“Great location for exploring downtown Chicago , comfortable room that might be noisy.”

Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown
Ranked #21 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 7 December 2010

We stayed here for two nights after a business trip brought us to Chicago. We got a good internet rate. If you ride the Metra line and get off at the Madison station you are just steps from the front door. That is a very good thing for getting around but it is noisy. We requested a quiet room away from the Metra line and were put in the side area behind a building. The noise from the El echoes through the empty space and is noticeable but the train stopped running at 1 pm and started up again at 4 am so I got some sleep. The room is clean, comfortable, and has a coffee maker and refrig.. The lobby is very large and comfortable and they have two computers available for use. The elevator is card run so I felt safe. The hallways and doors are noisy and we did hear several loud guest during the night going to their rooms. We ate at Ada's one night and it was good.
I found it strange that the hotel has a policy against bringing alcohol into the hotel or it will charge a corkage fee on it. Not sure how they enforce this as it did not affect us but made us wonder if they go through your luggage or drawers to enforce? We always purchase diet coke and save on this cost .

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank FloridagirlP-cola

Reviewed 2 December 2010

Fabulous stay! Chief Consierge Peggi is awesome! One call and she got to work. A very special birthday weekend with my 80 year old father was made even more special by Peggi's touches. She arrange for adjoining rooms, made lunch reservations close by, a special dessert - on the house - was presented after our meal. Hints on how and where to see the city from atop a skyscraper was very helpful, avoiding lines and standing. Dinner reservations near the Chicago Symphony were made and again, another birthday dessert - Happy 80th Birthday! Arriving back in our room, we were surprised with a platter of chocolate brownies and fruit. WOW! My Dad is still talking about the great trip and the great hotel -- "How did they know it was my birthday everywhere we went?" The rooms were very comfortable, clean and quiet. Many, many thanks again! Rod and Nancy

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 November 2010

My only complaint is that the valet parking is $46! I would recommend that you drop your things off in your room and then drive 2 blocks to the Grant Park garage (under Millenium Park) and save yourself some money ($30/24 hours). The Art Institue is free on Thursday night, the archictectual tour of Chicago via the river (hosted by the Architectural Foundation) is $32/person for a 90 minute tour- well worth it, and the view from the Lounge atop the Hancock building was worth the $13 drink. I think that the hotel cost was about $140/night . The room was quiet, the view of the building next door wasn't good, but we were in the room for sleeping only.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank ALS002
Reviewed 3 November 2010

You can hear the train. It was loud. If you're not used to hearing noise, do not stay in this hotel. The front desk was really rude. They charge me more than what was in their website. They overcharge me during my stay. I hope the management from Silversmith will read this comment

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank IamaSanDiegan
Reviewed 27 October 2010

Very quiet hotel in the middle of the loop. Rooms a bit outdated, but HUGE !
Room was clean.
Staff friendly.
Nice and pleasant older hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 October 2010

I booked this hotel for my friend's bachelorette weekend. We had eight of us stay here and it was really nice. If I'm being perfectly honest, we just needed a place to sleep once we were done being out for the night :)

The hotel is in a conveniant location and we enjoyed the nearby shopping. It was also only a short distance from the the restaurant we stayed at. My only complaint is that it does blend in with the other stores on the street, but that's all.

The staff was very nice and helpful. Our rooms were nice, large, and comfortable. I would come back.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 October 2010

Invited friends and arranged for a suite ("private bedroom and separate living room with comfortable pull-out couch, sleeps 4"). Great location is about all I can say that's positive.

The smell was bad in the room when we went in- moldy and musty. Windows didn't open, and anyway they were overlooking a brick wall and HVAC units and into someone's bathroom. We turned on the AC which sounded like a freight train, but cleared the air a bit. The bathroom was large, and looked and smelled clean. The "suite" consisted of one cramped, dark room, separated into two spaces by a partial-height semitransparent partition that didn't in any way block sounds or light. There was a 1.5-inch gap between the bottom of the front door and the hallway, meaning that one could clearly hear (and see the shadows of) people walking past the room in the hallway.

The bed in the living room was- well- I wouldn't really call it a bed. Three inches of wire springs covered by oddly discolored canvas, overlying three hard metal bars and some wires for the "bed frame". Sitting on the bed between metal struts resulted in dipping down at least a foot.

We took the mattress off the couch frame and put it on the floor so at least it would be flat. It actually hurt to walk on it with bare feet due to the metal springs. It compressed to about an inch-think pancake. I called downstairs and asked if they had any mattress pads or another mattress and they said "no". They did not offer any assistance. I padded the mattress with all the towels and blankets I could find, and called down for some more. After several calls, two towels and one blanket arrived, 40 minutes later.

The king size bed in the "bed room" was very hard but otherwise manageable. Pillows were nice and plush. I have dust mite allergies and had to use my inhaler throughout the night.

After a long and uncomfortable night, (btw LOTS of noise from the train, didn't bother us so much but if you were sensitive to that stay away from the train side of the building), we checked out. The front desk person charged my card for the night we didn't stay, claiming there was a "penalty" for early check-out. I explained the situation but she said "that's the first complaint I've ever heard about the bed in the living room". Given how bad it was I simply cannot believe that to be true. In any case, the front desk person said there was no manager reachable for another 26 hours and there was nothing she could do. We paid and fled. I will never go back and don't recommend to anyone else.

BTW, i did see another room on a higher floor. Similarly dank gloomy and musty, wouldn't want to stay there either. Other points: Wireless had poor to non-existent service in the room. Breakfast downstairs was fine. Parking was $40/day.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business