“Great Place, Great Staff, Great Location”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown
Ranked #48 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 28 August 2010

Stayed for five days. Arrived early on Amtrak expecting to have the hotel hold our luggage...but we were thrilled that our room was available. (booked specific room we wanted the night before on Hilton's web site - very convenient) The staff at this hotel were simply the best. From our first entrance at the front door, to the check in staff, dining room staff, cleaning staff...all extremely helpful and kind! Star (from front desk) and Connie (dining room staff) you two were amazing....not with just us...but with everyone.

The location of the hotel is so convenient. The restaurants and shops are an easy walk. The Red Line is a one minute walk away - a super fast and cheap way to travel....24 hour pass for $5.75 - we used it to go to the theatre district and out to Lincoln Park area...super easy.

Our room was very clean and comfortable. It is an older property but is kept up well. Two flat screen tv's...one in bedroom - the other in the living room. Kitchen with full size fridge was great to have...breakfast was great...only had the evening meal once - it was good...complimentary cold draft beer or wine - perfect...beer with nacho chips and salsa before we went out for a late dinner...perfect.

Free wi-fi

We did use the pool....great view of city on 19th floor.

Overall - loved the hotel...missing Chicago already.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cawwac
There are newer reviews for Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown

Reviewed 27 August 2010

My husbandand I stayed at the Homewood Suites Chicago Downtown along with our two years old daughter. We travel three to four times a year. I have been to Chicago several times and I have to admit that the Homewood suites excells in the Cutomer Service department. The location was good, shopping and resturants in walking distance. The rooms were spacious and clean yet standard furniture. We had a great view from our room, the bed was comfortable and they made sure that a crib was available for our child. Check in was smooth. Our interaction was mostly with the Concierge/bell men who were very charming, helpful and friendly in particular Amir. I applaude the hotel for recruiting such personnel. The Homewood Suites offers a breakfast daily and dinner from M-F. The breakfast and dinner were average as far as selection and taste, lacked creativity and flavour, but gracious enough from the hotel to offer for free. It helps a lot if you have kids with you and if you are traveling on a budget. I highly recommend gettng rid of the carnation plant, it gives the room a very cheap look, could very well be replacebale by something more modern. I also believe that the manager can certainly bring some outside-the-box creativity to the hotel," a balloon to a child could equal a basket of chocolate and champagne to an adult :)The Homewood Suites Chicago downtown is not the J.W. Marriott or the Ritz Carlton, its not the plush and elegence that you'de experience in the Sutton Place, it doesnt have the striking architecture and the contemporary design, but I can gaurantee you that the staff at this hotel have the spirit to serve.

Reviewed 27 August 2010

Decided to go with this hotel after seeing it was the best rated for families on TripAdvisor. I would agree wholeheartedly. Location is excellent. Included breakfast is excellent. The rooms are excellent - having the suite allows you to close the door and let the kids go to bed without having to sit in the dark. Full fridge, microwave dishwasher, sink, table so you can easily keep milk/food for the week or just get takeout and eat in the room when you can't face another night of waiting for a table with hungry kids.

The valet/concierge staff was the best I've ever experienced. They were all extremely nice and helpful, it was the same crew every day so we felt comfortable with them and most importantly, they very friendly to kids. Especially a man named Adbul - he remembered our kids (4 and 6) every time we came in or out and joked around with them, which made them feel very special.

Room was clean and well maintained. To be honest and objective, the first day we were there there was a hair on one of the towels which freaked my wife out, but I didn't think it was a huge deal and it didn't happen again. We had to call for extra towels every night instead of them just leaving them for us when they cleaned the room, but they always brought them up right away. But these are minor points - overall excellent.

The pool is on the 19th floor with big windows with city view. The kids were excited but with the sunshine it felt like a sauna so we didn't spend time there. But it was as nice as any hotel pool I've seen.

Read the comments about the fact that they only have 2 elevators which caused some people delays, but I have to say we didn't experience that at all - the elevators always came right away even during peak times.

Shuttle to Navy Pier drops you off right in front of the hotel. We walked into Phil Stefani's Italian restaurant around the corner and while it was a higher end restaurant, they welcomed us with our kids in our shorts and we had a great meal.

The hotel is right across from a hotel with great shopping. Highly recommend the Lego Store. We went to the Legoland play center in Schaumburg the next day (highly recommend) and you can buy tickets at the store in the mall for a great discount. Saved us $28.

Easy walk to Michigan Ave. My wife and daughter did the whole American Girl thing and had a great time.

Overall a really excellent hotel that we will definitely stay at again.

2  Thank John43214
Reviewed 25 August 2010

**Don't forget to hit the Tripadvisor "check rates" button to get an idea of what's a good rate.
**After I had booked my stay, I noticed that TripAdvisor had an exclusive coupon code for FREE PARKING which, if it works, is a GREAT DEAL here, since they want what amounts to about $50 a day. I tried calling to amend my reservation to use the code and they didn't recognize it. It may be that you can only use it via TripAdvisor.
**Try here for a deal too: http://homewoodsuites.hilton.com/en/hw/promotions/index.jhtml

**This is a good-enough, very convenient CITY base in a superb location for doing CITY stuff all day, coming back only for a few half-hour chunks, and finally to sleep. If the hotel itself is the THING for you, you might need to look elsewhere.

**Breakfast is good enough-- we had it 4 times. There are takeout containers.
**The evening meal wasn't inspired but it was helpful to have it at least once. The wine wasn't worth a taste.

**We had a one-bedroom suite that was little crowded for 5, but it served well enough. There was a pullout couch (you had to ask that they don't keep folding it up), plus we were given an inflatable twin bed, which the kids loved. Because my tall teenager wanted the couch to himself, we set up the camping cot in the small kitchenette and the maid service was very kind to daily make that up as well.
**If you have any time to hang out in the hotel, you could go down to the 6th floor lobby and use the internet or watch the TV, and there was a little seating area down the hall of our floor.

**Chicago was just one stop on our 9-state road trip so I was, in this very transit-friendly location, stuck with a car. Rather than pay the high parking fees (which do allow in/out), I called a local friend and they arranged for my parking near their home and I picked up the car at the end of our stay.

**The train is a very short walk away and the Red Line is convenient to most attractions, including both baseball stadiums.
**There are buses nearby that go to the museums, and Magnificent Mile is also quite walkable. NOTE: There is a short cut to get to North Michigan Avenue (aka Mag. Mile) via a flight of stairs. Ask how to get there.. I found it on my last day.
**Navy Pier is also fairly walkable.
**Nearby are local-flavor eats: Portillos (so worth the stop), Giordanos, Unos, Dues, and Ginos. Always a wait at any of these places, but Portillos is very efficient.
**Millenium Park is also somewhat walkable. Be sure to check out the Bean!
**Also nearby, the Hershey shop (there is a coupon in the street lobby), Garrett's Popcorn (the butter popcorn is not worth it; the Chicago mix is pretty tasty), and the John Hancock tower!!
**Around the corner is a grocery store, Jewel-Osco! Get your treats & necessities here.

**There is a coin laundry room onsite.

**I suggest that, if you aren't going to research pre-trip, instead of counting on asking the 6th floor lobby for sightseeing advice, peruse the tourism magazines available in the room, scan through the pamphlets in the street lobby, or even, just walk around the neighborhood for 15 blocks in any direction, including UP! Do ask for a map when you check-in; lots of good info on that too.

3  Thank RoadTrip19Mom
Innkeeper64, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2010

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us and providing helpful hints. I am sure travelers, whether they stay with us or not, will find your tips helpful. i enjoyed your review because it was clear that you made the most of your stay in Chicago.

Thank you again and I hope we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 24 August 2010

We chose this hotel for our family reunion and a wedding from reviews on TripAdvisor and were not disappointed. The location was perfect and the staff friendly and helpful. We enjoyed both the breakfasts and the evening meals, a plus for budget-conscious families. The kids especially enjoyed the pool.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your stay with us and for choosing us for your family events. I am glad other trip Advisor members steered you here and that you enjoyed your stay.

Thank you again and I hope that you think of us should your travels bring you back to Chicago.

General manager

Reviewed 22 August 2010

I have been a road warrior most of my professional life. Hotels that I have stayed in range from The Peninsula in Hong Kong to a half-star motel in Red Oak, Iowa. All that being said, I have got to say that nowhere have I felt more welcomed, looked-after and important as I did in this wonderful Chicago hotel. The staff is multi-ethnic and multi-cultural, but you feel like one of them, regardless of who you are or where you are coming from. Three people come to mind that I would like to point out: Lorena, at the Front Desk, Rosario, in the Guest Dining Area and Ivan, in the Lower Lobby Entrance.This hotel works like a symphonic orchestra conducted by Leonard Bernstein. Everybody, and I mean everybody is a virtuoso and I am a better person for having met and stayed at such a wonderful establishment. If you could rate this hotel 12 stars, that would have been my rating.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Onemiamiman

Dear Valued Guest,

It is hard for me to stress enough how meaningful your thoughts were to are staff here. I am very happy that their efforts impacted your stay in such a way.

Our staff takes a great deal of pride in what they do so it was a pleasure for me to share your review with all of them and in particular the three staff members you mentioned specifically.

Thank you again and I do hope we have the pleasure of serving you again in the future.

Reviewed 20 August 2010

Stayed at this hotel and everything was wonderful. Great location walking distance to most everywhere. Navy Pier shuttle came right down our street. Breakfast and supper buffet delicious, with many choices all included in price and served on regular dishes not paper. Staff very helpful in every way. Our one bedroom suite was roomy and equipped with all that was needed to make it a perfect vacation.

1  Thank Kay1210

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts about your recent stay with us. It is nice to see when people take advantage of the nice walks around the hotel. I am glad that you were able to enjoy much of what Chicago has to offer as well.

Thank you again and I hope you consider us for future trips to Chicago.