“I have never ever been treated so well or felt so unique!”

Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast
Ranked #118 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Toronto, Canada
“I have never ever been treated so well or felt so unique!”
Reviewed 2 April 2009

It's taken me ages to write this review...for no good reason other than a tendency to get distracted!
I stayed in this hotel in December while I was attending the RSNA conference. Each year thousands of radiologists descend on Chicago and take over most of the hotel beds making it a very busy time for everyone. I was placed in Hotel Indigo but the organisers and was a little concerned after reading the previous reviews. I e-mailed the hotel before I arrived to request a fridge (thanks to tips from previous reviewers) and was pleasantly surprised by the quick and friendly response from the manager, Seán.
On arrival I was met by a friendly doorman who carried my bags inside. Check-in was effortless (and sweet thanks to the candy bowl) and I was given a room on the 12th floor. Reception was small but welcoming-a very laid-back, beachy feeling in snowy Chicago!
My room was small, but I was on my own so that wasn't a huge issue. No fridge so I rang down and had one in my room in under 5 minutes. Everything in the room was completely spotless. Big TV with cable channels, free WiFi and a coffee maker. Alarm clock is a nice touch. The bathroom was small but immaculately clean and stocked with Aveda products. Bed was sooo comfy. Slept like a log each night.

Breakfast wasn't included in my room rate and I just had my own anyway but there were very affordable options in the little restaurant downstairs. I did avail of their Starbucks coffee and loved the staff there. I only got coffee maybe 4 times but the staff were so friendly and remembered me. It was lovely!

The onsite gym is open all day and accessible by keycard. It's small with 2 treadmills, bike, elliptical, stepper, weight machines and free weights. The equipment is in good order however and they have pretty much everything you could want-including kettlebells, Bosus and extensive free weights. Loved it! Potential temptation lay in the snack machines just outside the door ;-) Didn't use the hairdressers or spa but it looked clean and friendly. There was also a business centre downstairs with 2 computers and printing facilities. Very handy for online flight check-in!

I was allowed to get a package delivered to the hotel which was extremely handy. I was also completely overwhelmed by the helpful attitude of one of the reception staff. I have unfortunately forgotten her name, but believe she was from the Czech republic. She went above and beyond the call of duty to help my fax details when I was trying to order a digital camera and helped me with problems with the order. When I was leaving she gave me a photo album to use with the new camera. Apparently the hotel has a little fund for such little gifts. I have never ever been treated so well or had such a good experience and I have stayed in many hotels and guesthouses.
I was upset leaving because everyone was so sweet from the doormen to reception to the guy on the early coffee shift...

Location is great, only a few minutes from Michigan Avenue and within a few blocks of Whole Foods and a Dominick's. Starbucks and Walgreens are on the corner and the Ambassador East hotel is on the next block.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. It is exactly what I'd want from a boutique hotel-cosy, quirky, homely...and above all, outstanding and personal customer service.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank GráinneM
HotelIndigoChicago, Hotel Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this review, 10 April 2009
Greetings,

We sincerely thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us. Your feedback is most certainly appreciated and we can assure you we will share it with our staff as we are most happy when we are able to recognize our terrific team here for contributing to a fantastic guest experience. Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you again in Chicago soon!

Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Thai first
Vermilion, Ohio
Reviewed 24 February 2009

I really enjoyed Hotel Indigo in Chicago. I loved the location, close enough to walk downtown but away from all the traffic etc. There are plenty of restaurants, bars, a Starbucks, a Walgreens and a Jewel Osco within a block or so though the hotel itself is in a residential area. We were visiting a son the next street over and it was quite convenient (though the bars do let out at 4:00 am a half a block away). Our room was comfortable and quiet though rather small. The only problem we had was with the parking. Due to some unforseen circumstances, we had 2 cars in hotel parking some of the 2 nights we were there. Our parking bill was $108, as much almost as the hotel. I was charged $32 more beyond the daily charge even though my car was only in parking less than 24 hours. Parking in Chicago is expensive, yes, but shouldn't be that expensive.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank soontobeforty
HotelIndigoChicago, Hotel Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this review, 26 February 2009
Greetings, and thank you for your comments. We are certainly happy you enjoyed your stay with us and your feedback is appreciated.

Although we do have our standard rooms which are petite in size, and can be considered typical of an urban, boutique hotel, we do also offer more spacious rooms that include activity tables and sitting areas. Because of the location and size of these rooms, they are typically high in demand and reserved far in advance, especially during weekends.

Parking, which is handled next door at the independently owned and operated Standard Parking garage, unfortunately is a bit pricey even with the discount they extend to our guests for 24 hour parking with complimentary In and Out priveleges. Although their rates are highly competitive with parking in this area, extending over the 24 hour period can get expensive at their hourly rates.

Again, thank you for your feedback, and please feel free to contact us directly if you would like to discuss further or for anything else we can assist with!

Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed 21 February 2009

I stayed in this hotel with 4 other friends. Yes five us us to one room. Going into this experience I thought it was going to be hell, 5 people to one room! As it turned out it was actually really great. We had two double beds in our room and a cot. The bed I slept in was really comfortable. I loved the linens they used. Nice, crisp and comfortable. I really liked the decor. I know it's not everyone's taste but I do like more a modern theme. The television was a normal size and not a flat screen which I thought was weird given the nice modern theme. I have to say my favorite part about this room was the bathroom. I really like how it was designed with kind of like an open shower. It did not have a bath tub just the shower, which was fine with me. And finally it had free wifi! Which, being a tech professional I really appreciate! I hate when hotels want to charge for internet access. So overall great experience. I did think it was kind of pricy but given it's location in Chicago, you'll have that.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank RedStateRyan
Thank you for your comments, they are certainly appreciated. Please be assured they will be shared with our staff as we welcome all feedback and want to make every effort to make every stay as pleasurable as possible for our guests. We hope to see you again soon!

Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown
Middleville, Michigan
Reviewed 26 January 2009

This hotel was booked using rewards points. However, it was expressed by the person I travelled with that the amount of points it cost seemed a bit excessive, but it was a Friday night and a very last minute booking. We were just grateful for a nice (and very clean) place to stay.

Upon arrival we were standing 2nd in line for check in. The person at the desk called for help and we were quickly attended to. Within 5 minutes we arrived at our room. The crisp blue themed decor was very nice (though not my personal taste) and the amenities were ample. This theme was carried out through the hotel and was a nice visual change to the normal beige scene.

The room size was above average, however, the set up for the king room was slightly odd. The tv was a traditional 32 inch and the bed was on the far side of the room. Even with my glasses, I sometimes had a difficult time making everything out.

The bathroom was large, the Aveda bath products were appreciated, and the linens were very nice for a hotel.

The bed itself was well appointed with very nice linens.

My only complaint was the heating/cooling system. No matter how much we messed with it, the room was either freezing or steamy. Even when it was turned off, it kicked on periodically and was extremely loud (to the point of needing to adjust the tv volume). There was a thermostat on the wall, but it was disconnected and we could not get it to work.

Unfortunately, the temperature issue turned an above average stay into just average.

• Liked — Very nice location near Rush Street eateries and clubs.
  • Disliked — The unpredictable and inadequate heating and cooling system.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank winter-schminter
HotelIndigoChicago, Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this review, 9 February 2009
Thank you for your comments and interest in Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown. We certainly appreciate the time taken to provide our staff with feedback that will enable us to address the issues you mention, as well as continuing to provide services and amenities that exceed your expectations.

Please do not hesitate to contact us directly as we look forward to welcoming you back!

Kindest Regards,
Richmond, VA
Reviewed 28 December 2008

My daughter and I spent two nights at this very pretty hotel. The weather was awful---2 degrees with strong winds--so we did not hurry out in the morning. I picked up coffee, juice, bagels, and yogurt downstairs, and we watched "Home for the Holidays" on the TV while we stayed in bed. The beds were so comfortable, the room was so bright and did not look like any other hotel room I had stayed in (big indigo prints, with bright coral walls for accents). We had fun.

• Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Lobsterroll704
Chi town
Reviewed 17 December 2008

Short business trip that became extended due to weather delays. But if I was going to get snowed in anywhere - I choose the Indigo Chicago. Staff was very helpful and concerned about me getting home. Hotel was very clean and comfortable.

• Liked — Employees
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank boytoy12
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed 15 December 2008

Cute rooms with fantastic comfy beds. Very, very clean. But...during my stay I was told that they do not do check in prior to 4pm, then they shoo you out by noon the next day. Several non essential, but wish they had worked, things were not working in my room (like, remote, in room movie menu option, thermostat), that made the price a little hard to swallow. Seems like the rooms are not checked regularly. Maid service was very, very loud and very, very early, which, again, considering the price was annoying. Front desk was not particularly helpful or friendly.

• Liked — close to Red Line and Gold Coast nightlife
  • Disliked — Unfriendly staff, late check in + early checkout
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled solo