel located in 1 of the best cities in the world.Staff are attentive and courteous, and will assist you with whatever your needs may be. The location is excellent, with many restaurants & shops within walking distance. Our room was equipped with a full kitchen which would make it a great situation for a family who may not want to spend a ton of money on city meals. Additionally, a generous breakfast is served every morning; dinner ( beer & wine included) is served Mondays-Thursdays. There is a server named Connie, who goes out of her way to make you feel special. She went above & beyond to make our stay as comfortable as she possibly could. What an outstanding woman & assett to this establishment! I would highly recommend this hotel, particulary if you are traveling with children. By the way, the hotel does have a pool & gym which I did not use, but heard good things about.

Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay with us. Thank you also for mentioning Connie. I look forward to sharing your comments with her. It will make her day. I'm glad to see also that you were able to take advantage of our location.

Thank you again and I hope we have the opportunity to serve you in the future.

General manager
Manchester UK
Reviewed 18 July 2010

We recently stayed for a week in this Chicago hotel which surpassed our expectations and is fantastic value for a central position close to all the superb attractions of this wonderful city. We were given a terrific suite with a large lounge and kitchenette with TV. Very good bedroom with a wonderful view over the cityscape - which we never tired of looking at - also with TV. NIce bathroom and separate area with wardrobes/washbasin. We were very happy there. The breakfast was extremely generous and well-cooked. For 4 evenings there was supper included (with wine) which was very welcome. There are constant free hot drinks available and a small shop which comes in very useful - all this helps to keep the cost of the holiday down. Every member of staff was unfailingly charming and helpful. So, we have very fond memories of this hotel and would like to thank everyone there for helping to make our holiday so enjoyable.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts about your stay with us. I was very pleased to see that we provide you with great memories. That sort of sums up everything we try to do here.

I hope we have the opportunity to have you as our guest again in the future.

Manchester, England
Reviewed 18 July 2010

Our third stay at the Homewood Suites Chicago proved to be just as great as the previous two. The staff are consistently friendly, polite and professional - and this applies whether they are working at the front door, servicing the rooms, managing the breakfast room or on the reception desk. They genuinely seem happy to be working here and can't do enough for their guests. The rooms are large and clean and seem to have good insulation from each other (we didn't hear a thing from our neighbours and the hotel was quite busy).
The hotel is well placed for walking to the shops on Michigan Ave, or catching a bus or subway. There is a Jewel Osco and a Trader Joes each within a couple of blocks, which are perfect for stocking up on groceries etc. My husband heartily recommends 'Binnies Beverage Depot' for a huge variety of beer.
Now all we need is an excuse to return to Chicago next year - then we can make it four years on the run at the Homewood Suites, because we wouldn't stay anywhere else!

Dear valued guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay with us and for the kind thoughts. Thank you in particular for noting the efforts of the staff. That means a lot to them

...now you just have to find that excuse to come back and visit some time.

st louis mo
Reviewed 17 July 2010

Great hotel and great location me and my family just went there for the week and loved it the staff from front lobby to the guys at the front door especially jonah great with the kids and remembered us from last stay .The breakfast and dinners they have from monday thru thursday very good to eat and great for the pocket book nothing beats free hotle room was just fine for the family ! Only downfall is the pool area very outdated and water was really warm not to inviting.Please tip the guy flagging cabs and running down the street more than a dollar he real deserves it don't remember his name but he is great .The location is close to everything sears tower. chicago river , mag mile 1 block away,navy pier 6 blocks away everything is within walking distance and the red line 1/2 block for wrigley field can't beat this hotel for families AWESOME!!!!!

1 Thank majeck
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us and for the kind thoughts. I also do appreciate you noting Jonah's efforts. It means a lot to the staff to hear that feedback.

Thank you again and I hope we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 16 July 2010

This is a great place tfor everyone. I was here on business travel and found that this hotel far exceeded my expectations. The business center is great and has free computers with free internet access, as well as printers. The fitness center and pool are on the top floor and, at night, have fantastic views of the city lights. Both breakfast and dinner (with beer and wine) are complimentary. The location is great -- one block from the Red line, and walking distance to just about everything. It appears to be a very safe area.
I recommend this place to anyone looking for a clean, incredibly comfortable, roomy suite with lots and lots of free amenities. .
And, yes, you can believe all these favorable comments.

1 Thank travellove28
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your kind thoughts on Trip Advisor. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Please do keep us in mind if your travels bring you back to Chicago in the future.

Morristown, New Jersey
Reviewed 16 July 2010

I was in Chicago for a week of business travel. I had never stayed at a Homewoods Suites before but will not hesitate to use this Hilton chain in the future. This is not a 'fancy' hotel, with over the top decor or unnecessary potted plants and the like. The suites are equipped with a kitchen, and essentials to maintain a normal living enviornment, for singles and family. Meals are served in a central area, both AM and evening, with wine and beer, and are certainly sufficient to maintain anyone's nutrient needs. This comes as part of the room costs. The staff, all of the staff, I found to be friendly, accomodating and made my stay feel like I was almost in a 'neighborhood', not a hotel! My room was clean. The halls are not air conditioned, and the carpet is a tad bit worn, but don't let this dissuade anyone from not considering this hotel. It is in a good location for seeing Chicago for out of town'ers.

1 Thank JerseyGirl59_10
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for your review and your kind thoughts. I really appreciate your comment about the staff. Referring to the feel as that of a neighborhood was very meaningful.

I hope you consider us for future visits to Chicago.