“Lies over the phone! False advertising. Mold smelling rooms. NO FREG!”

Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast
Ranked #117 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
“Lies over the phone! False advertising. Mold smelling rooms. NO FREG!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Never again! A waste of money. False adverting. Like the color in the rooms but other than that, everything else is not even close to coming up to par! False advertising for one, about a indoor pool! Lies over the phone about what they have. I give it ZERO stars!Called the hotel and they told us there have hot fresh cookies up at front desk for the young guest ( witch was a big fat lie).None of my rooms had a freg so their goes my kids leftovers that I paid a pretty penny for(never seen a hotel ,now a days, without a freg. Go figure!). My rooms smelled like mold that's been sitting there for years. I waited a very long time before two workers showed up to finish whatever it was they were doing until I said "hello, is anyone working the front desk, my four kids are ready for our rooms). This place sucked!!!! Never again!!!!!! Do not stay here!!!!

• Stayed May 2014
Destini W, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Thank you for staying and sharing your experience with us. I regret that we were not able to meet your expectations. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced caused by the room accommodations and level of customer service received.

We are researching which site has information listed regarding a pool and we sincerely apologize for this issue. We have never had a pool and would have been happy to assist you in finding one close by or in making alternative accommodations for you and your family. Our main priority is to ensure our guest are delighted by our hotel and I am sorry we failed to delight you.

We take comments such as these very seriously and will take action to ensure future incidents such as this do not happen in the future.

Thanks again for sharing your valuable feedback.

Destini

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Thai first
West Palm Beach, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel was recommended to me by hotels.com! Based on 99% approval, which must be fake!
The carpet smells like dirty socks, the bathroom had mold in the vent, no fridge, small pillows made for toddlers. I woke up with the worst neck pain and headache and my allergies where killing me. No bar, bad customer service, fake ratings. Stay away!

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Brian586
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Brian586,

We take comments such as these very seriously and would like to follow up with you. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Faith R
Case Manager
IHGCare
Powell, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

As a frequent business traveler to Chicago, in the past, I would usually stay at some other big name hotels in the City. Most were extremely over priced! A fellow university alum that lives in the area turned me on to this property. I must say that for the last 2 years, this is the only hotel that I have stayed in. The staff (especially Rhonda) is first rate and they go out of their way to accommodate all of my needs and wants. The hotel is strategically located on the Gold Coast in walking distance to many places for dining and hanging out. I LOVE THIS HOTEL!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Minneapolis
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

It's been a couple of years since I last stayed here. After a lengthy wait to check in, I remembered why I haven't made this a "go to" place when I visit the city.

This hotel is somewhat hidden on the gold coast...which is nice if you want to hit the bars and restaurants, but can be a little challenging to get to (note: Red line: Clark/Division stop on the 'L'.)

For what reason, I don't know, they had only one clerk on staff with over 5 guests waiting to check in. Finally someone else showed up and we are able to move forward with getting our rooms. I was advised that I was "upgraded" since I was a Priority Club member...a little disappointing to get to the room only to look out the window and see I was facing another window to another guest. The windows were filthy, so I guess there was no reason to think either one of us could see each other.

And then I started to notice how these rooms haven't been updated or refreshed in years. Indigo is suppose to be the Holiday Inn "IT" brand; instead it is starting to look like old Holiday Inn's before they mandated they be upgraded. The same schlocky wallpaper is on the walls with the bizarre images with the same paint white wash as before. The vinyl floor is coming apart. The bathroom caulking is peeling away. Cobwebs throughout the room. And, I DO agree with the others, you can hear a lot from the other rooms. Good thing you can keep the fan running all night to create some white noise to drown it out.

Prices are Gold Coast in the hotel ($9 for a glass of house wine??? $13 for a sandwich???) Much better options are down the street. Walgreen's, CVS and a Jewel and 3 minutes away if you need anything. And, of course, more restaurants with every type of food within minutes of the hotel.

The breakfast was fair. Seriously...no fresh fruit? You have to serve it out of a can?

Am I being picky? Not really. This is a Gold Coast hotel charging Gold Coast Prices. The value should be there. Granted, you are minutes from Rush and Division streets with all of the great restaurants and bars. I guess if this stuff doesn't matter to you, then this place will do. For me, I'd rather spend the extra money and be a place that has reinvested in itself to keep updated.

Room Tip: Not too many options here.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Backstreets1250,

Thank you for staying with us and for writing a detailed review about our property. I'm sorry you were not 100% satisfied with your room conditions. Your comments about the food selections have been taken note of and will be forwarded to the appropriate department for further review. Feedback from valued guests like you are highly appreciated as this is our best resource for improving our service and achieving superior guest satisfaction.

We hope for another opportunity in serving you again the next time you are in the Gold Coast area.

Tracy V.
Case Manager
IHGCare
houston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

Delightful boutique type hotel. Friendly and well located. Room was small but very nice. Small bathroom with european style shower was adequate. Lively beach decor and comfortable lobby. We also noticed the smell in the elevators and lobby. Would stay here again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tom V
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I would definitely stay here again. This hotel is perfectly situated close to restaurants, Starbucks, Metro, and the lake. I was there for 3 nights in March 2014. Unlike some other reviewers we never heard our neighbors and things were very quiet even though a convention had booked most of the other rooms. We ate breakfast the 2nd morning and got a lot for our money, though it is expensive compared to San Antonio :-) After we returned to our room in the late afternoon we would walk around the neighborhood to see all the cool architecture and found a Frank Lloyd Wright house a couple blocks away. The decor is wonderful and fun, in fact that is one reason i booked here. The bathroom is small and without a tub, but we two ladies were fine with that. The room was clean, the beds perfect! Enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: we booked a "2 queen beds" room and i think it is larger than some others.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank sweetm
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

The great things were the service, the restaurant and the quiet pretty north are of the city.
The bad things that need improvement are the fact that you am hear the people in the room next to you perfectly if there is a door between. You can actually see light coming through under the door.the shower heads are not powerful.
The hotel is nice and has a key west feel.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank GreekScubaGirl
Destini W, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Thank you for choosing our Hotel Indigo and for taking the time to share your comments. It is our goal to provide superior service and accommodations and we are delighted you listed our service among one of the great things about our hotel. We do however, apologize that you experienced noise disturbances. We do share our guest feedback with our Owners in an effort to target problem areas and taken necessary action to ensure we move towards correcting these issues so that they can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback and welcome the opportunity to improve.

Once again, thank you for choosing our hotel and for sharing your feedback. We hope you'll try out our other Hotel Indigo locations, we have new hotels opening this year and many other GREAT locations.

All the best,