Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast
  • Pool
The Talbott Hotel(Chicago)
  • Fitness centre
1,321 results
All reviewsclark divisionaveda productsquiet neighborhoodgreat neighborhoodwithin walking distancelincoln parkbars and restaurantsrooms are smallsitting areachicago downtownking bedhotel is in a great locationmichigan avenueparking garagepublic transportationthe loopmag mile
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 December 2009

I surprised my partner with a Christmas getaway to Chicago and wanted a nice hotel that was not "mainstream", but included all of the amenities. The Indigo fits the bill. I had not stayed here before, but would definitely stay again. The hotel is very neat with a "boutique/spa"atmosphere and very cool colors throughout. The rooms have unique furnishings and include I was pleasantly surprised that each room has a Keurig for the Keurig junkies like me. Free internet, Aveda toiletries top off the nicely equipped rooms. We spent the entire Christmas holiday and felt like that we were in a small hotel, although we were not. The pizza place just down the street has "excellent" pizza and the Red Line is just past the Starbucks.....what a GREAT Christmas!!! We definitely will be back!!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
HotelIndigoChicago, Hotel Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2010

Greetings,

Thank you for your comments, we are certainly glad you enjoyed your Christmas with us! Please let us know when you will be back in the Gold Coast as we are looking forward to welcoming you back!

Have a wonderful 2010!

Reviewed 22 December 2009

My friends and I booked this room through Hotwire and got a really good rate. It seemed like a cute, fun place for a girls' weekend. We were in town to catch some Blackhawks games and do some sightseeing.

I arrived early and asked to check my suitcase, but they let me check in. I thought it was a little strange since the reservation was in my friend's name, but at the time, it made life easier on me, so I didn't care very much. Nor did I think anything of it when they asked for a card for incidentals. I asked what that meant, and I was told it was for things like room service. This came back to bite me. No one was there to grab the door or offer to take my bags, which was a little surprising at a hotel with this sort of rating. Everywhere else I've stayed in Chicago (Intercontinental, Hilton Chicago, Hotel 71) had at least one great doorman.

I later found they hold $50 for each night of your stay, which can be a big problem if you're on a budget and/or using a debit card, like myself. When I checked my account and saw this $100 hold I wasn't expecting, I called to the desk to inquire what was going on. The girl on the other end was extremely rude and told me how there was a GIANT sign at the desk I should've read and that it's not their problem I didn't, and how I should be happy they did me a favor and only charged $50 for two of the three nights. Folks, I read everything I see. I even read the fine-print on the check-in paperwork to decline the 75-cent/day fee for the newspaper we wouldn't read. I saw no sign. When I next went down, I made a point to find the "giant" sign - a 4x6 piece of paper in a frame hiding behind a massive bowl of hard candy on the opposite side of the round desk where I checked in. I don't call that "giant." As my friend said, it's horrible customer service not to tell someone you're going to hold that much money. That particular staff member really left a bad taste in our mouths.

At check-out, the people were much friendlier, offering to get us a cab (which we didn't need, but thanks), handed out coupons for Macy's and the 900 Shops, and got the door as we left. Thing is, coupons would've been better at the start of the stay when we had time left to go shopping and no one helped with any bags or doors when we arrived and were exhausted. Nice now, but it would've been nicer to have the service for the whole stay. One highlight was a staff member bringing up delivery menus for us late at night when we were hungry.

The rooms aren't exactly small, their problem is way too much furniture. Two beds, a table with two chairs, an armchair and ottoman, bench, tv/coffeemaker table, nightstand, lamp table, side table, and a breakfast tray thing... and no space or dresser with drawers. Three girls need a place to put their stuff, and there just wasn't any room. We couldn't unpack anything, and we had to stack our suitcases in the closet then drag them out every morning. The bathroom is pretty tiny, and the shower curtain was too short, so the floor got wet each time we showered. There were some housekeeping issues that we couldn't stop laughing about, mainly the insanely dusty wall and the duvet with the cigarette burn on it that the maid didn't even bother to try and hide by folding it differently... after we left the card out asking for all the linens to be changed. I don't know if they're going for the "shabby chic" look or what, but the wood furnishings are looking pretty worm and busted.

One bright spot is definitely the location. The hotel is on a residential street around the corner from a Red line stop. There is a 24-hour Walgreens at the corner, a Starbucks across the street, a couple of restaurants (try the barbecue chicken pizza at Eduardo's), and a cool "dive" bar called Mother's across from the Walgreens (where were saw a laughably horrible Led Zeppelin tribute).

As internet-addicts, my friends and I were happy to see they offer free wireless internet. We were able to handle all of our online business from the comfort of our laptops and not in some uncomfortable "business center" room. That said, we did need to use their center, which is nothing more than two computers at a table with a printer, to print out some last-minute tickets. Printer was handy, but we had to mess with the computers to get one to go online, and then again to get it set up to the correct printer. I'm not sure if those issues were due to the staff not setting things up right, or if another customer had messed them up. Thankfully, we were computer-savvy.

Overall, it's not a terrible hotel, but it's not a place I'd seek out again. One horrible staff member is all it takes to turn my friends and I off of a place, and the less-than-helpful desk lady certainly did it. For the price we paid, even with Hotwire, we can find somewhere else for next time.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank PageyMoon
Reviewed 11 December 2009

My father and I stayed at this hotel in room 303 from December 8, 2009 to December 10, 2009. We were only in town for two days of sightseeing and to see a hockey game. I was very impressed with the accommodations and would highly recommend the hotel. I purchased a package deal on Expedia which included roundtrip airfare from New York, two nights, fees, and taxes for $625.00 total. I’m guessing I paid about $80.00 a night.

Hotels in Chicago can be very pricey. However, if you’re willing to stay just north of downtown, this is a good choice for you. The hotel is located just a three-minute walk from the Division/Clark red line train stop and a short walk to Michigan Avenue. The neighborhood seemed very safe with lots of restaurants and a Walgreens right down the street. To save money you can take the blue line train from O’Hare Airport to Division and take the 70 Bus to Division and Clark, all for about $2.00. If the weather is cold or rainy, take blue line to Jackson, transfer to the red line, and take the train heading towards Howard. Get off at Clark/Division. We bought a three-day CTA pass for $14.00 and went everywhere on the buses and trains, including both airport trips.

The room was spacious and very clean. The television had a large selection of channels and two phones. The bed was very comfortable with nice pillows. The sheets were of a high quality. There was plenty of closet space and a large table to dine at. A negative to report about the room is that the toilet and shower were on the small side. The sink was outside the toilet/shower area so that was a plus. The water pressure in the shower was very strong and the water was nice and hot. There were plenty of towels and a hair dryer was provided. The complimentary soaps and shampoos were of a high quality. Maid service was very good. I enjoyed the blue color theme of the room. They had a decent alarm clock radio, not the cheap ones you might buy at 99-cent store. The room was not in a noisy area so you’ll be able to sleep well.

The staff of the hotel was very friendly and helpful. Even if we had zero interaction with a particular employee, they still said hello and good-bye. I was very pleased to see that they provided two free internet stations 24 hours a day. We had some of their breakfast and it was pretty good. The dining area had very nice furniture to lounge on. They even microwaved some food we had from the night before.

Overall, if you’re looking to save money and want a good quality hotel stay, this is the hotel for you. You can pay 3-4 times as much staying at a Hilton or Sheraton in The Loop area, but a 5-minute train ride to the north side of Chicago will get you the same quality room for much less. Leave your car at home because parking can be very expensive and you can take the subways and buses anywhere. I would definitely stay here again.

Marc T. Hardekopf

• Stayed: December 2009
Reviewed 26 November 2009

Located on a quiet, residential street in the Gold Coast, the Hotel Indigo was always a pleasure to return to during our four night stay in a hectic city.

The room was very peaceful with a soothing decor of wicker furniture and murals of shells. A bit small but there was a place for everything. And the room was very quiet -- no noise from the hallway or from the outside.

The hotel is also a good place if you are travelling with a dog. A dog park is only one block away and Lake Michigan with its boardwalk is only four blocks away. Restaurants are close and it is also only a short walk to shopping on Michigan Avenue.

If you are looking for a small hotel in a quiet area versus a large hotel more central to downtown, the Hotel Indigo should be just right. And the door man always greeted us with a smile!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 October 2009

I'd go back in a heartbeat! I took my daughter on a 15th birthday trip, just the two of us. We stayed at the Hotel Indigo, which reminded her of her favorite book, "Alice In Wonderland" as the chairs were oversized and the colors all bright blues and greens. The room was a bit small, but the service was great and the ambiance fun and friendly. Great location, with a great little cafe right down the street.

Stayed: June 2006
HotelIndigoChicago, Hotel Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2009

Thank you for your post, we certainly appreciate your comments and are delighted that you and your daughter enjoyed your time with us during her birthday! Here's to a great year, we hope to see you and her back next year for her Sweet 16!