Just when one finds a hotel they like, the owners decide they need to redesign it to be look more modern? It is hard to review a hotel like this when it is undergoing such a dramatic transition and appears to be drifting away from its unique historic positioning. Based on some of the images I saw during our visit, the Silversmith is trying to be more like every other cookie-cutter hotel design. At this time there is not a functioning restaurant in the hotel due to renovations and a very basic complimentary continental breakfast is provided.
But taking design out of the equation (we love the super tall ceilings and historic hotels that embrace their heritage), the location of this hotel is great...CSO, Art Institute, Macy's, and lots of other great shopping is within easy walking distance. The front desk staff were genuinely friendly and eager to assist. The maintenance department responded promptly to our requests; nevertheless, the issues should have easily been spotted by a housekeeper and remedied. Hopefully the issue of banging water pipes will be addressed in the work being done on the guest rooms?
The housekeeping was very good; however, a major carpet stain in the sitting area was pretty hard to miss and it would pain us to think this was being ignored just because our room was slated for a redo within a short time. But extremely annoying and startling was the housekeeper knocking on our door at 9:00 AM. Even though we were scheduled to check-out within a couple of hours, a housekeeper should be advised by the front desk when a room is ready to be cleaned and there is no need for such a disturbance.
Stay tuned, we will just have to wait and see the newly "polished" Silversmith Hotel before making further determination if we will be returning. Though location is important in deciding which hotel to stay at, so is its ambiance. It is often said change is a good thing...we sure hope that will be the case at this lovely boutique hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy exceptional service, a warm and elegant setting with an unparalleled location in downtown Chicago. The Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown is a a rare gem, that is encased in classical architecture and sparkling with a new choice of luxury through contemporary spacious guest rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Agoda, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Silversmith Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Silversmith Hotel Chicago
- The Silversmith Hotel And Suites
- Silversmith Hotel Chicago