Courtyard Chicago Downtown/River North
  • Room Service
  • Bar/Lounge
Excellent 5/5
  • Restaurant
All reviewsdonut shopmarriott courtyardaverage courtyardgreat locationdonutsriver northwithin walking distancethe magnificent milestate streetstreet noisehot tubfire stationnavy pierchicago downtownfront desk stafffew blockswould stay here again
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 December 2013

This hotel exceeded expectations. It was quiet (barring the occasional emergency vehicle), clean, comfortable, and very well located. Within 8 blocks walking distance you have shopping, Cloud Gate, many excellent restaurants, theater row, Millennium Park, ice skating, Art Institute, etc. the price at $150 per night mid December was extremely reasonable. There was a really neat bar / restaurant adjacent to the lobby. I also liked the layout of the room as the bed faced the window and you do not share wall space with the bed the in next room. Nice downtown views from all rooms. The staff was really friendly and helpful. Loved them. Will stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Julie A
Frankie S, Senior Executive Assistant at Courtyard Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Hello Julie!

Great to hear from you. We're so glad you enjoyed your recent stay with us! Being in the heart of the city does have it's perks- being a short walk from nearly everything is definitely one of them!

You had some really insightful notes on the layout of our guest rooms. You may find this article on the Marriott "Underground" design lab interesting! ---> http://bit.ly/1h9eHLu

Thank you again for choosing us for your stay. We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Great River North location, walkable to lots of fun Chicago experiences! There was a goof on our reservation when I checked in on Friday night, but the management team went out of their way to make it right.Their response to this reservation mix-up far exceeded my expectations and has certainly earned my loyalty. In fact, absolutely every staff member I encountered was super friendly, welcoming and professional.
The hotel lobby is small but clean and efficient. The rooms were clean and updated. There is a nice-ish restaurant off the lobby. The coolest thing just off the lobby of this hotel is Glazed and Infused....a boutique donut shop that had ridiculous donuts. When we all came in from a night on the town, there were samples of these donuts in the lobby and that determined our first stop in the morning :)
While this isn't some opulent property, it was a tremendous value and perfect location. My room was on the 10th floor and faced State Street. There was considerable noise (sirens, horns, party people) late into the wee hours, but I always expect that in an area like this. Light sleepers may want to bring ear plugs. The beds and pillows were comfortable and supportive. We'll be back!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Julie C

Hi Julie,

Thank you so much for your review! We appreciate the time you took on it. I'm really glad to hear that our team was able to go above-and-beyond for you; it's what we enjoy doing most!

I agree- Glazed & Infused have the best doughnuts ever! It definitely is a good way to start a sleepy morning. Next time, I recommend trying a Davanti Enoteca breakfast- their sausage is unbelievable!

We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Being in the heart of the city, guests can sometimes hear the sounds of the city in the evening. As for your recommendation of ear plugs- we always have them in stock at the front desk for our light-sleeping guests!

Julie, we really hope to see you again soon. Thank you so much for choosing our hotel!

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Stayed here for a night and was the longest night I have ever went through. It was like we had the windows open all night long the bed was very uncomfortable. The staff is great, location was on however over all I will not be staying here again.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank TheRealFact

Hello,

We appreciate your review. We are very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us recently. Although being in the heart of the city naturally lends itself to city noise, we are working on finding solutions to help further sound-proof our rooms. We are glad you enjoyed our staff, and we are sorry you did not rest well. We really hope you will stay with us again and give us another opportunity to 'wow' you.

All my best,

Reviewed 14 December 2013

While the location is great, my friend and I both had a terrible night sleep. The beds were lumpy and so creaky...anytime one of us rolled over, the noise would wake the other person! And the walls were so thin. It did not help that we had noisy children to one side and group of partying to the other. Everything else was fine...clean rooms and good service.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Corinne A

Hello Corinne!

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we're doing. I'm very sorry to hear that you and your travel companion did not have a restful night. Providing an excellent night's sleep to our guests is a top priority, and your experience did not reflect that. I'd love to talk more with you regarding your stay. More details will help us to mend any issues and provide better service moving forward.

I'm really glad you enjoyed the location, cleanliness, and service. In the future, we'll work hard to make sure that every aspect of your stay is excellent!

If you are willing, please reach out to me at your earliest convenience.

frankie.solomon@marriott.com

Reviewed 11 December 2013

My family and I stayed at this hotel for the Chicago Marathon. We primarily chose this property based on its proximity to the Magnificent Mile and race events. I know that Courtyard hotels tend to be pretty reliable in terms of quality. This was no exception. The staff was very friendly and helpful. On our final day there, the staff even directed us to a terrific breakfast location (even drawing a nice map for us to the location and telling us her recommendations on the menu). The room was very clean and relatively large for a city hotel.

The one drawback to this property was the lack of on-site eating options. The hotel restaurant was NOT good. Post marathon, my family went down to the restaurant. To be honest, all I wanted was a glass of wine and some type of food. After waiting for 45 minutes for some brushetta, I learned that the staff failed to even order it. My glass of wine took nearly 20 minutes to arrive (even though I was sitting at the bar and it was not crowded). Overall, we cancelled the order for food and went elsewhere. The service at the restaurant was the one bad mark against the property.

The price of the room, for a Courtyard with relatively few frills, was quite high. Next time, for only a bit more money, I would pay to stay at the Marriott on the Magnificent Mile. The extra money would be worth it for better amenities.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Triattygirlpa

Hello Triattygirlpa,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are very glad you enjoyed the large accommodations and found our staff helpful. We are sorry to hear that you did not receive exemplary service at Davanti Enoteca. We've brought your review to the attention of our restaurant management team, and I know they are taking steps to make sure the best training and service are in place in the future.

I understand you also felt our rate was particularly high, and I'm sorry you feel this way. Our rates fluctuate based on demand, conventions, sporting events, and more. The Marathon is one of the busiest weekends on Chicago's calendar, and the rates at hotels around the city tend to reflect that.

We'd love to have you come stay with us again on another weekend! We feel our unique services, room size, and staff are really stand-out in the Chicago area. We hope to see you again!