“Excellent value, excellent location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Silversmith Hotel

The Silversmith Hotel
Ranked #16 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Washington, DC
“Excellent value, excellent location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2007

I was attending a conference at the Palmer House Hilton this May. The conference rate for the Palmer was more than my employer was willing to pay ($250). So my travel agent found the Silversmith, just around the corner, for a much lower price (about $130).

I was prepared for a more 'budget' experience, perhaps even a somewhat seedy one given the price differential, but I was pleasantly surprised. The Silversmith is a very a nicely appointed hotel, and a considerable bargain in that neighborhood. My room was lovely - large enough to get some work done in, a nice comfortable bed, a huge bathroom. It was both larger and considerably nicer than a similarly priced Comfort Inn I'd stayed in on a previous business trip to Chicago. Unlike other reviewers who have complained of noise, I didn't experience any disturbances.

The location is great - right in the Loop, and right under the El - excellent access to public transit. I also had no difficulty catching a cab. Overall a great experience for the price, and if I was returning to Chicago again for work, I would definitely return.

• Liked — The excellent value for the amenities and location
  • Disliked — Really nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled on business
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (547)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2007

The property sucks you in & then, when given a little time, the flaws start to show.

I was at the Silversmith from 27-29 July 2007 for a wedding in the city (though no festivities took place in the hotel).

The Silversmith is no doubt a beautiful hotel, especially in the common areas. The woodwork in the lobby is very nice. My room (# 314) was spacious but had a rather unfortunate view of a back alley (instead of the noisy El), which meant that trash bins were being clanged around at all hours of the night. Once you have a little time you realize that it’s not as spectacular as you thought when you first entered. You notice that the blankets are a little frayed around the edges, that a button or two won’t work on the TV remote, that some of the finish work in the bathroom needs touching up, that the concierge gives you wrong directions to a restaurant, that the heavy drapes don’t quite block out all the light from the spotlights in the alley…

One thing you would expect in such a hotel would be a nicer restaurant than what is on site. “Ada’s” is just what it advertises – a deli, & one with decent food. However, there is no quiet place to sit with a drink of have a quiet conversation or a knock-your-socks-off meal. I guess the Silversmith gave up on trying to compete with Michigan Ave for the food scene – what a shame, as they could charge more, get better reviews, & actually compete with other hotels in the area like the Palmer House & the University Club.

I would strongly recommend the bar in the hotel called the 14 Karat Lounge. Though loud & packed with people, it’s a welcome respite from a hard day in the city. Tom is a phenomenal bartender who can mix a heck of a drink, give better directions & suggestions than the concierge, & gives you all the courtesies of a regular after you place your first order.

I, like others, had some issues with reservations. After they failed to email the reservations 3 times I insisted they fax the reservations to me. It was received shortly thereafter & there were no problems at check-in.

I would stay at the Silversmith again, but the price would be a consideration, as there are other hotels in the area that may not be as nice but offer similar amenities at a reduction in cost. The location of the Silversmith is ideal, with Michigan Ave one block away & a public parking garage a half block away on E Monroe saves you from the $37+tip valet fee you would be charged.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SN1752
Clarkston, MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2007

Booked this hotel through Priceline, so I didn't choose the hotel when I booked, it got assigned to me, which always makes me a bit worried! And then I had read mixed reviews here, so I wasn't sure what to expect. But I must say I was very happy...my room (404) was huge...I guess it was a suite, though that isn't what I had booked. They had ran out of baby cots, so they sent someone out to another hotel to get us one! The noise from the EL was there as others had noted, but didn't bother me as I had brought earplugs...other then that, it was absolutely quiet, clean and in a great location. Great breakfast at the Corner Bakery next door, plus the EL stops right in front of the hotel.

• Liked — Size of my room
  • Disliked — Front Desk Staff
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
Kenosha, WI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2007

In Chicago for the LATE RIDE midnight 25-mile bicycle event, we wanted a hotel that was affordable and close to Grant Park, where the course begins and ends. We also wanted a hotel that wouldn't have a problem with us bringing our bicycles into our room. (Yes, last year, the hotel we stayed at would not let us bring the bikes into our room and we worried about them being stolen the entire time.) We booked a King Suite and were upgraded to a King Whirlpool Suite at check-in. After the bicycle ride, I was so grateful for that free tub! We absolutely loved the hotel's Frank Lloyd Wright motif. Our only "problem" was a long line at check-in. The problem was that the woman infront of us was upgraded, free of charge, to a better room and she couldn't understand that it was actually free. Yes, lady, this is something that hotels sometimes do because they overbook. Take the room and move on. We had our *active* toddler daughter with us, so after hearing this woman debate the free room issue for 15 minutes, we just wanted to get our key card and get it to the room. The room - WOW! We've traveled a lot and we've never had a room this nice for what we paid. The ceilings and windows were high. Breathtaking. We didn't want to leave the room come check out time. Hell, it was larger than our first apartment. The bathroom was huge. Shower, whirlpool tub, robes, thick and juicy towels. Bed was comfortable. I would have liked more blankets, but that's because I am a blanket person. No complaints from my daughter and husband. Room service was expensive, but it is at every other hotel as well. Free bottled water in mini-fridge was a nice touch. Great door men at the enterance. This is our hotel from now on for ALL our Chicago trips. (We come down often for cycling events.)

• Liked — High ceilings and windows.
  • Disliked — It could use more blankets.
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank chersolly
Simi Valley, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2007

We two ladies of a "certain age" planned a long weekend in Chicago in April, 2007. Travelzoo had a special for the Silversmith so as usual I checked out the TripAdvisor reviews. They were quite mixed but we decided to make reservations anyway since they had a good rate of $139 for a suite with 2 double beds. When we arrived from Midway a double/double suite was not available until the next day (there was a conference at the hotel) but they gave us our choice of a room with 2 double beds or a king suite for $60. We chose the King suite which had a bathroom as big as a typical european hotel room but the sofa bed was not very comfortable. The next day we moved to a suite with double beds which was very nice with a sitting room with two comfortable chairs/foot stools & large TV. The El is very close & easy to navigate from Midway. We could hear the trains but it was more like "white noise". The bar downstairs was fun but lots of smokers so we weren't able to stay there long. Ada's, the deli was good for simple food, breakfast, etc. but Murphy's down the street was a great old non-smoking place with really good food. We walked to the Chase Auditorium for a taping of a PBS radio show and the two day tourist pass allowed us on all the public transportation to the Navy Pier, The Water Tower, Midway Airport and the train station on the last day. All in all a very pleasant adventure. I will agree that the hotel's reservation system could use some improvement but Brian at the hotel's desk was very helpful in making sure we were comfortable. If we could get another great rate I would definitely stay there again.

Stayed April 2007
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2007

We have been going to Silversmith for several years and have found it to be a great place to stay. The location is close to everything. We usually go 2-3 times a year and park the car til we leave. Everyone is very helpful. The rooms are not huge but are well appointed and we are not in the room. It is close enough to walk to shopping, use the trolley for the museums, walk to the theater, walk to the lakefront or a restaurant. We live in the suburbs and know the downtown area and we choose to go to Silversmith when we want to spend time in the city. We have been there at all times of the year and have never had a complaint. The area is very safe at night too.

Stayed December 2006
chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2007

got this hotel for $80/night. it had a great location, only 1 block from the art institute and very close to the taste of chicago food festival. it's only 1 block to the "el" for anyone needing public transportation. the staff was very courteous and the room was larger than what we've stayed in before. the bathroom was large and the towels were fluffy. if i had any complaint, it would be that you can hear every door shutting and that was very annoying to me as a light sleeper.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — noise from other doors shutting
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple