“Going out of Business?”

Ranked #122 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Saint Simons Island, Georgia
“Going out of Business?”
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Our 4 day stay experience: Had to get a new key card EVERY time we returned to room...morning noon & night. No response from laconic staff. Attitude was "that's your problem". No regular coffee refills. Told they were out…each day…and if we wanted coffee we should get dressed and come down to the restaurant. Wife met a friend at the bar. Bartender wouldn't put tea lights on the table & when my wife asked him to light one for her table, he snapped "YOU go out and get some". Then he went back to bar and clipped his fingernails AT the bar. Some employees friendly but most very sour and seemed to care less about helping.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
2 Thank Robert E
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear Robert E,

Thank you so much for your recent comments. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering a world class experience. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. I'd like to apologize for the issues you experienced at our hotel. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Thai first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I checked into this hotel expecting that it would be a great stay- good location, rooms looked nice, etc. What I was not expecting was no off street parking, no parking ramps nearby, and when I asked the lady at the front desk for parking suggestions her reply was "I don't drive" so she couldn't help. I was tired, and it was late, so we ended up utilizing the valet next door, which is $45 for an overnight! We then tried to check in and found that the hotel had cancelled my reservation, as my credit card had been declined when I initially reserved my room online. The hotel however, did not notify me that my card had been declined and I had received an email reservation confirmation, only to arrive and find out I had no room! The front desk, to their credit, quickly rectified the problem and gave me a room. I dropped off my things in my room and came back later that night after dinner to watch a movie. As I settled in, I heard someone at my door and the next second someone was opening the door! The man opened the door (which had been locked but not deadbolted) stuck his head in, and he apologized and closed the door without an explanation. I ran to the peep hole and saw him duck into the elevator. I quickly went down to the hotel lobby and explained to the front desk what had happened, and the lady at the front apologized and said that she had not given out any other keys to the room. I described what the man looked like and she told me it sounded like an employee (who apparently didn't feel the need to tell the front desk or let me know what exactly they were doing peeking into occupied rooms?). She gave me a new set of keys and I asked her to let me know when she talked to the employee whether or not it was in fact him. For peace of mind, I expected she would follow through. I went back to my room and the lady at the front desk called to ask if I had gotten in with the new keys, which obviously I had, and I asked if she had talked to the employee. She told me that he "wasn't here". I replied, "So, let me get this straight. An employee keyed into my room, ran into the elevator, and then fled the hotel?" Doesn't sound like an employee to me! She then explained he wasn't at the front desk, to which I asked if she could then contact him, as they all had walkie talkies. She then told me she could not help me and hung up. About an hour later, ANOTHER person tried to key into my room, and this time the door was bolted and the key card did not work. I ran to the peephole and a different man was leaving my door and heading to the elevator. Needless to say, the front desk never called me to let me know about either incidents, and never apologized or offered compensation. The hotel was not clean either- I woke up the next morning and found that my shower had mold on the ceiling, hair on the floor and the upon opening the closed toilet seat, found hair as well. The comforter on the bed, when pulled back, had deep colored, large stains in multiple places. If the customer service at the hotel wasn't already horrific enough, the unsanitary conditions certainly pushed this hotel over the top for me. I sincerely hope that you would consider another hotel nearby before this one. I stay all over the country in many different IHG family hotels and this is by far the WORST hotel I've ever stayed in!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Emily R
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Dear rixeem01,

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Stayed at Indigo hotel Chicago for several days many times. Very friendly and helpful staff. Special thanks to Alma Hodzic! Rooms are clean and have very interesting design. The hotel is well located. Highly recommended!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are comfortable
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Let's start with the positives, shall we? Great location in a safe neighborhood. Only a few minutes walk to the nearest subway station and lots of great restaurants. Erica is a joy at the front desk when you arrive. Lisa and Alma (front office manager) were also super friendly and warm. When we arrived they offered us complementary drinks and snacks. Reasonable prices and spacious accommodations await you. There's also a bar and cafe downstairs.

Now the negatives. First of all, Eldina at the front desk was extremely rude as if we were inconveniencing her with any requests. She also refused to help us several times. The internet is very slow, which made it difficult to do work in the room. The rooms, while being comfortable and large, are a bit old and outdated.

Room Tip: Internet is better in the lobby.
2 Thank Merlin C
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Perfect spot blocks from Gold Coast,Michigan mile and Lincoln park. A short walk to lakeshore ! Blocks from great restaurants, bars, shopping and public transportation. A little pricey but we got a great deal staying thanksgiving day and checking out the Monday after.

Room Tip: Always ask for corner room better views
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Siesta Key, Florida
Reviewed 10 December 2013

A great place to stay, close to bars and shopping. Rooms can be small but very comfortable. Would definitely stay again. Staff very accommodating. Nice little cafe next door on left when you walk out for breakfast.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

What a nice surprise this hotel turned out to be! It is nestled in a great neighborhood and easy access to Subway, shops and restaurants. The room is larger than I anticipated and the staff is very helpful and friendly. Would definitely stay here again!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends