“Great location, average hotel”

Warwick Allerton-Chicago
Ranked #101 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Guelph, Canada
“Great location, average hotel”
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Decent hotel and great if you get a deal (I booked through Hotwire) but this is definitely not a luxury hotel.

pros:
-clean, quiet rooms
- friendly staff
- great location

Cons:
- parking was very expensive and the parking attendants are aggressively seeking tips
- hotel itself is old and was under construction at the time

Stayed August 2013
1 Thank callmekatie
Colette k, General Manager at Warwick Allerton-Chicago, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Callmekatie,

Thank you for your response. We will share your concerns with our team and use them to help us improve our culture of hospitality in the future.

Vice President/General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed in an executive king room because we needed a sofa sleeper bed for a third person. The sleeper bed was unusable because the wiry springs were almost sticking through the very thin mattress. Although the room and bathroom were clean, the carpet was stained and needed to be re-stretched,or better, completely replaced. The bed was okay, the pillows were shredded foam, not down as would be standard in a four-star hotel, and the fitted sheet did not fit the mattress so that even when the bed was made up,a large part of the mattress showed. The furniture in the room was old,some falling apart and 70's era appearing. The bathroom was good sized, though the plastic shower base was dated and discolored. The toilet was industrial looking,with exposed piping and a long lever flush. The towels were adequate. The carpet in the hallway on our floor was very worn and stained. It also could have used a good vacuuming.

Our stay was several days and one of those days housekeeping didn't show up until 4pm when we were already back in the room to rest and freshen up for the evening. She apologized that she didn't get started until 2pm that day so they were running late. We had to skip the room cleaning that day. We ordered room service breakfast each morning and about half the time they forgot to give us the breakfast order door hanger card that you put out the night before.

On the up side,the hotel staff were super friendly and very helpful. Service was generally great.Our breakfast was delivered to our room each morning at the exact requested time by an extremely nice employee. Every staff person we encountered had a smile on their face and were always very helpful and friendly.

Although there is free coffee on the 2nd floor,available until 11am,I would have preferred having in -room coffee. There is no free wifi in the rooms.

I would certainly not rate this a 4 star hotel. It is so dated and rather unkempt and needs a complete refurbishing.

sappel54,

My apologies for your less than satisfactory visit with us.

We were recently acquired by Warwick Hotels International and have many exciting improvements planned for the hotel.

We hope we can regain your faith in the future.

Kindly,

Boston, MA
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I booked a room with a king sized bed. I arrived at the hotel at 12:30 am and opened my room to find a small, double sized bed. I immediately complained and was told the only room available was a suite. The great part is that I received a complimentary upgrade but I still did not appreciate the hotel trying to set me up in a room which was not what I reserved and did not offer any explanations. Did they give my room away because I arrived so late at night? Perhaps. Were they hoping I wouldn't complain and just stay in the smaller room? Perhaps. I went on to have a very comfortable stay. I did not use the restaurants nor conceirge services so I cannot comment on those. My room was cleaned daily in the morning so no problems there.

Room Tip: If you are arriving late, call the hotel and make sure they hold your room for you
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
JustGotBack14,

My apologies for your incorrect room type. I will forward your experience to our team so we many improve our services.

We hope you enjoyed the city and we look forward to sharing our hospitality with you again when you return.

Regards,

Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I booked this hotel on Expedia because of the price at the time. Reading some of the reviews I was hoping I made the right selection, It was in the location we wanted to stay. Well we just came home from a four night stay and we were very happy with this hotel. We took the blue line from O'hare, then the 66 Chicago bus to Michigan Ave. and walked a couple of blocks to the hotel. I was a little worried about doing that, but was easier than i thought and only cost us $12. We arrived at the hotel at 12noon and the room was not ready, which I expected so we checked in & left our luggage in lock up and went on our way. Front desk staff was very friendly.
We returned about 5 pm and checked into our room, within minutes of getting to our room the phone rang, it was the bellhop calling to see if he could come up with the luggage, he was there right away. Our room was on the 21st floor had a queen size bed, not a bad size, clean, bed was comfortable bathroom nice size could use a vanity to put make up bag and shaving kit on. It was a quiet rm at the end of the hall. There were previous reviews about the elevators, they are small however i did not find them very slow at all, I guess its all in the timing. There is coffee on the reception floor in the morning if you want, and free internet in lobby as well. We would go down for coffee and my ipad in the morning before heading out for the day.
We did not use the restaurant there but did have a drink in the lobby bar one night, staff very nice. The location of this hotel is ideal for what ever your doing, even if you have to take the train. We took the red line to Wrigley Field no problem, and walked a lot. I would stay here here again.

1 Thank chungo12
chungo12,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Warwick Allerton Hotel Chicago.

We hope to see you again soon.

Louis Van Huesden
Reading, PA
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Small old rooms--ac barely works. small slow elevators. If you stay here plan to leave your room at least 10 min earlier to wait for an elevator. Only saving grace waa location. Will never stay here again

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Kellygirl1027,

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Our historical hotel does have uniquely sized rooms and we are currently working on upgrading our elevator systems.

We hope you will return when our many scheduled improvements have been implemented.

Kindly,

Fort Smith, Arkansas
Reviewed 27 July 2014

First time staying there. Room looked fine, but very small. Bed/mattress uncomfortable and could hear elevator running, traffic noise, and hallway commotion in general. So not much sleep. Made mistake of eating breakfast first day, was terrible and felt sick until noon (eggs were the worst). Wasn't cleaned for 2 days, when called they came to clean at 9:00 p.m. No water pressure, but it's an old hotel and that's minor.
Good part: location was great and staff was nice.

Room Tip: Staying on 14th floor and heard elevator all night, stay away from elevators.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Kerry B
Kerry B,

Thank you for sharing you experience and I will share with our team so we may improve our services.

We were recently acquired by Warwick Hotels International and many exciting improvements are on their way - new mattresses, bedding, improved elevator and HSIA services.

We hope you will return to experience our improvements in the future.

Regards,

Iowa
Reviewed 26 July 2014

This suited our needs and was booked through Jetsetter. If someone told me they had a really great price on a room here I would certainly take them up on it but I would not seek it out. It is clean, fairly quiet, and the staff is very nice and accommodating. It is not luxurious by any stretch but pretty decent. Here is the lowdown in bullet points:

Good:
-Very clean. This is the most important so thank you, Allerton!
-Mattress firm
-Linens pretty decent
-Location great
-Quiet
-good bathroom with a blow dryer
-nice staff
-Carpet in our room was nice and new looking :)
-Good neutral, inoffensive decor.
-Complimentary internet

Bad:
-parking is $60 a night. Search online and park elsewhere. This sucks eggs.
-Despite requesting a room on a high floor when booking three months prior we were given a room on the 4th floor facing the parking garage. It was as dark as night all day long. Not a huge deal bc we were not sitting in our room. I guess someone has to stay in these rooms, right?
-TV was perpendicular from our bed because room was so cramped. Not ideal for pay-per-view.
-Weird knocking noise in plumbing behind our bed about every 20 minutes. My husband said it sounded like someone was doing industrial stapling. Not a biggie, but whatever.
-Pillows awful--lumpy synthetic. When will I learn? We drove too--duh, me! Chiropractor, here I come!
-No coffee maker in room. There may have been some in the lobby, but I did not check. Without real half and half there is no point anyway for me.

So, that sums it up. We had a fabulous time and the Allerton suited us. We have had better (and cheaper) stays at other hotels (such as the Hyatt Regency, the Westin River North, The Hilton, The Allegro, and The Majestic) but the glory days are over. It is hard to find a good price at a decent hotel in Chicago these days. We actually stayed cheaper in Paris at a gorgeous hotel last summer. C'est la vie!

Room Tip: Ask not to look at the parking garage. The room does have the option of a "white noise" f...
1 Thank IowaBluebird
IowaBluebird,

I appreciate your review and will forward your concerns about your room to our engineering team.

We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your return.