“Perfect location for exploring Chicago!”

Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown
Ranked #21 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I traveled here with a group of ten people for a school trip. The staff was excellent, very helpful. The noise from the L, which is right outside of the hotel, was not noticeable. The price we paid fr our rooms also made it a great value.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Frank L, General Manager at Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2013

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff made you feel welcome. We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 18 June 2013

This is the second time we've stayed at the Silversmith and we will definitely be back!
Within walking distance of the Art Institute, Milineum Park, and all our favorite restaurants and shops. Great location, clean quiet rooms, but what really made our stay was the terrific staff. They we're extremely friendly and profession.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Thank you so much for such a fantastic review! We're happy to hear that you've stayed with us before and that you enjoy our service and accommodations. We're especially appreciative of the positive feedback on our staff. Thanks for choosing the Silversmith and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed 18 June 2013

I wrote an earlier review recounting my experience of getting to the Silversmith and being told the hotel was oversold despite the fact that a colleague and I prepaid our reservation. Somehow the review was deleted by TripAdvisor even though it met the guidelines. Hmmm.

At any rate, we were "walked over" at 1 am to another, cheaper hotel. We weren't "walked over" so much as shown the door with a letter that said the Silversmith would pay for our hotel at this other hotel. No apologies, not even directions, though the hotel did spring for cab fare after we complained about having to walk the streets in search of another hotel at 1 am.

It seems that this isn't rare at the Silversmith. Beware before you prepay. The hotel was gracious enough to refund our prepayment after I complained. Caveat emptor.

4  Thank Seattleite2013
Frank L, General Manager at Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

Following up to our previous conversation, let me know if i can be of service to you in the future. Thank you.

Reviewed 18 June 2013

Downtown Chicago just minutes walk from Millennium Park and the shore of Lake Michegan with transport networks almost on the front door. This was a 45 min El train ride from O'Hare airport terminal and really easy to find when we arrived into downtown.
The staff were attentive and welcoming, particularly those on the lobby desk who helped with all manner of questions we had abut the local area and how to get to the Lincoln Park Zoo (well worth the visit as it's free).
Room 201 was great. It had a huge king and reasonable size bathroom. The antique furniture throughout the hotel adds to the experience, and sets the Silversmith apart from any in-city chain hotel. There was no outside noise in our room - but admittedly no view either but what do you expect on the 5th floor :)

Staff were happy to hold our bags as we arrived a number of hours prior to check-in, and when we arrived back at the hotel around 1.30 and they had ensured our room was ready early for us.

Would stay again.

Room Tip: Room 201 although near the lift has very little noise from the corridor. No view, but no outside noi...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your review and comments. We're happy to hear that our staff took good care of you and that you enjoyed your accommodations. We appreciate your feedback and we look forward to seeing you back at the Silversmith in the near future.

Reviewed 18 June 2013

The rooms were gorgeous and clean, far more roomy than I was expecting for the price. The location was perfect. I flew into Midway and took the Orange line straight to the hotel. When I got off, I had to walk less than a block.
But what really made this experience was the staff. Every time I came into the hotel, Enrique or another bell man greeted me at the door with a smile. They gave me some fantastic recommendations for lunch. Enrique stashed my bags for me and gave me directions to a great pizza place after I had checked out. I cannot recommend this hotel enough!

Room Tip: The elevated ran right outside my room, and I could hardly notice it. They have excellent sound pro...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Thank you so much for such a wonderful review! We're happy to hear that you took the orange line directly to our hotel. It really is a convenient and affordable way to travel downtown. We sincerely appreciate your feedback on our staff; especially Enrique. Thanks for sharing your comments and for choosing the Silversmith. Hope to see you again on your next visit to Chicago!

Reviewed 17 June 2013

I stayed here for two nights during a recent business trip to Chicago. The hotels I usually stay at were booked, so my assistant put me here based on Tripadvisor reviews. My experience was vastly different from that of others on this site. The property itself is would be acceptable as a low-end hotel, but it's a rip-off at the $400 a night they charged us. The room, on the 9th floor, faced the solid brick wall of the building next door, with plenty of noise from trucks in the alleyway below. There was no direct light in the room, and I needed to keep the lights on regardless of the hour. There was construction on the floor, which the front desk staff never mentioned. Service was mediocre at best: I had to call down when I returned at 1 PM to get my room made up. For $150 a night I wouldn't have bothered to complain, but this is really just a typical low-end hotel, and I received way too little for what they charged.

Room Tip: Insist on a room that does not face the alleyway and a brick wall - way too dark and depressing. On...
2  Thank Feferl

Thank you for your review and comments. We're very disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. At your convenience, please contact me at the hotel. I would sincerely appreciate the opportunity to speak with you. Thanks again.

Reviewed 16 June 2013 via mobile

We've stated in the loop a number of times, and are very pleased with silversmith. The rooms are clean, roomy, soft towels, good showers, etc. The beds are a bit firm bit pillows are good. There is some renovation going on on the 9th floor where we are, but it hasn't bothered us. The noise from the L is nearly zero. A small rumble when it comes through. Not annoying at all and wouldn't wake you up.

The location is the real treat. You can hop on the L right out your door and easy to get to museum campus or other spots on the L. Also great walking distance to many places including millennium park, grant park, Chicago architectural foundation store and tour start, many restaurants and on and on.

We stayed here as it was a recommended hotel for a convention at McCormick. Would stay here again on a future visit.

• Stayed: June 2013
Frank L, General Manager at Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2013

Thank you so much for your great review and comments. We appreciate knowing that you found your accommodations to your liking and that our location was convenient to the many attractions here in downtown Chicago. Hope to see you on your future visits!