“Nice hotel, great location”

Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast
Ranked #122 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
London
“Nice hotel, great location”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights at the start of June. The city was really busy and I booked this hotel because it had rooms available. Turns out I was really lucky as the hotel had a good atmosphere, the rooms were good, the aircon worked, the bathroom was nice and the bed really comfortable. It was a very short walk to the metro, and also to a great choice of restaurants and a little further to the main shopping streets. I'd stay here again because although it had some minor decorating issues it was way better than a soulless downtown big chain hotel.

Also, I got there pretty early (1.30pm) and was checked into my room immediately.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Thai first
Antioch, Illinois
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Thank you alma for all your help! We greatly appreciate all you did for us in finding a room and helping us when I made a reservation mistake , the room was so cute and the beds are so comfortable, but the best is the location, near everything, we walked to handcock, the beach, the concert at wrigley , thank you so much

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This hotel is super cute. Upon checking in, the lobby is a relaxing blue color with beach themed furniture. There is a bar and restaurant on-site, but I did not visit either. The Wifi was good and FREE, always a good thing! It reached both my room on the 8th floor and the gym. The rooms were a bit on the smaller side, but not bad. The unique beach theme was also in the rooms. My room was clean and had faux wood flooring. I liked that there wasn't carpeting, it felt a bit cleaner. The bed was big and comfortable. The bathroom was also a bit small. The shower curtain could have been a bit longer, which led to a lot of water spilling out on the bathroom floor. I used the gym a few times. I would have preferred more selections for the machines, but made do.
The location of the hotel was perfect! I was able to walk to two of the popular Chicago Pizza restaurants and they were AMAZING. I felt safe walking around the area alone. There was a starbucks just down the block, as well as a walgreens. Cabs were very easy to come by. On Saturday there was a Farmers market on the corner which was nice. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I've written three reviews of hotels in my entire life, most of which were to voice my displeasure with my experience. This review will be different, as I had the best customer experience ever at the Indigo. I travel frequently and am a platinum member with IHG for the last 5 years. Upon arriving my room was not ready and Alma was able to recommend a superb brunch at the Hashhouse (awesome and filling). After returning from lunch, my room was not quite ready so Alma upgraded me to a suite and opened up the bar early to accommodate my wait. She kept up a great conversation, served a mean drink, and made me feel like I was the most important guest in the hotel. I informed her that I had just taken a new job in Chicago and that I would be traveling back frequently. I am due back this Tuesday and was displeased to find out that all of the IHG properties were full. I called the Indigo and asked for Alma.......after a brief conversation......problem solved. I have a room at a great hotel with wonderful service and all is good. The Indigo just found its new biggest fan!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Judd W
Henderson
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Beautifully located close to Lincoln Park and a short walk to the beach. Lovely neighborhood and very close to the subway.

Staff very uncaring and hotel has seen better days. Had to wait to check in, even though asked for early check in and arrived 30 minutes early. Has 14 floors and two elevators, with only one working at a given time.

No value for your money here and come to Chicago frequently and will stay away from this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Colleen H
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Colleen H,

However, we’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding customer service. We will look into this concern. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Usually i stay at Kimpton Hotels but last minute I decided to give InterContinental Hotels Group a chance. The hotel itself is in a beautiful Chicago location, very close to many attractions and downtown. The hotel inside was not excellent but not bad either. The rooms were colorful and spacious but they definitely needed some TLC, i had a few maintance problems with the shower and AC unit but nothing major to regret my stay. Housekeeping staff is on point with service, rooms are clean as they should be. The staff at the indigo is friendly,welcoming and very communicative, Chelsea and Deena at checkout were the most fun they had me coming back for the cookies and tootsie rolls. I will be back (mainly for the cookies and tootsie rolls).

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank MisterRios
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

We spent an enjoyable few days at this hotel sightseeing in Chicago. The location is slightly away from the city centre yet only 15 mins walk to places like oak street beach, Lincoln Park and the Mag Mile. It means it's quieter with more"local"style restaurants nearby like Marios and a few other places including Eduardos next door which has outdoor seating. There's also a Starbucks with outdoor seats just steps away. There are shops like walgreens there too. It was a couple of blocks from Clark/Division subway so for $5each we got the train to O'Hare (change lines at washington or Jackson) rather than the $55 quoted by the hotel for a taxi. The room was clean and comfortable with a large comfortable bed, plenty of hangers in the closet and best of all, Aveda toiletries replaced in the bathroom each day. The only gripe we had was the air con was rather noisy. Otherwise, the Internet worked well, staff were pleasant and the area felt safe, so we enjoyed our stay. We didn't eat or drink in the hotel as other places looked more authentic.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple