“Location Location Location”

Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown
Ranked #26 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Downtown Chicago just minutes walk from Millennium Park and the shore of Lake Michegan with transport networks almost on the front door. This was a 45 min El train ride from O'Hare airport terminal and really easy to find when we arrived into downtown.
The staff were attentive and welcoming, particularly those on the lobby desk who helped with all manner of questions we had abut the local area and how to get to the Lincoln Park Zoo (well worth the visit as it's free).
Room 201 was great. It had a huge king and reasonable size bathroom. The antique furniture throughout the hotel adds to the experience, and sets the Silversmith apart from any in-city chain hotel. There was no outside noise in our room - but admittedly no view either but what do you expect on the 5th floor :)

Staff were happy to hold our bags as we arrived a number of hours prior to check-in, and when we arrived back at the hotel around 1.30 and they had ensured our room was ready early for us.

Would stay again.

Room Tip: Room 201 although near the lift has very little noise from the corridor. No view, but no outside noi...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Frank L, General Manager at Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2013

Thank you very much for your review and comments. We're happy to hear that our staff took good care of you and that you enjoyed your accommodations. We appreciate your feedback and we look forward to seeing you back at the Silversmith in the near future.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,177)

Reviewed 18 June 2013

The rooms were gorgeous and clean, far more roomy than I was expecting for the price. The location was perfect. I flew into Midway and took the Orange line straight to the hotel. When I got off, I had to walk less than a block.
But what really made this experience was the staff. Every time I came into the hotel, Enrique or another bell man greeted me at the door with a smile. They gave me some fantastic recommendations for lunch. Enrique stashed my bags for me and gave me directions to a great pizza place after I had checked out. I cannot recommend this hotel enough!

Room Tip: The elevated ran right outside my room, and I could hardly notice it. They have excellent sound pro...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Thank you so much for such a wonderful review! We're happy to hear that you took the orange line directly to our hotel. It really is a convenient and affordable way to travel downtown. We sincerely appreciate your feedback on our staff; especially Enrique. Thanks for sharing your comments and for choosing the Silversmith. Hope to see you again on your next visit to Chicago!

Reviewed 17 June 2013

I stayed here for two nights during a recent business trip to Chicago. The hotels I usually stay at were booked, so my assistant put me here based on Tripadvisor reviews. My experience was vastly different from that of others on this site. The property itself is would be acceptable as a low-end hotel, but it's a rip-off at the $400 a night they charged us. The room, on the 9th floor, faced the solid brick wall of the building next door, with plenty of noise from trucks in the alleyway below. There was no direct light in the room, and I needed to keep the lights on regardless of the hour. There was construction on the floor, which the front desk staff never mentioned. Service was mediocre at best: I had to call down when I returned at 1 PM to get my room made up. For $150 a night I wouldn't have bothered to complain, but this is really just a typical low-end hotel, and I received way too little for what they charged.

Room Tip: Insist on a room that does not face the alleyway and a brick wall - way too dark and depressing. On...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Feferl

Thank you for your review and comments. We're very disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. At your convenience, please contact me at the hotel. I would sincerely appreciate the opportunity to speak with you. Thanks again.

Reviewed 16 June 2013 via mobile

We've stated in the loop a number of times, and are very pleased with silversmith. The rooms are clean, roomy, soft towels, good showers, etc. The beds are a bit firm bit pillows are good. There is some renovation going on on the 9th floor where we are, but it hasn't bothered us. The noise from the L is nearly zero. A small rumble when it comes through. Not annoying at all and wouldn't wake you up.

The location is the real treat. You can hop on the L right out your door and easy to get to museum campus or other spots on the L. Also great walking distance to many places including millennium park, grant park, Chicago architectural foundation store and tour start, many restaurants and on and on.

We stayed here as it was a recommended hotel for a convention at McCormick. Would stay here again on a future visit.

• Stayed: June 2013
Frank L, General Manager at Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2013

Thank you so much for your great review and comments. We appreciate knowing that you found your accommodations to your liking and that our location was convenient to the many attractions here in downtown Chicago. Hope to see you on your future visits!

Reviewed 15 June 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a rare trip to the city by ourselves and stayed at this little hotel. I called ahead and requested a quiet room. When we got there before the check-in time, they had the room ready for us.
The great things about this place...
-The room was very spacious with lots of very nice furniture.
-The bathroom was spacious as well!
-Staff was very eager to help and very accommodating!
-The location was close to the public transportation.
-Within walking distance to many tourist attractions
-Rooms in the back of the building were dark and quiet, perfect for sleeping in!

The reasons why I did not give them 5 stars...
-The pluming in the bathroom was making some noise at night. When I asked the hotel staff about that the next day, they told me that it could due to some renovation that they were doing on those days.
-The king sized bed was aging and uncomfortable. I kept "falling" towards the middle of the bed.
-Despite the large size of the bathroom, the bathtub was small and low! Thus, it is only suitable for soaking your tired feet and not your whole body. This is disappointing because I was really looking forward to a nice long bath with my hubby! (After all, this was supposed to be a romantic trip!)

Overall, this is a very nice hotel. Great for couples and family!

Room Tip: call ahead to ask for a quiet room away from the L noise and away from the elevator
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Frank L, General Manager at Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2013

Thank you very much for your in depth comments and feedback. We sincerely appreciate hearing everything you said and that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you back at the Silversmith on your next visit to Chicago.

Reviewed 15 June 2013

This was a fantastic hotel. The rooms are gorgeous, large and very clean. If you fly into either airport, I'd recommend taking Chicago transit. Big advantage of this hotel is it's a few steps from the Madison/Wabash stop. The lines from O'Hare(blue) and Midway(orange) both stop here. The staff were great and very helpful. The lobby is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. The fitness room is open 24 hours. Only one small block from Millennium Park.

Room Tip: Third floor might be a bit noisy from the transit, but on our eighth floor we couldn't hear it...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Wow! Thank you so much for the great review. We appreciate all your comments and thank you for choosing the Silversmith. We value your business and hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 15 June 2013

We had a bedroom with a large and very comfortable Kingsize bed, in a separate room our son (18 yrs) slept in a sofa bed that was not good but ok. The bathroom was large with separate doors from the two rooms. The location was superb, just a block from the Millenium park and easy access to the blue train to O'Hare - only two blocks away. Breakfast was not included but there was a fridge in the room if you wanted to buy some breakfast for yourself and have in the room, otherwise there was a restaurant just a floor below the lobby. We used the fitness room, not that many machines but they were all in good conditions, and there were nobody else there the occasions we used it. The room was a bit dark and the sofabed a bit worn, but it was cean, and overall the hotel was above average, really good value for money. Some other reviewers have complaints regarding the noise from the train/street, our room was on floor nr 9 and we were not disturbed at all.We would certainly stay here again next time in Chicago.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your review and comments. We're very happy that you found our location convenient and you enjoyed your accommodations. We hope to see you back on your next visit to Chicago.