“Clean, but there were a few slip-ups”

Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast
Ranked #122 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Saint Augustine, Florida, United States
“Clean, but there were a few slip-ups”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I stayed here with my family for a vacation in Chicago. The rooms were clean, we had a great view, and the staff was polite, for the most part.

There were a couple problems, though. The smell in the lobby and elevators was incredibly disturbing. It smelled like a port-o-potty the entire time we were on vacation. As I understand it, there were some issues with the water/sewer system, but in the 5 days we were in town, the smell did not go away. It did not smell in our rooms, luckily, but every time we left or came in for the night we were met with that terrible smell.

Second, and this might have been a misunderstanding on my part, but one of the front desk clerks was fairly rude and snarky. I did not catch her name, but she had long black hair and had an accent. I went to her for a new remote because ours did not work. I waited for her to look up at me from her computer, but she did not, she just bluntly asked what I wanted. When I told her she then spoke VERY loudly into a walkie talkie about my room number needing a new remote. This would not have bothered me if I was not a young female, and if the lobby was not full of people. I do not want random people knowing what room number I am in. Not only that, but I stood there for about 3 or 4 minutes and she didn't look at me or speak to me, she just continuously shouted my room number and my remote issue into the walkie talkie waiting for someone to answer. Then without looking up from her computer, she shooed me back to my room, like I was a 5 year old and I was in trouble for something.

Again, this could have been a misunderstanding on my part, as she was probably busy and didn't want to be bothered about a remote; but it was just rude, not very good customer service, and it ruined my night.

Other than that, we did not have any issues with the hotel, and we had an excellent stay. We will be returning, as long as the smell is gone.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kari C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Thai first
Cincinnati
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I knew Hotel Indigo was going to be close to the lake and the Magnificent Mile, but I really didn't know how great the location was going to be. We were less than half a block from Division Street, Rush Street, etc. which I didn't realize was an absolute hub for fantastic little bars, restaurants, and all kinds of entertainment. We were just a couple blocks from the Natural History Museum, the Lincoln Park Zoo (if that's your cup of tea), great shopping, lots of culture. Loyola, Northwestern, Navy Pier - you name it, you can walk to it from this hotel. It's situated in the cutest little neighborhood in downtown Chicago, full of beautiful old homes with the kind of architecture you just don't see anymore. I enjoyed every stroll to and from our hotel, just admiring the various buildings along the way. We walked everywhere. On Saturday morning, we ate breakfast at the hotel ($40 for two people, not too bad, but not too reasonable either - try 3rd Coast a couple doors down instead). As soon as we walked outside, we saw that this great little farmer's market had sprung up all along Division Street. We definitely would have gotten breakfast there had we seen that first. Lots of vendors selling and cooking fresh food, it was great! The flowers for sale were absolutely stunning. I didn't even know what half of them were. Very beautiful and different! This happens every Saturday, so wake up early and get outside!

The hotel itself is pretty cute. The beach theme was refreshing. The staff at the front desk was very friendly and helpful and gave us a very positive impression of the hotel. My husband travels a lot for business and he thought the workout equipment in the gym was nice for a hotel, especially one of this size.

The hotel's best feature had to be the fact that we could see the lake from our bed in room 1002! That's how close we were. The room was nice but a little strange. The floors were laminate designed to look like hardwood. I thought it was a little cheesier than actual hardwood, but LOVED that there was no carpet anywhere in the room, which was very clean. The decor is beachy and upbeat. There was no fan in the bathroom so water just sits, which inevitably leads to mold growth (which we found a little bit of on the walls and ceiling). There was no refrigerator so we had to go to the ice machine a few times a day and we couldn't bring any dinner leftovers back to the hotel with us. There were also no drawers anywhere in the room. This was particularly perplexing. There was a wide night stand, a full desk with two chairs, a stand for the TV, an armchair with an ottoman, a big bench, a beautiful bathroom vanity, a huge armoire, and a bar for coffee and tea - basically, there was a ton of random furniture that could have accommodated a drawer or two - but there was not a single drawer anywhere in the room. So we hung up what we could and had to leave our suitcases out to house the rest of our things. That didn't leave a whole lot of room to get around, but it worked for us. The rooms are bigger than they look in the photos here on TripAdvisor.

One thing I would caution travelers about would be the parking rate, which is at least $45/day whether you valet it or find somewhere to stash it yourself. We were fully aware of how much it costs to park in downtown Chicago, but this may come as a shock to others.

Overall, we had a nice stay here. I would come again for the location alone!

Room Tip: Room 1002 has a partial lake view.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Flint, Michigan
Reviewed 2 August 2014

This little nugget of gold on the Gold Coast is worth checking out. The lobby is tastefully decorated giving you the "Miami Beach" effect with the colors and lighting. The staff was very professional and courteous. Hotel is walking distance to shopping, Hancock Tower, transportation lines, and only 3 blocks from great beaches. We had the package with breakfast included. Hassan was our waiter in the restaurant. He was FANTASTIC! If you watch him, you will see him somehow managing all the tables and running the shift as his corner of the world. You can tell he not only does his job well, but takes much pride in his work.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Wichita
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Great hotel for the price and within walking distance to downtown Chicago. We walked everywhere within 15 minutes.

Hotel looks great on the inside and outside. Very clean. Staff very helpful and referred us to a real Chicago pizza place.

Rooms are typical NYC small rooms but more than ample for a couple nights stay. Very modern finishings.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

I just wrapped up another trip to Chicago and the second time staying with Hotel Indigo. This is a moderately priced hotel in the Gold Coast neighborhood very close to excellent dining and shopping. Michigan avenue is in walking distance or short taxi depending on your destination. Be prepared for the possibility of a small room and tiny bathroom which was the case on our recent visit. But, this is what one would expect in a moderately-priced hotel. It is clean and beds are comfortable. Personnel very friendly. The stream of water from the shower was very weak and the toilet made weird, temporary gulping sounds when flushed. Rather amusing. One just needs to over look these things unless you want to spend hundreds more staying at upscale hotels - which I have on many occasions.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2014

They need a lesson on the meaning of thebword "hospitality".
For all the staff at this hotel...specially the front desk staff...all rules are written in stone. They do not do anything to accomodate even the smallest of guest requests.
They had rooms available but would not check me in before their stipulated 4 pm check in time even though i had been waiting in the lobby for a room since 9 am!
Their rule says 4 pm and so 4 pm it is.

They informed me they had rooms but would not allow me to check in till check in time.

Very dissappointed. Wont be staying here again.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank SuryaRooster
Alma S, Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear SuryaRooster,

It seems as if your experience fell far short of the service we aim to provide here at Hotel Indigo Chicago Gold Coast and we apologize about that. I was certainly concerned when I read about your experience and I can assure you the service levels described is not at all indicative of the high service levels of our brand.

As you might imagine, I am extremely disappointed that we did not come anywhere close to your expectations and it is never our intentions to have a guest wait longer than expected for a room. Here at Hotel Indigo Chicago Gold Coast, we have a policy to ask a guest for a contact phone number so that we can reach out as soon as the guest’s room is available.

Our focus is to make our guests feel at home while providing a high standard of service. Again, I apologize as the summer months have been very busy for us as we were not able to accommodate an early check in. I shall certainly communicate this with the team in order to avoid situations like this in the future.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your review with us.
Alma Sabanovic
Guest Services Manager
Nashville, United States
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Location is prime; very convenient and is within walking distance to the metro system. The area is very safe. Front desk staff is very tentative and is willing to help. Special shout to D'Andre for hand-drawing a map when we requested directions. Service at the bar can be hit and miss, depending on the day.

The hotel itself is very outdated, and does not live up to the standard of the Indigo brand.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Lance S,

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your kind words regarding our front desk. It is lovely to hear you find our location convenient. However, we regret letting you down on some aspects of your stay. Please be assured that your comments will forwarded to our management team for review. We are confident the necessary steps will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Again, thank you for your time and for staying with us.

Connie D