“Indigo does not leave you 'blue'”

Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast
Ranked #123 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 25 October 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Indigo last weekend and had a fantastic stay! The checkin staff was marvelous and helpful with directions and ideas where to go eat and hear music. The room was lovely and quiet. The big flat screen tv was nice as well as the Kuerig coffee maker in the room. The shower was roomy. We had a corner unit on the 11th floor and it had an okay view (remember, this hotel is in a residential area so we saw lots of other buildings!). I loved the fact that they had Aveda products (Shampoo, conditioner, lotion and soaps). We had a king bed and it was comfy with lots of pillows (yep, i am a girl that loves pillows).

One downside is that they dont have parking onsite so you have to use the ramp next door. They charge $41 per 24 hour period - but the hotel will give you a $2 discount if you give them your parking ticket.

Lake Michigan was 3 blocks away - easy walk! Nice to walk along the lake (you can get to the sand or just use the walking/bike paths too) We walked all the way to Navy Pier (about 1.3 miles)

The L train was 2 blocks away with easy access to the Red Line so we parked the car the whole time and walked or took the L. And there were tons of bars and restaurants nearby (even the famed "Mothers" from St Elmos Fire)
No pool, no hot tub. They do have a spa and fitness room (we did not partake in either)

Room Tip: We liked our room... Room 1111 - big king bed, nice flat screen tv. Table nook to eat at.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Destini W, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2012

We loved the title of your review!! Our goal is that no one leaves here feeling "blue" even though it is the primary color in our decor!! Thank you for choosing our hotel and for the terrific review! Please come see us again soon!!

Reviewed 24 October 2012

The best part of this hotel is its location. Quite near to the red line, about 5 minutes walk, so you can get the train from the airport, one change, and you're there, takes about 40 minutes and will save you a taxi fare of about 40 bucks I believe. The hotel itself is efficient if unspectacular. If you want agood view from your room don't go there. The bar area is quiet and only open from 17.00 I think. There are two computers available with internet access, a printer on each and no charge for this service. As said it's the location that does it, within a 5 minute walk you have the best bar & restaurant area in the City in my opinion. Loads to choose from and various price ranges as well. It's about a 25 minute walk to the river and then a further 5-10 miuntes to Millenium Park, that won't harm any one with reasonable health. Chicago is a great city, but I did hear one slightly disturbing crime figure that in August of this year there were 70 murders. Apparently that is way above the norm, although they did not say what the norm was, they were trying to analyse why the figure was so high. As long as you keep to the main areas, there will not be a problem. Certainly I never felt threatened and if you go off the beaton track take a taxi, the city is swarming with them. Back to the hotel I found the staff quite good, the room was neat and tidy as was the bathroom and cleaned daily while I was there. As allready stated don't expect the Ritz, but what I got was a functional hotel, neat & tidy with an excellent location.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo

We agree, our location is terrific!! Thank you for choosing our hotel and for giving us the opportunity to have you as our guest!! Please come see us again soon!!

Reviewed 18 October 2012

I hosted a meeting of colleagues in Chicago and choose Hotel Indigo because I thought it would be more fun than a traditional business hotel we usually stay in. When I made the reservations for four rooms for October 16th, I clearly stated that I wanted no-smoking rooms. Upon checking in we were told only smoking rooms where available. The stench was so bad that one of my colleagues could only stay for several hours in the room so wound up sitting for hours in the lobby. The bathrooms were not clean with hair and dirt everywhere. Nor were the front desk staff very helpful. While The location was great as was the decor in the lobby,I would not recommend this place.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Destini W, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2012

Thank you for your review. I apologize we did not meet your expectations. Your comments will be shared with our entire team as we continually work towards improving the overall Hotel Indigo guest experience. Please alllow us to share that we will be going entirely non-smoking in early 2013. I realize this does not help you now, we just hope you'll give us another chance to have you as our guest. Thank you for your honest feedback!

Reviewed 12 October 2012

I recently stayed 3 nights here, booking the room using my priority club points. I'm Platinum but was really happily surprised to be given an unprompted room upgrade despite using the points. I've stayed in a few Indigo's and as others have pointed out this is not typical of the brand. It's beach club theme was pretty cool but I did miss the more contemporary feel of the others I've stayed at. However where it did beat the others was in its room size which was easily the largest of any of their properties I've been to.

It's location is great for exploring this amazing city. It's a couple of minutes walk from the red line but I walked everywhere most if the time as the hotel is an easy walk to downtown. I never used room service and would have sed the ar but it was pretty deserted and not vey inviting and with plenty of nearby bars I chose to stay away.

I'd absolutely recommend the property for its location and rooms (if you get an ugrade) but would only push you to stay if you get a great rate or want to use points like me (it's redemption rate is less than the CP).

Chicago is a fantastic city for a city break!

Room Tip: I gotta corner room on the top flor. Very quiet and spacious.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Destini W, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2012

Thank you for your wonderful review! I am delighted to hear you received Platinum service and that you enjoyed your upgrade! We agree our location is fantastic for anyone wanting to explore Chicago. We can't thank you enough for choosing our hotel and hope you come and see us again soon!

Reviewed 5 October 2012

Just used Indigo for my wedding party and they went above and beyond to accomodate my guests. The area is so nice and the rooms were fresh. Rhonda was the best! If you need a comfortable place at a good price for your guests, choose the Indigo!

Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family

First, please let us say congratulations!! Second, please allow us to thank you for choosing our hotel and for recommending it to others! We appreciate your wonderful review and wish you a very bright and happy future!!

Reviewed 3 October 2012

The decor is like a youth hostel, but I think the service is actually worse than that. When I got to the hotel to check in, the woman at the desk made no move to actually greet me or check me in. Then the computers froze. The whole process took about 15 minutes longer than it should have.

I finally got to my room and realized it was the size of a walk in closet. The TVs are from 1999. My *free* wifi didn't actually work. At night I turned on the heat (or was it AC? I don't really know.) and basically woke up every hour when it loudly turned on.

In the morning, I couldn't even get breakfast since I was warned it would take a very long time.

When I finally checked out of there, I was told that no cabs come to the hotel due to construction (be warned!) I was told that I had to go down the street (with luggage) and get my own cab. I did that -- but no cabs came by at 8:30 am. So, I came back to the hotel, in the pouring rain and the doorman made absolutely no effort to get the door for me. Or in any way help me to find a cab. I finally got a co-worker to come pick me up in their cab (from their hotel), and the doorman didn't even make any effort to help put my luggage in the cab. I don't understand why he is on the payroll.

This hotel just plain sucks on service. I would give this place 1 star, but at least it was clean (or so it seemed).

Room Tip: stay elsewhere?
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your review. We share all our reviews with our Team in order to ensure our service is always improving. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to continue to improve all aspects of our service culture. Attention to detail is a must and we will take your comments and take action. Thanks again for your honest feedback!

Reviewed 1 October 2012

This hotel has no idea what service is! Just try to order breakfast . Rooms are small and in need of an update. Our room was not what we consider clean, trash still in wastebasket when we arrived. Lacking comfortable furniture and definitely no views of outside from the room. Great neighborhood and that is we're it ends. This would be a great hotel,if they would step it up and update the rooms and offer the service we deserve for the price we pay!! Our room still had packing paper around the chair legs,talk about details !

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2012

Dear Johhn D,

Thank you for your feedback. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I am sorry you found your room accommodations and the service you received not deserving of the price you paid. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving the quality and service we offer to our guests.

I hope that you will give us the pleasure of hosting you again on your next visit.

Regards,