“The Silversmith is a gem.”

The Silversmith Hotel
Ranked #17 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Oostburg, Wisconsin
“The Silversmith is a gem.”
Reviewed 14 June 2013

You will probably choose this hotel for its location, but you will return again and again for the beautiful accommodations and the impeccable service. The staff are unfailingly smiling, genuinely eager to help, and prompt in responding to requests, though you won't have to ask for much because everything you need is already right there. And the location is perfect for seeing the city and experiencing its theater, art, parks, shopping, the lake - whatever. A magnificent find.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Frank L, General Manager at The Silversmith Hotel, responded to this review, 15 June 2013
Wow! What a fantastic review! We greatly value all your feedback and we are so happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our staff strives to welcome all our guests and show our appreciation. Thank you for choosing the Silversmith and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (559)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 13 June 2013

We stayed for a long weekend early in May and this hotel was a great, central spot for us to explore from. The room was clean and incredibly quiet - would definitely recommend staying in the rear of the hotel where the train is barely audible. I really couldn't believe how quiet it was. We walked for miles each day, stayed out late every night and would usually end up a couple blocks away from the hotel at Millers Pub. Wonderful trip!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pdxk8
Thank you so much for all your positive comments. We're very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 11 June 2013

The room was fine - good sized. The cleaning of both the room and the bathroom was sub-par. At least three items were left in the room (bobby pin, etc.) and the bathroom was not cleaned after our first night. No extras in the lobby other than lemon chilled water. Fitness room was adequate.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your review and comments. We apologize for your room not being cleaned to your expectations. We appreciate your feedback as it helps us improve the service and accommodations we provide to our guests. We hope you'll give us another try in the future.
Michigan
Reviewed 10 June 2013

While not horrible there are so many hotels in Chicago, I find it hard to imagine why someone would stay here. It is old (and I suppose, historic). Our room was small, dark and smelled super perfume-y. Maybe because I had booked through a 3rd party site they gave us the worst room they had? I had booked a room with 2 beds but upon check-in was informed "that is just a requested preference" and the only rooms they had one queen so I would be getting that. That could be a big problem, depending upon your travel circumstances. My mom and I made it work but neither of us slept well. On the plus side, great location-right near Michigan Avenue, Millennium Park, train station (not sure how the noise is in those rooms) and it was fairly clean. But like I said, there are MANY other hotels in this area. I won't stay here again. I would pay more to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank lovetogoMichigan
Frank L, General Manager at The Silversmith Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Thank you for your review and comments. Please accept my apologies for your disappointing stay with us. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you. At your convenience, please give me a call or let me know the best way to contact you. Again, thanks for your feedback and I look forward to hearing from you.
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 10 June 2013

After circling the block once, I was promptly greeted once I spotted the hotel. The valet was very nice and thoroughly inspected my car prior to parking. The front desk and all staff members were welcoming and courteous.
The high ceilings in the room just added to the spacious look and feel. The location of the hotel was excellent and I was able to walk to many shopping and dining spots. I really did not need the valet service, but I used it to get out of downtown and see the city since I paid extra for the service.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your review and comments. We're very happy that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you again on future visits to Chicago.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 9 June 2013

My friend and I recently spent 3 nights at the Silversmith from a Friday through to a Monday, and we have nothing but good things to say about our stay. The location is killer (steps away from Michigan Ave. and the El train), the room was humongous, and the service was fantastic.

Like some other reviews, our room was a suite, with a King-size bed and a separate 'sitting room' that included a pull-out couch. The bathroom was huge and housed a tub and a separate shower stall. Everything was very clean.

The staff went out of their way to ensure little things were taken care of. As our room was on the 6th floor and facing the El, it was a little loud at night, and when I realized our outer window of a double pane window was open but jammed, I reported it to the front desk. Within minutes, a handyman had arrived to the room to fix the window, and with minimized noise, we slept even better that night.

I recommend staying here! If you are from a smaller town and not used to urban sounds at night, simply ask to stay in a suite that faces away from the train. Otherwise, if you're an urban cat like myself and don't really notice the action, just book any old room and enjoy!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Frank L, General Manager at The Silversmith Hotel, responded to this review, 10 June 2013
Thanks for the great review and comments! We're glad to know that you found our location convenient to all the fun things to do in Chicago and that our staff and accommodations made for a fantastic stay here at the Silversmith. We hope to see you again in the near future!
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed 6 June 2013

The place was beautiful and clean. Staff were fabulous. I like two beds so I can spread my things on one and sleep on the other, so they assigned me a suite with a bedroom on one end, a small sitting room with a TV in the middle and a large bathroom on the other end. There was a small fridge in which to store beverages or food in the sitting room. The television in the bedroom was inside a cabinet so it could be closed when not in use. There was a large safe in the closet. (Much bigger than any other hotel I've seen.) Wi-fi was free. All around a great value within a short walking distance of Millennium Park, Michigan Avenue and the El.

The hotel restaurant is Ada's Famous Deli and Restaurant, which is really a diner. I was grateful to find a black bean burger on the menu and breakfast is served any time. Food is good, not gourmet. Service was great. Keep in mind they are only open until 1pm on Sundays, so you will have to find someplace else for dinner. Chicago has tons of great restaurants so that's not a problem.

I did not use the business center, fitness room or room service.

Room Tip: Unless you are used to the sound of trains, ask for an inside room. These rooms overlook an empty co...