“Nothing special...except maybe the staff”

Courtyard Chicago Downtown/River North
Ranked #93 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 29 May 2014

While it was a nice, average Courtyard hotel, for the money, I would prefer something a little nicer. Maybe that is not possible. The location was pretty good. I took the train from Midway and got lost, the front desk clerk gave me excellent directions and was very helpful. The walk to the hotel was about 6 blocks and it was very simple to find, once I knew where to go. Check in was a breeze. I did not eat in the hotel restaurant, but a few in my group did and said it was very good. My biggest issue is that I was in a room right across from the elevator. It was very noisy every night. I did ask to be moved, but at the time they had no other room available. I was attending a large convention and did not have time to call the front desk back and move all of my stuff. Also, the entrance to the hotel is kind of hidden away off the main thoroughfare, so geting a taxi could be a little challenging at times. The doormen were very adept at this skill. Wouldn't be my first choice for my next visit to Chicago.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Beth M, Manager at Courtyard Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Thank you for your kind comments about the front desk and bellman at the hotel. We pride ourselves in having a great staff and great location. I apologize that you were in a room near the elevator, and we were not able to move you during your stay. I do understand that getting a good nights sleep is a very important part of staying at a hotel. I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback regarding your stay.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We recently stayed 3 nights at this Marriott and enjoyed every minute. This location is an easy walk to all downtown and Near North venues and, if you want to venture further, the Elevated station is two blocks away. The very friendly staff and local restaurants completed a wonderful stay.

2  Thank hoosierdaddy12500
Beth M, Manager at Courtyard Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Thank you for your "Excellent" review of The Chicago Courtyard Downtown River North. I am always happy to hear that people had a great time at the hotel and enjoyed the city. Chicago is a fun and we are lucky enough to be in the middle of it all.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The staff was amazing! Adrian, at the front desk, was personable and welcoming. She made us feel like family. She always greeted us warmly and gave us special Chicago information, the knd only a true "Chicagoan" can do! Dan helped me with airline computer check-in and extended offers for other services at check-out. The bellhops were classy and hard working. They went above and beyond, including offering us an umbrella to use while it was raining and checking on our pre-paid ride to the airport. It is very clean and quiet. Hats off to housekeeping! Also, the hotel is centrally located. We certainly plan to stay there again!

Room Tip: We were on the 15th floor and it was very quiet.
1  Thank Mary J
Beth M, Manager at Courtyard Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Thank you so much for your excellent review of The Chicago Courtyard Downtown/River North. I am so glad that Adrian and Dan were able to provide you with the excellent service we pride ourselves on at the hotel. I really appreciate you remembering their name so they get personalized recognition. I hope we have the pleasure to have you as guests on your next visit to Chicago.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

This is an excellent location for visiting the River North, Magnificent Mile, and Loop area of Chicago, with easy access to a vibrant restaurant scene, thriving shopping district, and entertainment attractions.

The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, and the room was clean, more spacious than many other city properties I've seen. We really appreciated the quick walk to the Red Line station, to Michigan Ave, the restaurant scene of River North, and the Chicago River. The bed was comfortable, the room was very clean, and the lobby was compact but welcoming.

My only notes for other travelers are as follows:
Yes, there is a fire station a block away, and we did hear fire alarms throughout the night at one point, but still slept well overall.
The restaurant is not your typical Courtyard scene...it's an Italian wine-themed restaurant, and there's a donut shop next door.

These are small concerns, though, for the location, staff, and spacious rooms. I would definitely stay here again while in town.

Room Tip: Try to choose a room that faces south towards the river and loop, or east towards the Magnificent Mi...
1  Thank PittTrvlr

Thank you for your very detailed review of the hotel. We pride ourselves in having a great staff and the perfect location. I am so glad that you were able to enjoy your visit to Chicago.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

If you need a guaranteed good central location and a clean room in downtown Chicago, this is your property the staff I dealt with during my stay was nothing to write home about, but I had no problems. The room was standard, but in perfect condition and I am real pickey. No view here, really, so just go for convenience, the elevator is busy and so is the gym. On the plus side, a full bar if the weather is miserable (as it was in MAY) and if you do brave the Chicago outdoors, many options are available within a short walk. Just don't go here for a romantic weekend.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. I am glad that you were happy with the cleanliness of the hotel and the location. I hope that the weather is a little better for your next trip to Chicago. If not, the bar will be open!!

Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

We (myself, wife, and parents) stayed here two nights for a weekend in Chicago. The hotel doors open right in the middle of everything downtown. It's perfect for a weekend trip as you can travel quickly and efficiently to various areas. The staff was exceptionally friendly, helpful, accessible, and knowledgable about the area and local transportation. Next time we're in town, this is definitely where we'll stay. I cannot say enough how much we loved this hotel. Also, very important: there is an incredible donut shop just outside the hotel doors called "Glazed and Infused." The donuts are as good as the name is clever. We had this for breakfast both mornings.

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Nathan W

Thank you for your "Excellent" rating. I am so glad that you and your family were able to enjoy the great staff and location that The Chicago Courtyard Downtown/River North strives to provide. You will have to come back soon and see what new donuts Glazed and Infused comes up with for the summer.

Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

We always feel welcomed by a great staff. Location is perfect. With a small child we stay on the same floor as the pool. The inside pool is nice and clean and great for kids. Right by Garrets popcorn and Starbucks is on site. Nice restaurant and bar. We'll be back.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank MIfan49265
Brandi G, Administrative Assistant at Courtyard Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

WOW we want to celebrate you, and thank you for making the Chicago Downtown Courtyard River North your first choice hotel. It is such a pleasure to know that you enjoy our staff and that we take such great care of you and your family while in Chicago. We look forward to your future stays with us, again thank you for making us your first choice hotel.