“Chicago Gem”

Warwick Allerton-Chicago
Ranked #107 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 15 July 2014

The birth of our first Grandchild was a month early, so after a hectic drive to Chicago we were lucky to get a room at the Warwick. Located just a few blocks from the hospital, it was an extremely convenient location. Right on Michigan Ave. was a huge bonus! We have stayed in several hotels in this area and the Warwick has been moved to the top of the list for convenience of location and outstanding service. We'll definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: upper floors have great views
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
GM-Warwick-Allerton, Manager at Warwick Allerton-Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

SamJan1972,

Congratulations on the birth of your 1st grandchild. It was our pleasure to be part of your life memory and we hope to see you again soon.

Warwick Allerton Hotel Chicago

Write a ReviewReviews (1,791)

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We chose this hotel when a Groupon was offered since it was in our desired location. We didn't have high expectations because of the great price. What a wonderful surprise! The room was completely quiet even though we were between the elevator and Michigan Avenue! The room was very spacious and well appointed. I have a new favorite Chicago hotel even without the Groupon!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DebandTom
GM-Warwick-Allerton, General Manager at Warwick Allerton-Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

DebandTom,

Thank you for your kind words. We are trilled that you not only enjoyed your trip to our beautiful city but also your stay with us.

All the best,

Reviewed 12 July 2014

The good:

- Unbeatable location: Right on the Mag Mile, all attractions, dining, shopping, etc very close by, walking distance

- Most staff are friendly (read on)

- Fairly inexpensive breakfast buffet at the hotel restaurant, although nothing special, if you don't want to waste time looking for food, would recommend.

- Free computer access and printer use in business centre!

- Nicely appointed rooms

- Excellent rain head shower and bathroom is also nice overall

- Great fitness centre with quite a bit of equipment and a cool view

- Free secure luggage storage on the day of your departure

- Nice lobby and lounge area

- Free coffee in the mornings from 6 or 7 am until 11am (read on).

The "meh":

- Some rooms are pretty small ("petite" rooms). Although not as small as some reviewers might make them seem, they are on the lower end of the spectrum. I got a free upgrade to the standard room with king bed and it was quite spacious! Be sure to ask for an upgrade!

- No coffee machines in the rooms. Seems like more and more hotels in the US are taking on this "trend"; at least there's free coffee here in the mornings (on the 2nd floor).

- The lounge and restaurant is nothing special. I would actually say that it's overpriced and the servers don't really seem to care much about you. The drinks and food aren't anything to rave about.

- Beds aren't very comfortable and the blanket and sheets looked worn

- There is a big hospital (Northwestern memorial) one block away so you will hear quite a few sirens. This didn't disturb me but maybe it would be bothersome to a light sleeper. Obviously nothing the hotel can do about it, but something to keep in mind.

- Housekeeping isn't exactly stellar. Upon my arrival there was an empty water bottle on the floor and some other garbage in the corner. I could have complained but it was late, I was tired. That garbage wasn't cleaned throughout my whole stay.

- Not a huge deal but the toilet was VERY loud and flushed for what seemed to be an eternity, it was also uncomfortably low, not letting me fully embrace the moment.

- Elevators are small, very hot (complete lack of ventilation) and were often very smelly

The bad:

- Mini fridge: as in many hotels, it is weight calibrated with pop and the like inside, so you can't use it for your own stuff and you will be charged if you take drinks out of it. Knowing the rip-off prices that hotels always charge (Allerton is no exception), I never even bothered opening the fridge so you can imagine my surprise when I get a bill for 15 some $ when checking out for 2 pops which I never touched! I called front desk and the lady (possibly the rudest employee at the hotel) was somehow trying to imply that I was lying and only after arguing with her did she agree to refund the charges.

- There is a "green program" in the hotel where for every night you don't get your room cleaned, they give you a $10 credit for the lounge, restaurant or in-room service... seems simple? Not really. They will NOT discount you $10 off your bill unless you complain to them that you never got discounted $10 from your lounge or restaurant bill when you are checking out. The employee said that this is a very common occurrence so I wonder how many people just overlooked that charge without realizing their room didn't get cleaned but an extra $10 got cleaned out of their wallet...

- Car parking: Luckily I didn't have a car here, but if you do, you'll have to pay another $60 per night for parking!!!

Overall, if you can get a good rate for this hotel I would recommend it. If you got it while bidding on Priceline (like me), don't worry, it's not bad for the price you got it for. Of course if the price for the Allerton is similar to other hotels nearby on the mag mile, I probably wouldn't recommend it because there are better options around.

Room Tip: Ask for a room upgrade! Get a higher floor for less noise and probably a better view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank YYC_WORLDWIDE

YYC_WORLDWIDE,

Thank you for sharing your comments and please accept my sincere apology for any deficiencies during your stay. Rest assured they will enable us to improve our culture of hospitality.

As I the General Manager here but a few short weeks, I can tell you that our hotel was recently purchased by Warwick Hotels International and we look forward to many improvements to our product and service in the near future.

We hope you allow us to share our true Warwick hospitality in the future.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

The price you pay and services you get are not on same page. The room that was given to us had bad plumbing.

The location on this hotel is awesome, right in middle of everything. Valet parking is also bad, takes more than 10-15 mins to get your car so call up in advance.

So overall it was a an Ok-Ok experience.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Indian_journey

Indian_journey,

Thank you for your review and our apologies for the delay in retrieving your car. We will share your comments with appropriate management of the garage.

We hope you enjoyed your visit to Chicago and stay with us again when you return.

Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Yes, there are lots of hotels and one may either save $5 here or there or perhaps have 10sq ft extra but our rooms were clean, boutique style and plenty of room. We had a King bed, and separate sitting area with a pullout. Although it had a rain shower, there was lots of pressure unlike other hotels that have nice but unhelpful features. My only complaint was there was no coffee in the room but in the same time I could make some I returned from the 2nd floor with a fine brew to start the day.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

MidlifeMike,

Thank you for sharing your experience and we hope to share our new renovations in the near future.

Kindly,

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Based on many negative reviews, I was apprehensive about staying here. Upon arrival, I loved the fact that it was across the street from Tiffany's, one or two blocks from Water Tower, two or three blocks from 900 N. Michigan, etc. What an awesome location! The hotel had a big city exciting kind of a feeling. The bellcaps were wonderful and helpful. The two lady's at the check-in couldn't have been kinder. They gave me a total of 4 different rooms to try out before deciding. I was very happy with my room, I could hear a faint siren (I was on the 10th floor) but I had ear plugs so that was not an issue for me. Other than that, it was very quiet, no door banging, or loud talking. I couldn't hear anyone else in the other rooms as well. This was truly a home away from home during a difficult time of my life. The restaurant was also very good and fresh. The elevator isn't soooo bad, yeah maybe you have to wait a little bit, but come on.......
The only negative thing I could possibly say was about the fitness center. One elliptic trainer was very strange at an angle that you couldn't do it normally. I just stuck with the treadmill. As well, most of the tv's on the machines didn't work so entertainment was at a minimum. Oh well. They also had bicycles, etc. like any fitness center. The entrance was also rather strange. You have to take the elevator up to the top floor and then walk up a flight of stairs to like an attic space. The stairs don't look so nice, but hopefully they will renovate that eventually.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank babsZuerich

babsZuerich,

Thank you for you review. We are happy to announce we will be updating the hotel in the future as we were recently purchased by Warwick International Hotels.

It will be our pleasure to have you as our guest once again.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

There was a deal on Redtag for rooms and it was in a great spot. Hadn't been to Chicago before and if I go back I will stay somewhere else. It wasn't totally horrible but there r ALOT of other hotels to choose from. Rooms r sml, had to complain twice to get the shower unplugged. Wifi only on 2nd flr.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Sonyajean77

Sonyajean77,

We are sorry to hear that your experience was less than satisfactory. We were recently purchased by the Warwick International Hotel Company and have many improvements in store for the hotel.

Please allow us to show our true hospitality in the future.