“Would recommend to others!”

Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast
Ranked #121 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Riverdale, Maryland, United States
“Would recommend to others!”
Reviewed 12 July 2012

My wife and I were in town for the Taste of Chicago in July 2012. The accomodations were clean and spacious. We were also pleasantly surprised by the hardwood floors in our room and the delightful decor in our room as well as throughout the entire hotel. As pet lovers, we greatly appreciated how hospitable everyone was to our four-legged family member - providing dog treats, toys and water bowl for him in the lobby! Definitely two "paws" up! Furthermore, the fitness center was sufficent and the location is close to everything! The front desk staff was very helpful as well.

The only drawback to this hotel was the lack of a refrigerator and microwave in the suite. The staff made up for this by storing our leftovers from a night out on the town in their refrigerator. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is in town and looking for clean, safe and comfortable accomodations.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Corey B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Thai first
Orchard Park, New York
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Charming hotel in the heart of Chicago. Walking distance to all the great things to do: restaurants, shopping, the beach, Navy Pier. The fact that the building is 'older' makes you feel like it belongs there among the 100 year old brownstones in the windy city. The decor is cheerful, bright and fun! Family and dog friendly.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Waukegan, Illinois
Reviewed 11 July 2012

I had trouble with my key and was locked out of my guest room. German Housmen, an employee standing nearby asked my problem and told me to wait there and he would get me a key that worked. In what seemed like only 10 minutes - and that type of wait usually seems a lot longer - German arrived with a key that worked. What a nice man. I actually made my appointment on time. I called down to the desk and requested a cab as I was leaving my room and one was waiting at the door for me. The staff makes a point of recognizing you and making sure that you are comfortable. I was very impressed with the service and will certainly stay at Hotel Indigo again.

Room Tip: My first stay so I can't compare.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I really enjoyed this hotel. It couldn't be in a better location. There are tons of things within walking distance and it is close to the train as well. My queen bed room was small, but everything was nice and up-to-date. There isn't really a restaurant in the hotel (just some breakfast basics at a little deli-type counter as far I could tell), but you are so close to restaurants within walking distance, who cares? I really liked the price I paid - good value for the money.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Wausau, Wisconsin
Reviewed 8 July 2012

The location is pretty fantastic - right by the red line, a grocery store, Starbucks, Walgreens, and a 24 hour Dunkin Donuts/Baskin Robbins. Lots of great neighborhoods and activities within walking distance. That is pretty much all I can say kindly about the hotel.

First, one elevator was broken the entire time we were there. The elevator that did work has the capacity to hold maybe 6 or 8 people - less with luggage. As a results, waits for the elevator were very long and sometimes we had to wait several times around for a ride.

Second, the temperature in our room was never below 77 degrees the entire time we were there. It was hot and humid - an awful experience. The air conditioner in our room didn't allow the temperature to be set under 65, so we couldn't cool it down any more. Plus, housekeeping turned off the air on a very hot day, so it was a scorcher when we came back one day. On top of that, we were forced into a smoking room. As someone with allergies who comes from a smoke-free state, this was totally miserable.

Third, the room was dirty. Not filthy, but definitely dirty. There was hair on the floor every day. Our shampoo and conditioner had hair on it the first day that wasn't ours - it was clear by the amount in the bottles that they had previously been used. Our TP wasn't replaced. Dirty glasses were left sitting out on the nightstand. Our sheets has blood spots on them. It was gross. A lot of the dirt is just because the place needs refurbishing...kind of like an old house. It's technically clean, but just doesn't feel clean. Our bed was super squeaky too.

I would never stay here again. I'm not entirely sure I would ever stay at any Hotel Indigo again based on this experience. The lobby was super cute. It had so much potential, but it just fell short.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Spanish Fort, Alabama
Reviewed 6 July 2012

A fab little boutique hotel with nice, clean, comfortable rooms, and stylish decor. Great location and an easy walk to some decent restaurants and shops on Chicago's Gold Coast. Not much in the way of on site dining - there's a cafe with some basic breakfast items, a small lounge bar usually staffed by indifferent bartenders who don't know how to use the remote for the TV.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Reviewed 4 July 2012

This hotel has one of most friendly staff I have ever come across. Location is great as it's a walking distance from Rush Street (party area), the magnificent mile and other important areas in Chicago. The cafe at the hotel has some interesting lines on the menu. Will always prefer to stay here.

Room Tip: Just go there and enjoy!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business