“Chicago's Silversmith Hotel a great place to stay”

Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown
Ranked #22 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 14 June 2014

The Silversmith staff is friendly, the rooms are nice, the location is perfect, and the price is reasonable for Chicago's Inner Loop. Convenient to the L's loop lines and up and coming W. Fulton Market Area. Two blocks from the Art Institute and Millennium Park and central to other Chicago sites.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Hans R, General Manager at Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Renee F, thank your for your review of The Silversmith Hotel. We are glad to hear you enjoyed our recently renovated space with spacious guest bedrooms and modern, sleek decor. We too love our location right alongside the loop that lets our guests easily explore our favorite downtown attractions and premier shopping and dining destinations. We hope to see you again on your next visit when perhaps you may check our our newly opened Adamus Lounge.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,154)

Reviewed 13 June 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at the Silversmith for a special anniversary weekend in Chicago, and we couldn't have been more pleased. Not only did they put us in a room with a city view and allow us to check in early, but they also upgraded our room for free and offered us complimentary drinks at the hotel bar! The entire staff made us feel very welcome and went out of their way to make sure we had a pleasant stay.
We would've like to have had a bathtub in our room, but the super comfy bed (we wanted to take the bed home with us), cleanliness of the room and modern updates more than made of for the lack of a tub. The bathroom was extremely spacious and the complimentary bathrobes were a nice and unexpected perk. One recommendation I would have for the hotel is to add another lock to the door (in addition to the deadbolt).
Even though the hotel wasn't in the center downtown, it's within walking distance to Millenium Park, the Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium and lots of restaurants (be sure to stop by Miller's Pub for a drink). And if the weather isn't ideal for walking, the doorman will go out of his way to flag down a taxi for you. Also, in case you don't want to wait for a taxi, the hotel is right next to the 'L' with a stop just a few feet away (Madison/Wabash); other reviewers have mentioned that it's too noisy when you're in your room, but we barely noticed it while we were there.
Needless to say, I would most definitely recommend the Silversmith to anyone traveling to Chicago--the extremely reasonable price, great location, new updates/amenities, friendly staff, etc. make the Silversmith the perfect hotel for a fun/romantic weekend getaway. Trust me, you won't be disappointed :)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you Roger S, for your review of The Silversmith Hotel. We are thrilled to hear that we could make your anniversary weekend a memorable one here at our recently reinvented hotel in the heart of Chicago. We do our best to make every occasion a special one and we are glad to hear we did our job! Our location is awesome for exploring all that the city has to offer and we hope you had a great time. We look forward to seeing you and your husband again and that we can make your next experience just as memorable as the last.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Came to Chicago on a leisure trip and couldn't have been happier with the location of the hotel and the friendly staff. The hotel is right alongside the Loop, which will take you nearly anywhere in the city. The bell staff was extremely helpful and friendly. The hotel itself, including the room, was exceptionally clean and comfortable. Would definitely recommend this place to others and will plan to look into future reservations for myself at this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Anna M, thank you for your review of The Silversmith Hotel. We are so happy to hear you had a wonderful time at our recently reinvented hotel extending artfully designed interiors and luxurious amenities. Our location alongside the loop allows our guests to explore all that the WIndy City has to offer. We very much look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 12 June 2014

We went to the silversmith for our honeymoon and we were very pleased. Our room was great, and the staff was incredibly helpful and always seemed to go above and beyond the call of duty. Even before we were checked in, they did everything they could to make sure our experience was great. The food at the bar is fantastic (I can heartily recommend the duck as well as the charcuterie plate). There are also a number of good restaurants nearby and it's just down the street from Millennium Park and right next to an L Station so it's easy to get anywhere in the city. You can hear the L Station from the streetside rooms but it wasn't enough to bother us. All in all, I'd be happy to recommend it.

Room Tip: Our room was by the L so we could hear it from the room, but not enough to bother us. If you don'...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

PennyPriddy, thank you for your review of The Silversmith Hotel. We are thrilled to hear we could mae your honeymoon a memorable one at our recently reinvented hotel. Our team here at Silversmith works their hardest to make our guests feel right at home, and we are glad to hear we made an impact! We too love our location right along the loop. We very much hope to see you again on your next visit to Chicago and a big congratulations on your marriage!

Reviewed 11 June 2014

This hotel did not provide the room I reserved two months ago. When my family and I arrived late at night, they gave me a room without any explanation that they assigned a different room from what I reserved. After I got to the room, I thought it was much smaller than what I booked, so called the front desk and asked whether this was the room I booked or not. They answered no and explained that one guest wanted to extend their stay by one more day in the morning and all the other rooms of the hotel are occupied but this accessible room which has only one queen very small for the two adults and one small child. This hotel offered me a free breakfast instead and a change of the room to the originally booked "Executive King Suite" next day for my two-night trip to Chicago. Though I managed through the customer service center of Booking.com to get a small refund whose amount seems similar to the difference rate between the rooms that night, but my family and I could not sleep at all and could not enjoy the next day because of the tiredness after that hassle. It was a bit late to request a full refund for one night rate after the first night. And when I looked at the original "Executive King Suite", I was surprised and very angry as the room was twice the size and has a king bed enough to hold three members of the family. How could they do this kind of thing to the guests? This seems very irrational as for this luxury "boutique" hotel. My wife was 7-month pregnant and had a difficult time to sleep the day before and our short trip to Chicago was ruined by this non-professional behavior of this hotel. I do not want to recommend this hotel and if they want to choose this hotel because of the relatively lower rate among the hotels located in the downtown Chicago, I would rather recommend that they go to more comfortable international chain hotel which may be a bit away from downtown, but with the similar or lower rate. In addition, the night-turn clerks at the front desk, told me that they are not responsible because someone else extended the other guest's stay, not them. I am really really disappointed at their attitude as well.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Tae K

Tae K, let us take this opportunity to sincerely apologize that your experience at Silversmith was not up to the standards in which we typically operate. We are very sorry your preferred room was not available, and even though we did our best to accommodate your family, we recognize the situation should have been handled differently with our staff. We have addressed the issue with our team, and continue to strive to create the most comfortable guest experience with our travelers. We do hope you will reconsider Silversmith during your next visit to Chicago and allow us the opportunity to provide the true customary Silversmith experience.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I travel a great deal for work. After struggling with dragging my luggage on and off the orange line, I finally got to the bottom of the platform. I looked up and only feet away was the lovely Silversmith hotel. I was promptly greeted by a smiling door man who took my bags and told me that I could now relax. The front desk staff was prompt and very kind. When I was taken to my room, my bag was placed on a luggage rack and I was shown where all the amenities were. I spent 5 nights here and the entire time everyone was very nice and helpful. The rooms are very large and the bathroom is HUGE. I felt like I could just move in permanently.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Hans R, General Manager at Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Thank you, Dominique B, for your review of The Silversmith Hotel. We are so glad we could make you feel right at home at our recently reinvented hotel. We strive to make every guest experience special, relaxing and most comfortable. We would love to see you again on your next visit to Chicago, and hope you will have the chance to try our recently opened Adamus Lounge.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Everything about the Silversmith Hotel in Chicago was excellent. Obviously newly renovated, everything was modern and beautiful. The service was great, the bathrooms were spotless along with the entire room. The housekeeping staff was very friendly, the bellman was great, and the front desk staff was amazing. We will be going back soon!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hans R, General Manager at Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Thank you, Andrea P, for your review of The Silversmith Hotel. We are so glad to hear you enjoyed our recently reinvented space, with modern, chic decor and luxury amenities. Our staff strives to provide optimal guest service and we are so glad to hear we could accommodate. We look forward to your next visit to the Windy City!