Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown
Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile(Chicago)(Great Value!)
US$320
  • Room Service
US$395
US$357
  • Pool
La Quinta Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown(Chicago)(Great Value!)
US$256
US$226
US$158
  • Room Service
2,206 results
All reviewsthe loopmillennium parkart institutegreat locationelevated traintrain noisel trainlarge bathroomwithin walking distancebrick wallthe beanblue linelight sleeperbeautiful hotelfront desk staffpublic transportationtwo blocks
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I just stayed at the Silversmith for 3 nights with my 21-yr-old daughter and we were completely happy. The service was topnotch: friendly and efficient. It actually made me wonder how the management got their workers to be so devoted.

Decor is modern, as others have stated, understated silver/grey neutrals with a pleasing look. The location was great for our purposes, as there is a metro station right outside the door for getting to the university we were visiting, and we were able to walk to sightseeing: 5 min to Millennial Park (Cloud Gate) and the Art Institute. For dining we took cabs and the wonderful doorman (Johnni) hailed one for us every time. (There are plenty of restaurants you could walk to; I just had specific ones I wanted to go to.)

Bedding was clean, nice linens, and comfy, soft bed (but not TOO soft; it was just right). The el train is indeed right outside of the hotel, and even after reading about it in Tripadvisor, I realized on the 2nd day that I had never noticed it. When paying attention, I heard a soft "whoosh," so they have done an amazing job of soundproofing. We WERE in the back and on an upper floor (10th), so that's all I can speak for.

The room was perfectly clean, with fridge and Keurig coffee maker. Only complaint is our room was a tad small, but everything else was so nice it was never a hardship. We had 2 queens. Flatscreen tv which we hardly used, good large bathroom, and robes! There were no towel racks, I think for aesthetic reasons, but a rack or 2 would have been useful.

Free wifi, and a functional business center for printing out boarding passes. Overall, I loved it and would go back. For the price downtown, I doubt you could beat it.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Hans R, General Manager at Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Thanks so much, LBoyer 57, for your comments regarding our staff. Our team works hard to provide an exceptional experience for our guests, so I'm glad to hear we exceeded expectations. Having just completed our renovations, we're happy to hear your thoughts about our new look, as well as our comfortable bedding. We're glad our central location was convenient for the sites you were visiting, and hope we will be your hotel of choice during future trips to the university. Please visit us again soon, and be sure to sample some of the delicious menu items and beverages available at Adamus.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stayed at the Silversmith for just one night and was impressed by everything the hotel offered. Compared to other hotels in the area I was able to get a suite for the price of a regular room. Everyone was helpful and courteous. The location was ideal for what we wanted to do.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank nemilt21 .

Hi, nemilt21. Thanks for choosing Silversmith for your visit to Chicago. We just completed renovations on our guest rooms and opened a new lounge and restaurant, so we hope you had a great experience with both. I'm glad you enjoyed our prime downtown location, and hope you will come see us again soon, even if it's just for a night. Thank you for the recommendation, and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

I was in Chicago for a conference, this hotel was around five blocks away, and the reviews were good so I booked it!!! I stayed four nights. Overall, definitely a great place to stay!! The décor was very modern, but very nice. The room was spotless, absolutely immaculate. My room had a king size bed, desk/chair, small fridge, Keurig with complimentary K-cups, safe, spacious bathroom with a huge shower. The location was great, I walked to the Bean, the Art Institute and Willis Tower. They did have computers that I briefly used, the staff was outstanding, and there was also a bar with a nice crowd at nights, not an entertainment bar, just a bar to socialize. All restaurants were walkable. Minimal if any noise from the EL/train which is right out front, I have no idea why you can't hear it, but it would never deter me from staying here.The only downside was a lack of microwave ANYWHERE in this building!! I don't know if it's an insurance issue, but there wasn't a microwave anywhere that I could have used for a minute?
A big plus was the staff, all very nice and helpful. I was on the 7th floor, my friend stayed on the 5th, both our rooms were equally nice, we both felt we got a great value for the money. She drove in, she did say she would have stayed longer, but the parker was $$.

Room Tip: I asked for a room in the back to minimize any noise.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Hi, Babytuxsmom. Thank you for choosing to stay at Silversmith Hotel during your trip to Chicago. We recently completed major renovations, and are glad to hear you enjoyed our new modern decor and spacious accommodations. We're delighted you were able to take advantage of our prime downtown location and visit some of the major city attractions, as well as be close to your conference location. Adamus is our new lounge and bar, and we hope you and your friend had a chance to sample some of the handcrafted beverages and delicious bites during your visit. Thank you again, for your recommendation. We hope you'll choose Silversmith during your next stay.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Everyone else has mentioned the new rooms, and I thought they were great too. Also, you don't have to face the el if you ask the front desk (I asked them and they put me in a room on the other side - they are not all on the el). The bathrooms are huge - and it's very convenient to everywhere in the loop.

I haven't posted a review in a while, but I wanted to post this. I was surprised to read all of the raves about the service at this place. I had a different experience - mostly at the bar. I just wanted a glass of wine & to use my laptop on the wifi downstairs. So, I'm just quietly doing my work and I keep hearing this man in a suit (who i would later find out is the bar manager) yelling at the bartenders (and waitress) over and over. Every time, I thought - well, maybe that's the last time & I won't bother leaving yet...but it kept going on and on and on. First, he was yelling about the computer system not working right - sort of at the bartender - or both of them. Then, the bartender asked where he could find something (glasses or some juice or something) and he yelled about that. Then, he needed a key, and he got yelled at again about that. I forgot the rest - but it just kept going on and on like this. It was getting ridiculous.

Did they not think we could hear from 2 feet away? It's awkward and unprofessional. If you have to manage this way for some reason (which in itself is a problem), do it so everyone at the bar doesn't hear you. If that weren't enough, the manager then started smashing glass bottles in the trash, repeatedly! So, it was very weird and unpleasant...and finally, once I realized this wasn't going to end, I just paid & left. I left an big tip for the bartender who had been abused for the entire hour I was sitting there. What an unpleasant place to have a quiet glass of wine! I probably wouldn't have reviewed this had I not been in a similar situation once in my own life before. It's unacceptable on many levels.

Room Tip: Ask for a side not on the el tracks.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Lori B

Hi, Lori B. Thank you for staying at Silversmith Hotel. We appreciate your comments regarding our room remodel, and are glad to hear you enjoyed the spacious guest rooms and bathrooms as well as the convenient location of our hotel. We apologize for your experience at the lounge, as we pride ourselves on providing excellent customer service and ensuring our guests feel comfortable at all times. Thank you for bringing the issue to our attention. As this is not the standard in which we operate, the matter has been addressed within our leadership team as we do not condone such behavior. We hope you will afford us the opportunity to host you during your next visit to Chicago, and allow us to provide a true Silversmith experience.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Silversmith for a romantic getaway. The hotel has been completely renovated, and everything is clean and fresh. Despite being right next to the El, we couldn't hear the train from our 4th floor rooms. Location is ideal for downtown attractions, and there are many great restaurants within walking distance. Staff were friendly and helpful, especially Adam, the food and drinks manager. The bar has a great specialty cocktail menu, and they stock a lot of things you don't see as often, which they're happy to educate you about if you are interested. They've clearly taken a lot of care in taking the property to another level. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you, yogapants72, for choosing Silversmith Hotel for your romantic getaway. We're delighted to hear you had a wonderful experience at our new lounge and restaurant, Adamus. Our staff is passionate and knowledgeable about their craft, and we take great pride in our extensive cocktail and cuisine offerings. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed our remodeled guest rooms and were able to take advantage of our central downtown location. We hope you had a romantic, wonderful stay in the city, and look forward to your next visit with us.