“Great location, good night's sleep”

Warwick Allerton-Chicago
Ranked #108 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

I had a one-night layover in Chicago following a long-haul flight and mainly needed to sleep. Based on TripAdvisor reviews, upon check in I requested a room "high up" to avoid traffic noise. They gave me a great little room in a corner far from the elevators. I could still hear the sirens below but not enough to keep me awake. They also gave me a code for free wifi in the room even though the sign said it was only available for free in the lobby.

The bed was awesome. Great sheets and pillows. (Then again, I was jet lagged.) The room had a quirky shape, which gave it character compared to most modern hotels with a bunch of square rooms lined up along straight, narrow hallways.

The location right off Michigan Ave makes it convenient to restaurants, shopping and public transport. I took the blue line and red line from the airport and walked a few blocks to the hotel. It was a much longer train ride from the airport than I expected, but you can't beat the price! (Not sure I would do that with luggage again, though.)

My one complaint about the hotel was that it did not have in-room coffee. Free coffee was available in the lobby instead. I would have preferred to relax in my room for a while with coffee, but instead I just got dressed and headed out for a sit-down breakfast.

The staff accidentally booked my airport shuttle for the wrong day but they quickly got it fixed and I made it to the airport just fine. (Heads up - the airport shuttle they book only takes cash! Be prepared!)

The staff was consistently courteous and helpful. I would stay there again.

Stayed: July 2014
Colette k, General Manager at Warwick Allerton-Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Amy B,

I am pleased to hear we were able to assist you during your layover. We agree that our historical landmark hotel is unique and carries great charm.

We hope to see you again should you pass thru Chicago.

Louis Van Huesden
Vice President/General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,791)

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I booked pre-paid through priceline and I was wary because of other online reviews, but I absolutely and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. By far, bar none, from the moment I stepped out my my cab to when I went to the airport every single person there went out of their way to help me, be kind and friendly, and truly exemplified the meaning of the word "guest." Every request was accomodated with generosity, and every tip was taken as if not expected or anticipated, but truly appreciated. I felt so comfortable and welcome. When I told them I needed a room with a couch and seating area, they upgraded me to a small suite for 25/nite. I stayed on the 7th floor, and occasionally I would hear sirens, but when I went to bed, I would turn on my white noise with my small portable blue tooth speaker I always travel with, and I heard nothing. The location absoluely cannot be beaten. You are 4 blocks east of a whole foods, 3 blocks from water tower, a block from the Northwestern medical campus, and a nice walk to museums. The rooms are small, but well laid out, and after walking and biking all day, I appreciated the cozy secluded atmosphere. It is not a sleek modern hotel! I requested a fridge, I got one, I wanted more towels, there they were. Wanted a room upgrade, got one. The wifi is expensive, but I always travel with a hotspot and LTE enabled devices, so it wasnt a big deal. The porters were great for all taxi requests, and directions. I had a second week coming, pre-paid and booked, and my son had to leave camp because of a health emergency. I had travel insurance, and was going to file a claim, but the hotel generously refunded, even though they didn't have to without the claim. The service and care at this hotel was impeccible, from beginning to end. My only suggestion for improvement is Coffee makers in the room, please!!! The lobby coffee was great, but I really prefer to have my coffee before I greet the public! I would stay here again in a heart beat.

Room Tip: Ask for what you want, if they have it, they will give it, it may cost a little, but last time I che...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Hippocampi

Hippocampi,

Thank you for sharing your experience and we hope to have you as our guest again soon.

Regards,

Louis Van Huesden

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Good points:
Perfectly situated in the downtown area, the big name shops and malls are within walking distance of the hotel; oak street beach is also only a ten minute walk. The room wasn't massive, but plenty big enough and the bed and pillows made for a good night's sleep. The service was also really good - they even managed to loan me a pair of scissors to wrap a friend's gift when I asked.

Down sides
- a terrible breakfast buffet (only 4 hot items included at almost $20)
- intermittent Internet pretty in the evenings
- the slowest elevators!
- no kettle/mini bar in my room

Room Tip: Not all rooms have a mini bar or kettle so check when you book. Rooms at the back would have a view...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Blonde_in_HK,

Thank you for sharing you recent experience at our hotel. I will share your comments with our team. We are pleased to let you know that we are currently working on improving both the internet and elevators in the hotel.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you back to the Warwick Allerton Hotel Chicago.

Louis Van Heusden

Reviewed 20 July 2014

After reading the reviews on this site I was dreading staying in this hotel. It had been booked by my travel agent as part of a two week, two state stay with a cruise so I had no choice. Well all I can say is probably the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in. It was much bigger than I had expected with almost a separate sitting room, 2 large tvs and the best shower ever. We never once encountered any problems or delays with the lifts. It was in a brilliant location bang in the middle of the Magnificent Mile. I asked about internet service and was told it is normally $9.95 a day but he gave me a code which covered our entire stay. Also if you opted out of maid service they gave you a $10 credit to use in the restaurant or on room service.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank NevardA
GM-Warwick-Allerton, General Manager at Warwick Allerton-Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

larma,

Thank you for sharing your experience. It was our pleasure to have you as our guest and look forward to your return.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Location is everything and this is within easy walking distance of everywhere that a tourist in Chicago could want to be. The rooms are small but pleasant with all you need except beverages or a useable fridge (it’s one of those touch-sensitive mini-bars).

Service and amenities were pretty standard for this hotel class so the competitive advantage here is the historic building. This comes with some quirks like scattered elevators and a maze of corridors but means that everything is not as generic as it would be in a modern box chain hotel.

There are free computers and printers and a good gym. Public transport is very close and taxis are plentiful. Reception is small and sparsely staffed but we were luckily always near the front of the queue.

Room Tip: Pay more for a bigger room if you want. We had the cheapest one right next to the lift but it was st...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BadgerCT

BadgerCT,

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are very proud of our historic charm. I am pleased to let you know that we will be converting our refrigerators from mini-bars to standard refrigerators.

Regards,

Reviewed 17 July 2014

This hotel was located within walking distance of many forms of public transportation ( bus and subway) , right in the middle of the Magnificent mile .We visited in August and it was easy walk to the lakefront for the Air show. The room was a little smaller than expected but we got it at such a great price that we didn't mind. The beds were very comfortable, the pillows were a bit too thin but room was very clean.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Suhail M

Suhail M,

Happy to hear you enjoyed your visit to Chicago as well as your stay with us. We hope to see you again.

Kindly,

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We recently stayed 3 nights at this hotel. It was the perfect location for us. It is steps off the magnificent mile and we were able to walk to many tourist attractions we visited. Our room was on the 24th floor with a view of Michigan Avenue. We had a huge room with a king sized bed and the room was lovely! The staff we encountered were welcoming and accomodating. Some reviews have commented on the elevators being small and/or slow. We found them to be efficient and a reasonable size for a hotel built in the 20's. This was a beautiful hotel and I would highly recommend it to anyone. The only negative was the price of parking our car for the 3 days (60 dollars a day) and that there was no free internet in our room. We had to sit in the lobby to message our family....you can pay for internet in your room. I feel in this day and age where you can get free internet in every coffee shop you go to a hotel of this caliber could offer that anemity as well. That aside I love this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

beachbum55_10,

Thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to your future return.