“A great stay”

Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown
Ranked #20 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We went to the silversmith for our honeymoon and we were very pleased. Our room was great, and the staff was incredibly helpful and always seemed to go above and beyond the call of duty. Even before we were checked in, they did everything they could to make sure our experience was great. The food at the bar is fantastic (I can heartily recommend the duck as well as the charcuterie plate). There are also a number of good restaurants nearby and it's just down the street from Millennium Park and right next to an L Station so it's easy to get anywhere in the city. You can hear the L Station from the streetside rooms but it wasn't enough to bother us. All in all, I'd be happy to recommend it.

Room Tip: Our room was by the L so we could hear it from the room, but not enough to bother us. If you don'...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hans R, General Manager at Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

PennyPriddy, thank you for your review of The Silversmith Hotel. We are thrilled to hear we could mae your honeymoon a memorable one at our recently reinvented hotel. Our team here at Silversmith works their hardest to make our guests feel right at home, and we are glad to hear we made an impact! We too love our location right along the loop. We very much hope to see you again on your next visit to Chicago and a big congratulations on your marriage!

Reviewed 11 June 2014

This hotel did not provide the room I reserved two months ago. When my family and I arrived late at night, they gave me a room without any explanation that they assigned a different room from what I reserved. After I got to the room, I thought it was much smaller than what I booked, so called the front desk and asked whether this was the room I booked or not. They answered no and explained that one guest wanted to extend their stay by one more day in the morning and all the other rooms of the hotel are occupied but this accessible room which has only one queen very small for the two adults and one small child. This hotel offered me a free breakfast instead and a change of the room to the originally booked "Executive King Suite" next day for my two-night trip to Chicago. Though I managed through the customer service center of Booking.com to get a small refund whose amount seems similar to the difference rate between the rooms that night, but my family and I could not sleep at all and could not enjoy the next day because of the tiredness after that hassle. It was a bit late to request a full refund for one night rate after the first night. And when I looked at the original "Executive King Suite", I was surprised and very angry as the room was twice the size and has a king bed enough to hold three members of the family. How could they do this kind of thing to the guests? This seems very irrational as for this luxury "boutique" hotel. My wife was 7-month pregnant and had a difficult time to sleep the day before and our short trip to Chicago was ruined by this non-professional behavior of this hotel. I do not want to recommend this hotel and if they want to choose this hotel because of the relatively lower rate among the hotels located in the downtown Chicago, I would rather recommend that they go to more comfortable international chain hotel which may be a bit away from downtown, but with the similar or lower rate. In addition, the night-turn clerks at the front desk, told me that they are not responsible because someone else extended the other guest's stay, not them. I am really really disappointed at their attitude as well.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Tae K

Tae K, let us take this opportunity to sincerely apologize that your experience at Silversmith was not up to the standards in which we typically operate. We are very sorry your preferred room was not available, and even though we did our best to accommodate your family, we recognize the situation should have been handled differently with our staff. We have addressed the issue with our team, and continue to strive to create the most comfortable guest experience with our travelers. We do hope you will reconsider Silversmith during your next visit to Chicago and allow us the opportunity to provide the true customary Silversmith experience.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I travel a great deal for work. After struggling with dragging my luggage on and off the orange line, I finally got to the bottom of the platform. I looked up and only feet away was the lovely Silversmith hotel. I was promptly greeted by a smiling door man who took my bags and told me that I could now relax. The front desk staff was prompt and very kind. When I was taken to my room, my bag was placed on a luggage rack and I was shown where all the amenities were. I spent 5 nights here and the entire time everyone was very nice and helpful. The rooms are very large and the bathroom is HUGE. I felt like I could just move in permanently.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Hans R, General Manager at Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Thank you, Dominique B, for your review of The Silversmith Hotel. We are so glad we could make you feel right at home at our recently reinvented hotel. We strive to make every guest experience special, relaxing and most comfortable. We would love to see you again on your next visit to Chicago, and hope you will have the chance to try our recently opened Adamus Lounge.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Everything about the Silversmith Hotel in Chicago was excellent. Obviously newly renovated, everything was modern and beautiful. The service was great, the bathrooms were spotless along with the entire room. The housekeeping staff was very friendly, the bellman was great, and the front desk staff was amazing. We will be going back soon!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hans R, General Manager at Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Thank you, Andrea P, for your review of The Silversmith Hotel. We are so glad to hear you enjoyed our recently reinvented space, with modern, chic decor and luxury amenities. Our staff strives to provide optimal guest service and we are so glad to hear we could accommodate. We look forward to your next visit to the Windy City!

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Impressive! The attitudes of staff/front desk: professional and friendly. Rooms: clean, quiet and well ventilated. The beds are wonderful. Bathrooms new. Food at hotel was great. Refurbished lobby is beautiful; location close to Art Institute and Millennium Park. The Value is high: significant savings over the more "traditional" (1 block away) Palmer House.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Hans R, General Manager at Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thank you, Jeffseitelman, for your review of The Silversmith Hotel. We strive to put our best foot forward when it comes to guest service, and we are so glad we could help make your stay a memorable one. We too love our clean, recently reinvented space with modern decor and large guest bedrooms. We very much look forward to your next visit when perhaps you may try our recently unveiled Adamus Restaurant & Lounge!

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Not to be cheezy, but it is a “hidden gem” of a hotel. Heavily decorated on theme with heavy silver fabrics and paints (in jewelry district). After reading all the reviews, we asked for a room off the street, in the back side of the hotel away from the noise of the train out front and it was fine, no noise. Huge king bed, bathroom had a large tile and glass shower with rain shower head (no tub). The odd thing was there were no hooks or towel bars at all in the bathroom. Guess style won over function. We checked in at 4am after our Amtrak train ran 12 hours late and the service was great, they were there to meet us (thank goodness). The staff were excellent. One of the bellman practically risked his life trying to get us a cab. We stayed 3 nights, the area seemed fairly safe and as described in other reviews the hotel itself is a little hard to find. It’s not a far walk to Millenium Park or south to Grant Park. It doesn’t look like much from the outside but it’s very glamorous once you walk in. Price was really reasonable.

Room Tip: The El Train is literally right out front of the hotel, so ask for a room in the back of the hotel t...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hans R, General Manager at Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Emmykeats, thank you for your review of The Silversmith Hotel. We too find our hotel to be a hidden gem, with a recently reinvented space that makes any vacation memorable. We are glad to hear you enjoyed our artfully designed interiors and prime location. We strive to provide the most accommodating guest services and we hope to see you on your next visit to the Windy City! Be sure to look to our website for the best deals and rates.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Spent this past Saturday night at this hotel. We had asked for king adjoining rooms and even with confirmation the week before, I was told we had them. Then we get to the front desk and I am told that with the current remodeling, there are no more adjoining rooms. I guess not all of the staff knows about this. The rooms were a nice nice, clean, furnished with very unique decor and very classy. The rooms are very sound proof and even being across from the elevator, we heard nothing. Room safe, refrigerator, a Keurig coffee maker, bathrobes, FREE WI-FI, the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on and a huge bathroom and shower were nice room amenities. The bar and restroom looked great but we did not eat a meal there. Parking is expensive so we go a parking pass for under the Palmer Hotel for 1/2 of the price and walked a block to our hotel. Easy walk. Front desk staff and doormen were very helpful and cheerful. I would not hesitate to stay here in the future. We really enjoyed it!1

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view or it is really ugly!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dawnomj, thank you for sharing your experience at The Silversmith Hotel. We apologize for the miscommunication in regards to your adjoining rooms and hope that our service and luxury amenities made up for it. Our recently reinvented space extends chic interiors and spacious rooms and we are glad to hear you enjoyed. We look forward to seeing you in the future when perhaps you may try our newly opened Adamus restaurant and lounge!