“Great location, clean room, and great breakfast!”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown
Ranked #50 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 29 December 2010

We stayed at this hotel due to its proximity to Michigan Avenue for shopping after taking in Wicked the night before. It's just a short taxi ride from the theater district and a very short walk to the Shops at North Bridge which includes Nordstrom and Lego. The hot breakfast buffet was wonderful - the hotel was booked the night we were there but the staff did a great job keeping everything running smoothly. Would stay here again in a heartbeat!

1  Thank JAW14
Innkeeper64, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2010

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your stay with us. I love to see guests taking advantage of our great location and enjoying Chicago.

I hope we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 29 December 2010

This hotel was terrific. The staff (front desk, bellmen, and breakfast room staff) were exceptionally helpful and friendly. We could walk almost anywhere, including the Art Institute and a full range of restaurants. I am a poor sleeper so I worry about big city hotels, but we heard NO street noise. It was great that the suite had two rooms including full-size refrigerator for restaurant leftovers. Since we stayed in mid-December, we also appreciated that the range of complimentary hot coffee and teas was available in the lobby all day and evening.
The one bizarre issue (maybe limited to our room #815 since the front desk had never heard of this an issue) was that the toilet wasn't placed properly. A small groove had been carved out of the bathroom door so the door could even shut. And we had to lift up the toilet seat each time we needed to open and close the bathroom door. Yuck!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Yankeeinexile

Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your review. I'm glad to see you took advantage of our location and the weather must have cooperated.

Regarding the toilet placement, yes that is unique to that room although I wasn't aware until now that the seat still blocked the door. I believe this was shared with me after you spoke to our desk staff. Thank you for letting us know as we will be able to correct that.

Thank you again for your time and Happy New Year.

Reviewed 26 December 2010

My husband, in-laws, and I spent two nights at the Homewood Suites Chicago just before Christmas. We booked two one-bedroom suite rooms at a fantastic rate, and we were impressed at this hidden gem located just steps from the Magnificient Mile in Chicago. We were right in the middle of all the action, and yet the hotel was extremely quiet. It was clean, and the service was exceptional. We enjoyed the indoor pool, and we were pleasantly surprised at the breakfast and evening (weekday) dinner that was provided at no cost.

We did experience one slight problem during our stay, and the management took care of the problem quickly and efficiently, no questions asked. Most hotel managers miss the mark with customer service and begin arguing with customers when a problem arises. Not the staff at the Homewood Suites. Our problem was resolved, and we felt taken care of. The only reason I mention the issue is to describe how well we were treated.

I would definitely choose this property when staying in Chicago, and I would highly recommend the Homewood Suites to anyone. We saw families, solo travelers, and international travelers at this property, and everyone seemed very happy. The Homewood Suites Chicago made it easy to enjoy the city, especially before a busy holiday.

2  Thank conalvo

Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts about your stay with us. I'm pleased to see that you enjoyed your time in Chicago. I'm sorry that you experienced a problem but happy to see that we took care of it for you.

I hope we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future. Happy New Year.

Reviewed 25 December 2010

We have stayed in Chicago numerous times and at various hotels but after staying at the Homewood Suites Chicago for 4 nights, we know we have found the perfect hotel to return to! First of all the staff is outstanding---- everyone including housekeeping, front door/parking, front desk, the breakfast /dinner buffet staff,made us feel so much at home and they were genuinely happy. Need to mention one particular lady---Connie who made sure that the breakfast buffet room operated smoothly in such a pleasant manner---just made us feel like we were visiting family! The staff also replenished the buffet in a timely manner----nothing ever "ran out" and the selection was varied and fresh It was great too not to be eating on disposable plates and cups. I notice cleanliness and this hotel was very clean and our room passed my picky standards each day. The bed and linens were so comfy and we slept wonderfully. Thank you for a wonderful experience in Chicago!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MichiganderMom

Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts and for the kind comments. In particular thank you for mentioning Connie as that will mean a lot to her. As you are a regular traveler to Chicago I am happy we made you feel at home as that is our objective.

I hope we get the opportunity to serve you again. Happy New Year.

David prentiss
General manager

Reviewed 16 December 2010

The staff at Homewood Suites is wonderful! Everyone goes out of their way to make sure you feel welcome and have everything you need. The rooms are nice and it's so convenient to have a full kitchen when traveling with a baby. We've stayed at other hotels in Chicago, but when we return, we will definitely stay at Homewood Suites again.

1  Thank juniperkay

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for sharing your review. I'm happy to hear that we are a good fit for you and your family. I look forward to having you as our guest in the future.

Happy New Year.

Reviewed 13 December 2010

Homewood Suites Downtown Chicago is in a great location and the staff is great! I have watched the staff treat first time guests just like those who have stayed many times, offering directions, suggestions for dining, transportation schedules. The hotel is located close to everything downtown and walking isn't far to most places for eating, shopping or tourist spots. The hotel itself is warm and comfortable, the rooms offer a homey atmosphere with your own kitchen separate bedrooms, two TV's, wake up service, etc. To name everyone at the hotel who have made my stays welcome would be difficult; from the Bell Hop and Valet Services who greet you before you even enter the door to Management, Sales, Guest Services, the Dining Room staff, Housekeeping and Maintenance everyone smiles and wants to do something for you. I have spent the past several years traveling for business in the Chicago area with most of my stays at this hotel. I have also stayed here several times for pleasure with family and friends. In the past three years they have become my family away from home.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business

Dear valued guest,

I don't think anything is more gratifying for me than to hear that you are made to feel like family here. The staff here feels the same way. Homewood Suites really has the best guests anywhere and I am a well travelled hotel manager. Building relationships is what the staff here enjoys the most.

Thank you again and we look forward to continuing to have you as our guest.

Reviewed 9 December 2010

This is a nice hotel. It has a pool but no hot tub. There is an exercise room with 2 treadmills, weights, recumbent bike, and some sort of elliptical type thing. The pool is hit or miss on crowding. On Fri at 8PM there was no one there but us, but on Sun at 1030AM it was too crowded for my daughter to want to swim. On Sun at 1140AM it was empty. It goes from 3 feet to 4.5 feet.
The room has a living room/kitchen with table seating for 2. There is a 2 burner stove, good size microwave, almost full size fridge, coffeemaker, and 2 slice toaster. There is a separate bedroom with king bed and a full bath off of that. I did notice some little imperfections (toilet paper holder slightly bent, luggage rack looks a little worn), but in general the room is clean and in good repair.
There is a breakfast buffet (7-10 on weekends and 630-930 on weekdays). So far they have had eggs, bacon or sausage, potatoes, corned beef hash, grits, fruit, toast/bagels to toast, and tea/coffee/juice/milk. They have takeout containers so you can take breakfast back to the room. Tip for this, I brought down one of those plastic bags you get from the store and it was really helpful for carrying the food back. Usually I end up juggling the containers and drinks and everything in the elevator. The elevators were really crowded on Sun AM, but otherwise have not been bad.
You enter on the 1st floor (there is valet parking which I think was about $40-50/day, but it was included in our room rate so I don’t remember exactly). I’m pretty sure there are in and out privileges, but we are not driving again until we check out. There are several restaurants within a block or so of the hotel, and Nordstroms is right across Grand Ave (the other entrance to the Nordstroms Mall is on Michigan Ave). We walked to Navy Pier and it took about 30 min or so (not rushing and running into the parade on Michigan making us have to backtrack). We took the bus up to Water Tower Place, but it was certainly walkable, we just felt like taking the bus.
The staff has been pleasant. The guy who parked our car has called me by name every time we have come back to the hotel (just saying hi). In fact last night when we came in he said “Hi Mrs X” (using my last initial) which was a little disconcerting, but did not offend me. I don’t know if that familiarity would offend others or not.
There are a lot of families with kids staying here, but they have been generally well behaved and well supervised. Several times my daughter went to the pool and it was empty except for her, which doesn’t happen often in hotels we stay at.
We did have a slight problem on checkout. On the receipt they put under the door for express checkout they charged me for parking, which was supposed to be included in my rate. However, when I took it down to the desk and told them they immediately changed it with no argument and apologized, so I certainly can’t hold it against them. All we lost was the express checkout. They also let us leave our car in the garage until 5 or 6 PM on our check out day at no extra charge. Overall, I would certainly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family

Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for submitting a detailed review of your stay complete with useful tips. I'm sure other travelers will find this useful. I'm glad to see you took advantage of our location and it seems you enjoyed your time in Chicago.

Thank you again and Happy New Year.