“Lovely hotel but keep away from rooms by the lifts”

Warwick Allerton-Chicago
Ranked #108 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We arrived at the hotel at about 11am and went to the reception to see if they had one double room for one night, which they did and it was ready for us to use – lucky for us as it was a Friday! We did not spend much time in the hotel however the room was lovely, clean and average size. You had to pay for Wi-Fi and we struggled to get internet access in our room through our own provider however it was fine just outside on the street. Our room was next door to lift for the floor – I suppose this was because it was one of the last rooms having booked the room on the same day. This was not good. The lift was noisy going up and down all night and every time someone entered/exited the lift you could hear all the conversations, which was not good at 3am in the morning when trying to sleep. We only stayed for one night and had we stayed for longer we would have asked to be moved. There is no coffee maker in the room however they do offer free coffee in the reception area in the mornings. The hotel is in a great location. The reception staff were very helpful.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RosD20
WAHC701, General Manager at Warwick Allerton-Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

RosD20,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Warwick Allerton Hotel Chicago.

Some of our improvements in the near future include upgrading our HSIA as well as our elevators.

We hope you may allow us the opportunity in the future to offer you true Warwick hospitality.

Kindly,

Louis Van Huesden
Vice President/General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,793)

Reviewed 8 August 2014

The hotel is obviously old, but still has some class! The reception managers were not so friendly, but the rest was fine. The room was quite spacious and had a nice classic design. The location is truly perfect! Not much to say really - it's a good hotel centrally located, but that's it. Nothing really special about it.

Room Tip: Don't take a room close to the elevator
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Pink_comete,

Great to hear you enjoyed your trip to Chicago!

Our sincere apology for the lack of hospitality you encountered with your stay. As we were recently purchased by Warwick International Hotels, we are the process of improving our staff and service levels.

We hope to regain your trust again in the future when you return to Chicago.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Upon check-in (July 26th), I made only one request and that was to NOT be placed in a room across from the elevators. I explained to the employee at the front desk that I was there to work, not as a tourist (hence quiet was a priority over view or other amenities). I was given room 725. I proceeded to go up the seven flights only to see that the room was located directly across from the elevator. I was not amused. I then had to then go back down to the check-in desk and get a replacement room (#407). The same employee waited on me and claimed he didn't know that room #725 was located across from the elevators (after he acknowledged that I had very clearly stated that I did not want a room across from the elevators). It is very unfortunate that this was my experience. I work for a NY travel publishing company and was sent to update our Chicago guide. My job is to give voice to our company's travel experiences and to guide our readers to good experiences, not frustrating ones. That is why I wrote a followup letter from our NY publishing office to hotel management for an explanation. I asked them the following: Is it their policy to put someone on the check-in desk who does not know the layout of hotel? If what the employee claims is true (that he didn't realize the room he gave me was across from the elevators) then was there a way for him to ask another employee and/or resource in order to meet my clearly stated request? Also, were they aware of the long wait and full elevators? This made exchanging the room take longer than necessary. Many guests stand in front of the elevators complaining about this. Their response was that, "The hotel was recently purchased by Warwick International Hotels and we are in the process of addressing service levels, knowledge of our staff, as well as other hotel improvements, like the elevators.  We are currently in the process of our improving their efficiency and consistency." I can understand that, but until such improvements are made I can not recommend it. Because my hotel stay is not one I want repeated to our readers, it was removed from our travel guide. For every one person taking the time to lodge a complaint, there are many more who don't. I hope they make the much needed improvements in the future.

Room Tip: Be aware that some rooms (mine was) are on the busy Michigan Ave (known for shopping, dining, etc...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank freebird21
WAHC701, General Manager at Warwick Allerton-Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Freebird21,

As we noted to you in our response of your concerns via our hotel e-mail address, we are working through a transition period with our hotel and our staff which will enhance both the service and product culture of the Warwick Allerton Hotel Chicago.

Thank you again as your feedback as it will help us improve our hospitality culture.

Louis Van Huesden

Reviewed 8 August 2014

We had a great visit in Chicago because of the location of the hotel and the staff .We arrived at the hotel early in the morning, and the staff not only got us into our room early but also upgraded it. The hotel is within walking distance of 360 tower, water tower shopping mall and restaurants.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Colette k, General Manager at Warwick Allerton-Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Veronica

It was our pleasure to share our hotel and hospitality with you during your visit to Chicago.

We hope to see you again soon.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Dont even know where to begin. We made our reservations for two suites 2 months in advance, called and confirmed our arrival 2 days before and when we did it took about 60 minutes for them to give us our rooms. When we got up to them our keys did not work (1st time), one of us when back down to inform about the problem and one hour later he came and told us that our actual rooms were not available so they gave us 4 single rooms and said it would get sorted out the next day. The room I was in was not even big enough to be a bathroom, it had no place to store clothes or luggage and had no safe. The next day we repacked our luggage and went down to sort out the situation, they did not have our reserved rooms available till 2 days after so they asked us to stay there for those nights. Everytime we wanted to go into the room we needed to go down to the lobby to reactivate our key because it got blocked for some reason, this happened around 17 times total in our 6 day holiday. The third day in our stay we were asked to pay in advance for the whole holiday and by the end of that day we were supposed to have our reserved rooms which of course were not ready so they moved us to another room again. By the time we actually got to our room our holiday was pretty much over. Apart from that for some reason our room was not cleaned 2 out of 6 nights and housekeeping did not leave hand soap in the bathrooms. The beds were old and worn out. The manager in charge tried to be really helpful but the whole hotel organization was terrible. I would not recommend this hotel for any reason.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank DiegoXX
Kathryn M, Director of Sales at Warwick Allerton-Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2017

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to make your observations regarding your stay at the hotel.
We are indeed conveniently located for all our guests. Luxurious shopping areas, beautiful museums are all within walking distance.
Your constructive feedback regarding your experiences is much appreciated. As your feedback is considered as a valuable tool to ensure consistency in our usually high level service, we have shared your feedback with our ambassadors.

We appreciate your feedback, which will help us to improve our quality of service.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed staying at this hotel. The price and location couldn't be beat. We stayed in the petite room and it was more than accommodating. The staff was friendly. The room was clean and comfortable. We were in Chicago to enjoy the city and really were only in the room to shower and sleep. I didn't experience any of the issues others commented about. The air conditioning worked, the pillows were comfortable, the water pressure was good.
I would recommend and stay here again.

Stayed: August 2014

Mrspersh,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

I am happy to hear to enjoyed your time in our wonderful city and look forward to your return.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

The absolute best thing about this hotel? LOCATION! So convenient, which was the reason I booked it in the first place.

The worst? The same as almost every other review, the tiny room.

I booked a standard room for 4 nights, I am sure we got a petite because the room could not possibly be any smaller. I should have said something, but I was just happy to have arrived after travelling. It was so cramped for 4 nights, my boyfriend kept banging into things as he was trying to walk around the room. Free wifi and coffee/tea in the room would have been nice too.

The hotel is clean and the staff were always more than friendly. Would stay here again but ask for an upgrade this time for sure.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

irishgirl00,

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Our historic landmark hotel has many room types which allows our guests to choose which style is right for them.

We are glad to hear you enjoyed your time in our city and hope to see you again.

Kindly,